Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

93mm whittler mod.

se Offline stoneshank

93mm whittler mod.
on: February 24, 2018, 06:51:51 PM
I have in the past months done five-six iterations of my recruit (later cadet) mod.

Now I feel "done" with the actual modding challenge. My "Whittling Cadet" (picture: 2x recruit+ MFW wood saw) that in the end went from five layer (!) to four (still!). Four chisels and for blades. I plan on reducing it to three layers eventually but atm it works fine.

My new plan is to make a three layer 93 mm. Chisel layers aside (which may or may not end up with an electrician blade), I want to have one layer work two main blades in. For whittling I want as short blade as possible to keep control without using too much force. So the blades will probably be one wharncliffe (see picture for the idea of it if unsure) and one with a shortened version of normal Victorinox shaped one.

Question:

My thinking is about the spring - is it possible to reshape the spring to accommodate a second main-blade instead of the awl?

« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 06:54:06 PM by stoneshank »

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Re: 93mm whittler mod.
Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 07:13:26 PM
Probably.  I can have a look later if you like.  If they're big/robust enough, you could just put either the electrician's blade or the puner hawkbill there instead - both will fit just fine in place of the awl.  Or the pen blade from a 91mm knife.

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 07:56:55 PM
Cool! To clarify, the idea is to have two 93 mm blades in one layer. They will be shortened by intent of better control so they will def not hit each other but they will be in the same layer.

Sent from my Whittling Cadet using Tapatalk

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 04:55:45 AM
Very nice set of whittler tools in there :cheers: :like:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 11:07:48 AM
The two ends of the spring are different so the blade on the ‘wrong’ end of the spring will sit a bit further down into the knife. It’ll probably work ok - certainly worth trying.

You might find that there’s not enough width for both blades if the blade layer is next to the scale. Placing the blade layer in the centre will give them a bit more space.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 11:11:28 AM by hiraethus »

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 05:59:22 PM
The two ends of the spring are different so the blade on the ‘wrong’ end of the spring will sit a bit further down into the knife. It’ll probably work ok - certainly worth trying.

You might find that there’s not enough width for both blades if the blade layer is next to the scale. Placing the blade layer in the centre will give them a bit more space.
Thanks! Invaluable info , much appreciated. So far I've only done some test reshaping of chisel and blade to see how it goes and what I feel is missing.

Sent from my Whittling Cadet using Tapatalk

gb Offline Rob2CV

Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 08:01:15 PM
Great thread for a new, would be SAK modder like myself. Reshaping the tools to another use is something which I had not thought of.
:-)

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 04:51:35 AM
Great thread for a new, would be SAK modder like myself. Reshaping the tools to another use is something which I had not thought of.
:-)
John the fun. Pics of mod so I can steal  it from you

~ if you're not good, be creative ~

gb Offline Rob2CV

Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 07:50:20 PM
I was hoping to copy you! ;)

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #9 on: April 01, 2018, 09:19:14 PM
I'm checking out the steel on the 100 mm blades, can recommend! I'm thinking of having one 93 mm  with chisels and a 100 mm wharncliffe gardener

~ if you're not good, be creative ~

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 01:58:48 PM
This is what I use for chisel works. Got two sets of small and larger chisels. One set is straight and one set is concave. I used the most beaten up parts I could find as it will be used until I figure out another way I want it.

The idea behind this though out that you can bring with you chisels this way and use whatever knife you want to whittle with without losing out on the wood chisel department.

~ i love whittling and SAK's  ~

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD