Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Current Leatherman Tools Collectors May Overlook

chrono · 45 · 4032

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
The Current Leatherman Tools Collectors May Overlook
on: February 25, 2018, 04:40:06 AM
I think the Red Cross Charge kit (aka Charge AL in red), and the Skeletool Damasteel are being overlooked. The Charge AL Prep kit is offered at an excellent price for a Charge + full bit kit + a head lamp for $95.96 (https://www.leatherman.com/charge-al-prep-kit-518.html?cgid=multi-tools). The Skeletool Damasteel also came down from its MSRP of $175.95 to $140.76 (https://www.leatherman.com/skeletool-damasteel-519.html).

Do you know about the .97 price ending at Costco and .98 at BJ's as indication of sale / clearance price? I think it may be similar with Leatherman pricing. I am very tempted for the AL kit.

They also have some hoodies on sale for $11/ea (https://www.leatherman.com/black-logo-zip-front-sweatshirt-438.html?cgid=gear#start=1)

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Re: The Current Leatherman Tools Collectors May Overlook
Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 04:44:15 AM
I did not even know there was a red Charge!  :o

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 05:10:36 AM

Now you do  :D

This kit is cheaper than a single Wave +. People are paying $100+ for standard AL on eBay.  :o

I believe this red Charge does not have the plates on the handles. The scales may be just plain as with the overpriced Shinola Charge.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 07:07:17 AM

Now you do  :D

This kit is cheaper than a single Wave +. People are paying $100+ for standard AL on eBay.  :o

I believe this red Charge does not have the plates on the handles. The scales may be just plain as with the overpriced Shinola Charge.
But the shinola looks very classy and collectible, I wouldn't but I'd love one. The red one looks cheap, no? But the cause is 1000% better!! Hands down
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 07:26:56 AM
I disagree on it looking cheap. It looks really nice, almost like a cellidor sak.  :D

Is it a clearance price though? What was it a month or two ago?
If I knew it would either disappear or its price go up, I'd get one. It also has a bit kit and a LL headlamp. The price seems great to me.

What batteries does the headlamp take? :think:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 08:13:31 AM
What batteries does the headlamp take? :think:

3 x AAA

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 09:03:42 AM
  If was a Salvation Army endorsement I'd be on it. However the Red Cross does little in comparison - although the Red Cross is all over the media.
  CEO wise, the Salvation Army get about 5 figures whereas the Red Cross CEO gets a hefty 6 digit salary. Yet I personally think The Salvation Army does more.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 09:26:29 AM
In the US  maybe -internationally the Red Cross is much bigger/well known/active and in many countries, e.g. Austria it has similar functions to the emergency services.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 11:32:02 AM
Cool, ordered a hoodie. Chose M for size, but mostly buy L if it’s slim fit and M for regular. Hope it’ll fit
Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 01:44:00 PM
I just placed an order for the Red Cross charge! It's even cheaper than a wave with bit kits.  :cheers:

Thanks for the tip off!

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #11 on: February 25, 2018, 03:52:28 PM
It is ECON 101 time  :D If you buy the kit, and unload the head lamp and bit kit on eBay, the Charge cost is about only $60. I highly think this kit is on clearance, as the plier head is old style.

Edit: I just bought one, together with a L-size hoodie, and a mousepad. I tend to be rather forgetful, so I just buy one now.  :cheers:
Also, the Skele Damasteel did come down in price, but not for the first time. It was on sale at $150 at the end of Dec 2017 (https://www.couponchief.com/leatherman)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 04:07:24 PM by chrono »

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 25, 2018, 04:08:31 PM
It is ECON 101 time  :D If you buy the kit, and unload the head lamp and bit kit on eBay, the Charge cost is about only $60. I highly think this kit is on clearance, as the plier head is old style.

Edit: I just bought one, together with a L-size hoodie, and a mousepad. I tend to be rather forgetful, so I just buy one now.  :cheers:
Oh, cool, if you don’t mind sharing - what’s your height and weight approximately? I still don’t know what to do - should I ask the support to change for L sized hoodie or stay with an M
I’m 185 cm high and 85 kg

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #13 on: February 25, 2018, 04:20:36 PM

Oh, cool, if you don’t mind sharing - what’s your height and weight approximately? I still don’t know what to do - should I ask the support to change for L sized hoodie or stay with an M
I am 180cm and 91 kg. My clothes are mostly L. At your height and weight, you are skinnier than me. so M might fit you fine.

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 25, 2018, 09:25:22 PM

I am 180cm and 91 kg. My clothes are mostly L. At your height and weight, you are skinnier than me. so M might fit you fine.

Thanks a lot for sharing, cool, hopefully I made a right choice then

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #15 on: February 25, 2018, 10:33:59 PM
Does it come with the standard nylon sheath?
Dang it, I want one.  :ahhh

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #17 on: February 26, 2018, 12:14:45 AM
 :facepalm:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: February 26, 2018, 08:22:05 AM
They only ship in the US.  :cry:
Well I have a workaround for Ukraine, look around, you may find something similar for your country

us Offline JustinCase

Reply #19 on: February 26, 2018, 10:18:20 PM
At $11 is not a bad price for the hoodie, I probably order one to keep it as collector item, not sure I want to walk around with a huge billboard advertising sign on my back  :D
“It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I try a little longer to solve the problem"

us Offline JustinCase

Reply #20 on: February 26, 2018, 10:35:29 PM

Also, the Skele Damasteel did come down in price, but not for the first time. It was on sale at $150 at the end of Dec 2017 (https://www.couponchief.com/leatherman)

For those who sell on eBay, the LedLenser SEO 5 headlamp is selling on eBay for $45-$50 and the bit kit for $18-$20 so you're actually paying  about $30-$35 for the Red Cross Charge AL, which is not bad deal :tu: :like:
“It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I try a little longer to solve the problem"

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: March 14, 2018, 03:08:29 AM
Any kind souls around here that is willing to help? I did order one but being not in the US, I put the address to my forwarder. Leatherman actually cancelled the order later as they do not ship to forwarder due to warranty purpose, which I can understand. But they did that without any kind of notification or emails to communicate.

Anyone will be willing to assist? I will order, send to your address, u just need to kindly post it to my US address in Portland. I will pay for all the expenses incurred of course. But I really do not wish it to be too much trouble for anyone.

Kind souls?  :salute:

us Offline JustinCase

Reply #22 on: March 14, 2018, 03:16:30 AM
Any kind souls around here that is willing to help? I did order one but being not in the US, I put the address to my forwarder. Leatherman actually cancelled the order later as they do not ship to forwarder due to warranty purpose, which I can understand. But they did that without any kind of notification or emails to communicate.

Anyone will be willing to assist? I will order, send to your address, u just need to kindly post it to my US address in Portland. I will pay for all the expenses incurred of course. But I really do not wish it to be too much trouble for anyone.

Go ahead and order it and let them send it to my address. I will send it to you in Portland. PM sent.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: March 14, 2018, 03:38:35 AM

Go ahead and order it and let them send it to my address. I will send it to you in Portland. PM sent.

:salute: pm replied!!

us Offline JustinCase

Reply #24 on: March 14, 2018, 04:19:24 AM

:salute: pm replied!!

Just keep me informed of purchase and shipping date ;)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: March 14, 2018, 10:49:40 AM
Nice of you Justin :salute: and Glad to see you are getting one Sam :tu: :like:

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #26 on: March 14, 2018, 12:19:19 PM
Justin: this package is prepacked in a square box at the factory. There is a sticker on the box saying Charge and SEO kit. Leatherman will ship with that sticker visible. You should remove it prior forwarding.

Also to answer an older question in this thread, the Charge comes with a leather sheath, two full bit cards, clip and lanyard ring in one yellow box.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 12:23:11 PM by chrono »

us Offline JustinCase

Reply #27 on: March 14, 2018, 05:13:46 PM
Thanks for letting me know!   :tu:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: March 14, 2018, 06:16:32 PM
Nice of you Justin :salute: and Glad to see you are getting one Sam :tu: :like:

Yes. Really appreciate the help Justin have offered.  :salute: Sometimes I am really envious of you guys living in the US.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: March 14, 2018, 06:17:16 PM
Justin: this package is prepacked in a square box at the factory. There is a sticker on the box saying Charge and SEO kit. Leatherman will ship with that sticker visible. You should remove it prior forwarding.

Also to answer an older question in this thread, the Charge comes with a leather sheath, two full bit cards, clip and lanyard ring in one yellow box.

Thanks Chrono!  :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD