Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

When is belt carry inappropriate?

lew · 44 · 3126

Offline lew

When is belt carry inappropriate?
on: February 26, 2018, 10:07:06 PM
I carry my phone in a belt holster and my Rebar in a belt pouch.  I'm quite comfortable with this setup, and since I usually wear jeans or cargo shorts, it isn't a problem with my wife.  However, when the situation calls for khakis, a nice shirt, and casual leather shoes, she wants my belt naked.  I don't carry anything on my belt when I'm wearing a suit, but for a night of dinner and dancing, I don't see the problem.  When is belt carry inappropriate?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 10:09:36 PM by lew »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: When is belt carry inappropriate?
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 10:12:40 PM
Depends on how “classy” the sheath looks and what’s inside, I suppose? :shrug:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 10:25:24 PM
  Do merchandise for in various stores for a famous brand, and I carry the Flair in its own pouch, PTX Piranha in its own, and a smartphone phone in a Maxpedition case. Have to wear either black or blue - but no denim. Am often mistaken for a security guard, which to me for being one in my younger days cannot see the resemblance.  And more recently have been carrying the newer Leatherman pouch with an AA flashlight on the outer pocket as opposed to carrying in the pants pocket.
  To me, carry is more for functionality instead of looks. If it is where it should be, and not poking me or left in the car or at home when I need it, then that is all the matters. And for work I swap multitools from less lethal versions to the Flair and it's unsharpened butter knife & pickle fork.

Guess it depends on how good your accessories look with your attire. If you keep them neat and proper, cleaned, and not showing signs of being on the off-beaten path, then you will be accepted by those that know what a multitool is. When is see someone carrying a multitool I smile and think, there goes a smart man/woman... even if they are carrying a Gerber..  :ahhh

Then too, when I see someone carrying an exposed forearm I look at how they are carrying it and whether it looks stupid or ridiculous. Seen a guy more bulkier than me, carrying an 8 inch barreled pistol, in a holster that was half the pistol's size, and the handle was pushed out from his girth and the barrel pointed at his groin area. THAT looked STUPID and unsafe! So if applied to a multitool, one has to judge themselves of form verses function. And a man has to know his limitations. Having the baddest, best, and laces all over his belt when a simple PST in an attractive small leather case would be just as effective as a Super Tool 300 sticking out the flaps cause they used the cheap sheath that came with it.

And there are times when you may want to carry the multitool in the jacket pocket, or the clip type sheath inside the waistband. And can tell ya you will feel nekked without carrying a multitool. The first time would use it you're grabbing for an empty area on your belt ad people are looking at you funny. Ooo, muscle spasm, sorry.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

Offline lew

Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 10:32:47 PM
Thanks, guys.  My smartphone is big, so the holster is big.  The Rebar pouch is small, conservative, and not that noticeable.  Neither is classy.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 10:36:13 PM
For me, belt carry is only inappropriate in the swimming pool  :D.

For formal events I do carry smaller, more discrete tools, like a Spirit in its beautiful small brown leather sheath, or a Rebar in leather sheath, even the Swisstool in a black leather Vic sheath is quite stylish, small and thin. 

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 08:47:19 AM
Inappropriate? Depends on whether you care, or need to care, what other people think.

Listen to your wife, she's probably far more in tune with what arbitrary people will think than us weirdos who like dragging around a few hundred grams of steel no matter the occasion.

pt Online pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 12:40:30 PM
  Do merchandise for in various stores for a famous brand, and I carry the Flair in its own pouch, PTX Piranha in its own, and a smartphone phone in a Maxpedition case. Have to wear either black or blue - but no denim. Am often mistaken for a security guard, which to me for being one in my younger days cannot see the resemblance.  And more recently have been carrying the newer Leatherman pouch with an AA flashlight on the outer pocket as opposed to carrying in the pants pocket.
  To me, carry is more for functionality instead of looks. If it is where it should be, and not poking me or left in the car or at home when I need it, then that is all the matters. And for work I swap multitools from less lethal versions to the Flair and it's unsharpened butter knife & pickle fork.

Guess it depends on how good your accessories look with your attire. If you keep them neat and proper, cleaned, and not showing signs of being on the off-beaten path, then you will be accepted by those that know what a multitool is. When is see someone carrying a multitool I smile and think, there goes a smart man/woman... even if they are carrying a Gerber..  :ahhh

Then too, when I see someone carrying an exposed forearm I look at how they are carrying it and whether it looks stupid or ridiculous. Seen a guy more bulkier than me, carrying an 8 inch barreled pistol, in a holster that was half the pistol's size, and the handle was pushed out from his girth and the barrel pointed at his groin area. THAT looked STUPID and unsafe! So if applied to a multitool, one has to judge themselves of form verses function. And a man has to know his limitations. Having the baddest, best, and laces all over his belt when a simple PST in an attractive small leather case would be just as effective as a Super Tool 300 sticking out the flaps cause they used the cheap sheath that came with it.

And there are times when you may want to carry the multitool in the jacket pocket, or the clip type sheath inside the waistband. And can tell ya you will feel nekked without carrying a multitool. The first time would use it you're grabbing for an empty area on your belt ad people are looking at you funny. Ooo, muscle spasm, sorry.

What the kid said.

:D :D

If you have a nice leather sheath, maybe even with some decorative motifs, I'd say you can increase the times/places where people would "accept" it.

:tu: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 12:58:10 PM

What the kid said.

If you have a nice leather sheath, maybe even with some decorative motifs, I'd say you can increase the times/places where people would "accept" it.

The motifs have to be appropriate though.  :pok:

All hail the hook!

pt Online pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 01:03:59 PM

What the kid said.

The motifs have to be appropriate though.  :pok:

Well, yeah, it helps...

8) 8)

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Online pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 01:05:04 PM
They can't be ulterior, for instance...

:whistle:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 01:53:21 PM
Ulterior motif?

That pun is making my head hurt..  :twak:

All hail the hook!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 03:00:48 PM
I hardly ever do not wear sheaths and pouches on my belt.
Only if I'm going to a special occasion (wedding, baptism, important meeting, etc. but not "going outside to have dinner" or "going to watch a movie in the theater") do I swap the gear to a smaller, more inconspicuous set of tools and possibly all pocketed or carried with deep carry clips, or discrete hangers.  :whistle:

An example of lesser appropriate belt carry would be going to the hospital, a funeral, visiting a Government building or into a school or kindergarten, but those are rare and far inbetween (usually and hopefully).  :ahhh Smaller clips and hangers work very well for that, and I've noticed that authorities and security personnel have sharper eyes, especially for large clips or obvious giveaways for knives and tools   ;)

This one is an example of what I could be carrying in one of those instances, freeing my belt from any load   :salute:

full size tools out of sight, and a SAK deep in the pocket. I won't stop carrying full size tools because of context or possible impression on those around me  :gimme:

In addition, I try to pair or "mate" colors, carrying black/grey sheaths with black/grey pants or jeans, and referring brown/tan sheaths when carrying khaki, beige or brown pants, shorts or jeans

My belts are also all black/grey or green/beige color and I find that the sheaths are less visible if using the proper combinations

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 03:19:23 PM
One of my favorite lines of all time. 
https://youtu.be/_EwaNAyvA3g
Esse Quam Videri

Offline lew

Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 03:38:42 PM
Listen to your wife.
This is good advice and the reason I've been happily married for 40 years.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 03:56:29 PM
Personally, I do like to be prepared. Hell, I'd like to say that I don't want to be anywhere I can't wear my Rebar or PST in its belt sheath. But we sometimes have to be where we don't want to be. Or we have to be somewhere for someone else's sake. So, in some ways it's possible to be overly tooled, and we are an overly tooled bunch in general.

If you are mistaken for a security guard, I think you're doing it wrong, at least for me. That just makes you are target for the wrong element, makes you stand out unnecessarily.

In a suit = nothing on the belt.

Casual dinner = leather / nylon / kydex belt sheath is fine.

Camping, hiking, any given Saturday, Sunday (days off) after work, working on the car, hunting, fishing, just going to the movies, or at work... all bets are off depending on encironment

Dinner and dancing = nothing on the belt. Its supposed to be a treat for her. She doesn't need to see that crap. She wants you looking nice, not like Luke Skywalker coming out of the trash compactor with a bunch of crap on his belt. Not BatMan. She wants to have a nice time.

Weddings, funerals and such = nothing on the belt

That being said, for those above occasions, I've found that near anything I carry can be replicated with a PS4 and a Farmer (or Camper), both very pocketable.

Government buildings...don't bring it, or leave it in the car, or have a buddy outside who can hold it for you or...bring a firearm. They often have lockers for licensed firearms folks. Put your gun and your SAK and LM in the locker and get your receipt.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 04:05:40 PM by ThundahBeagle »

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 27, 2018, 03:57:47 PM
Or just go for pants based EDC. I think that most of the time you do not need the heavy artillery for the fancy events.  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: February 27, 2018, 04:14:04 PM
Do not listen to us single guys  :D.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't  :whistle:  I have a small discreet carry these days.  My P4 and 84mm Tinker in a leather pocket sheath.  I'm not carrying a full size MT for off days anymore.  What being called Grey Man is how I prefer to mingle in society.  It hard tho, being tall and handsome, the looks coming from everywhere  :rofl:.  Ok seriously tho, I think a nice leather sheath would be ok but if you are married or otherwise coupled it maybe prudent to checkin.     

My reevaluated carry thread. https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,71074.0.html
Esse Quam Videri

Offline lew

Reply #17 on: February 27, 2018, 04:27:44 PM
Thanks for the responses and insight.  I do have a discrete pocket carry setup when it's called for, but my wife and I have different opinions as to when that is, and I just thought I would run it by you guys.  Probably like asking the guy next to you at the bar about drinking.  I usually defer to my wife in these matters as I tend to get obsessive about things - as anyone who knows about my barbecue hobby could tell you.

pt Online pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: February 27, 2018, 04:55:14 PM
Ulterior motif?

Good...
 >:D

Show content
That was my ulterior motif...

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Online pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: February 27, 2018, 04:58:16 PM
Thanks for the responses and insight.  I do have a discrete pocket carry setup when it's called for, but my wife and I have different opinions as to when that is, and I just thought I would run it by you guys.  Probably like asking the guy next to you at the bar about drinking.  I usually defer to my wife in these matters as I tend to get obsessive about things - as anyone who knows about my barbecue hobby could tell you.

:worthless:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: February 27, 2018, 05:03:08 PM
Ulterior motif?

Good...

Show content

Grrrrrrrrrr......

All hail the hook!

pt Online pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: February 27, 2018, 05:04:36 PM
Ulterior motif?

Good...

Show content

Grrrrrrrrrr......

... eat pun, right?!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Offline lew

Reply #22 on: February 27, 2018, 06:09:52 PM

:worthless:
Rib Roast

Brisket

Pork butts for a catered party

Like I said, obsessed.

pt Online pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: February 27, 2018, 06:14:37 PM
Wow!

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

That looks awesome!

:gimme: :gimme:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Offline lew

Reply #24 on: February 27, 2018, 06:41:42 PM
Thanks.

pt Online pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: February 27, 2018, 06:45:18 PM
A few slices in some home made bread, a nice bottle of wine...

8) 8)

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #26 on: February 28, 2018, 01:38:38 AM
I always go by "Happy wife, Happy Life", so If the wife says it's inappropriate, then it's inappropriate.
Perception is reality

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: February 28, 2018, 02:04:00 AM
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #28 on: February 28, 2018, 04:27:35 AM
  Of course if you really want to make an impression or add a cloak of mystery, attach a Mason or Illuminati symbol to the sheath. Either one should give your sheath the respect to be overlooked.  ::)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 04:28:42 AM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #29 on: March 18, 2018, 06:24:31 PM
Guess it is prolly a Texas thing. but if you don't like what I'm wearin' , just don't look.
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD
88%