Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A day of lost and found

Offline raider502

A day of lost and found
on: February 25, 2018, 01:28:52 AM
Well today has been a bittersweet day.  I found something very near to my heart and lost three vital parts of my EDC.

First, I found the challenge coin that I was given by our Brigade when I came back from Iraq in 2004.  I had lost the coin about a year ago and today while walking past a bookshelf in the house I noticed it pushed to the back of an empty shelf just at eye level.

As high as I felt finding that coin I then realized that I had lost my Fisher Space Pen.  I was wearing my Vertex Phantom pants yesterday and I’ve noticed that when I sit down almost everything in my pockets come out and I guess that’s when I lost the pen.  I hope I will find it soon but so far all the places I’ve looked have come up dry.

I took my wife and kids out to dinner tonight and when we got home I ran to Lowe’s to get a Nite-Ize Doohickey for my keychain and when I got in the truck to put it on my keychain I realized that my Nitecore Tube and SAK Rambler were missing.  I had them on a regular key ring on a Nite-Ize slidelock carabiner and now they are gone.

So it’s now time to look for a replacement for some of my EDC items.  Does anyone have any suggestions for replacement items.  I really like the Tube but there are several other models of it now.  I also like the Rambler but I’m thinking about maybe replacing with a MiniChamp.  I am not interested in a Gerber Dime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Re: A day of lost and found
Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 01:41:48 AM
Good news on the coin.  :cheers:

Bad news on the lost edc items.  :-\

Fisher Space Pen: If you're not thinking of getting a new one, you could get another pen and have a Fisher refill in it. Like a Zebra or something. Or just get a different color Fisher?

Nitecore Tube: Well, there's the Nitecore Tip. Three times the price of a Tube, though. I have three Tubes, and as long as you don't drop your keys, they're ok.

Rambler: I have a Manager on my keys. Rambler plus pen. I have a MiniChamp, but it's too thick for the arguably less useful implements it offers. Scissors, blade, file, Phillips are just about right. Plus a pen.

Also, I had a lobster claw on my keys, which held a Leatherman Micra. One day I took my keys out of my pocket, and the Micra dropped to the floor. I did not lose it, nor did it sustain any damage, but the lobster claw was promptly replaced by split rings. I suggest you get a more secure carabiner, maybe one that locks, or split rings.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 01:43:36 AM by ReamerPunch »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 09:32:02 AM
It's nice that you found your coin.  :salute:

Too bad about the edc..  :cry:

Is it just tube style lights you want or would you be interested in a AAA light?
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 11:33:59 AM
Well, I guess the challenge coin is the one thing that's not really replaceable. Sorry about the edc stuff, especially the pen (I lost mine about twenty-odd-odd years ago, same thing, slipped out of my pocket in a pub bar while underage drinking)... but at least if offers an opportunity to research, aquire and enjoy new kit!  :tu:

...shame about the pen though...  :facepalm:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 11:37:51 AM
slipped out of my pocket in a pub bar while underage drinking)...
Retribution? :whistle:

All hail the hook!

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 11:42:21 AM
slipped out of my pocket in a pub bar while underage drinking)...
Retribution? :whistle:

Indeed. At the time I was so chuffed that I got away with it that I didn't care too much about the pen. I did later though. Plus I was pretty trollied!

Offline raider502

Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 02:02:13 PM
It's nice that you found your coin.  :salute:

Too bad about the edc..  :cry:

Is it just tube style lights you want or would you be interested in a AAA light?

Not necessarily tied to the Tube although I do like it as a keychain light. I’m open to recommendations.  I carry a FourSevens Preon 2 in my pocket each day and prior to that had a Fenix LD02 that went the way of the Space Pen.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 02:10:33 PM
Glad you found your challenge coin and thank you for your service !   :salute:

Lots of good small flashlights these days and the Micra is a pretty great little keychain tool.   :tu:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 02:25:53 PM
I have lost a few Fisher Bullets over the years and have tried replacing them with other pens, and none have been able to replace the Bullet.  Here are a few of the ones I've tried:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,71747.0.html

The last one I lost was when I was hanging over the side of a ship and it fell out of my pocket.  I watched it fall into the cold Atlantic, and there is no way in Hell I was going to go after it... although I will admit that I did consider it for a moment.

I'm glad that you found your coin though- the rest of the stuff is frustrating but easily replaced.  The coin, not so much, and I'm sure you have no interest in going to try and earn another one!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 03:06:24 PM
I love these Fischer bullet pens, but they do seem to get themselves lost easily. I've been carrying my current FSP in a caddy in my front pocket. We'll see how long it stays with me.  :D

Excellent unit challenge coin!  :tu:

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 12:27:41 AM
replace the tube with tini

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 01:20:43 AM
You guys do realise that if you have the clip on your bullet stuck on well, you can thread a small string through the hole in the end of the clip to help prevent loss of the pen?

All hail the hook!

Offline raider502

Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 02:09:35 AM
You guys do realise that if you have the clip on your bullet stuck on well, you can thread a small string through the hole in the end of the clip to help prevent loss of the pen?

I had a clip on my very first space pen and I was not a fan of the clip but I do appreciate the advice. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD