Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

When is belt carry inappropriate?

lew · 44 · 3125

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Re: When is belt carry inappropriate?
Reply #30 on: March 18, 2018, 06:52:46 PM
Not really?

In Missouri we just ask you to Show Me why I care what you think?

Guess it is prolly a Texas thing. but if you don't like what I'm wearin' , just don't look.

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: March 18, 2018, 07:21:47 PM
When it’s heavy enough that my butt crack is showing.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #32 on: March 19, 2018, 01:03:00 AM
Then you need a better belt. :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #33 on: March 19, 2018, 01:54:52 AM
When is it inappropriate.... Rented tux. Now, if I had a tailored tux, that would be different, but... Besides, a PST fits in the pocket of the cumberbund if your cumberbund has one. At least the last time I rented a tux.

For less fancified duds, putting hello kitty or little ponies or greatful dead bears on ANYTHING makes it instantly lower profile. Adults see that, stop looking. Either they decide you're harmless and/or they just don't want to know. It is the anti-tactical.

Guess it is prolly a Texas thing. but if you don't like what I'm wearin' , just don't look.

The Vermont thing is, if you liked it, I thank you for the compliment but I'm not interested. If you look at my butt and don't like what you see, why were you looking at my butt?
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: March 19, 2018, 05:35:34 AM
I carry my phone in a belt holster and my Rebar in a belt pouch.  I'm quite comfortable with this setup, and since I usually wear jeans or cargo shorts, it isn't a problem with my wife.  However, when the situation calls for khakis, a nice shirt, and casual leather shoes, she wants my belt naked. I don't carry anything on my belt when I'm wearing a suit, but for a night of dinner and dancing, I don't see the problem.  When is belt carry inappropriate?

Folks, I'm with you, ok. Don't like what you see? Move along. That goes for the population at large, rogues and the law alike...But the original posting party here is talking about his lady. When is it appropriate to carry or not based on stepping out with his lady. And the answer is - find a way to make her happy. Cumberbund pocket. Pocket watch/spare change pocket, sheath, boot, in a rolled up sleeve, or whatever, but if you are talking about carrying a tool with regards to going out with your lady, find a way to make her happy and still have something on you. But i gotta figure, she sure as hell won't want a sheath on your belt if you are at a wedding or a funeral, unless it is the Duck Dynasty or Bo and Luke Duke
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 05:37:12 AM by ThundahBeagle »

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #35 on: March 19, 2018, 01:19:46 PM

Nope... Just super glue.

:whistle:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #36 on: March 19, 2018, 01:22:39 PM

Nope... Just super glue.

No, I'm not gluing my belt to my butt.  :twak: :rofl:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #37 on: March 19, 2018, 01:24:53 PM

Nope... Just super glue.

No, I'm not gluing my belt to my butt.  :twak: :rofl:

I never suggested that. The gue is not for the belt. It's what I use at home to fix cracks.

:pok: :pok:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #38 on: March 19, 2018, 03:20:50 PM
IMO the most inconspicuous and discreet clips out there are blacked out deep carry clips for knives,

and P7 clips or small hangers for SAKs and MTs.

they really look innocent and are tiny
other than that you have inside pocket carry with a pouch, caddy or slip to keep it straight and still

sheaths are not to be discarded, but they ought to be printless, flat, non visible and silent (no velcro or zipper/snap noises, keeping it minimal)
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: March 19, 2018, 04:42:09 PM
What I hear often said is " happy wife, happy life".  So if the wife or significant other would prefer you to be sheathless then..........  maybe best to comply  :think:.  I however would like to think a nice leather sheath within reason
 ( compromise ) would be the best alternative.  I've personally always disliked that particular saying so  :whistle:     
Esse Quam Videri

Offline lew

Reply #40 on: March 20, 2018, 05:47:08 PM
I carry my phone in a belt holster and my Rebar in a belt pouch.  I'm quite comfortable with this setup, and since I usually wear jeans or cargo shorts, it isn't a problem with my wife.  However, when the situation calls for khakis, a nice shirt, and casual leather shoes, she wants my belt naked. I don't carry anything on my belt when I'm wearing a suit, but for a night of dinner and dancing, I don't see the problem.  When is belt carry inappropriate?

Folks, I'm with you, ok. Don't like what you see? Move along. That goes for the population at large, rogues and the law alike...But the original posting party here is talking about his lady. When is it appropriate to carry or not based on stepping out with his lady. And the answer is - find a way to make her happy. Cumberbund pocket. Pocket watch/spare change pocket, sheath, boot, in a rolled up sleeve, or whatever, but if you are talking about carrying a tool with regards to going out with your lady, find a way to make her happy and still have something on you. But i gotta figure, she sure as hell won't want a sheath on your belt if you are at a wedding or a funeral, unless it is the Duck Dynasty or Bo and Luke Duke
The way I make her happy letting her choose when it's appropriate.  She doesn't seem to notice the P-7 so that's what I use in those situations.  When necessary, the phone holster goes away and the phone goes in my pocket.  I know when I think it's appropriate and I know when my wife thinks it's appropriate.  I was just wondering when you guys thought it was appropriate, hence the post.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #41 on: March 22, 2018, 12:20:37 AM
Quote from: ThundahBeagle
  find a way to make her happy.

Well, in that scenario, DeSantis, Galco and Blackhawk all make very stretchy ankle carriers for pistol magazines made from neoprene, nylon and elastic. Most of them look like they should fit a multi and a light.

Or get really nuts. This calls for 4.5-5" tools, 4" will ride too low. Run the HSGI Pistol Taco pouch on the Raven Concealment Moduload frame, with the frame reversed so that with a clip or lift a dot straps possibly with a tuckable strut so you're running  the whole thing inside the waistband. Or get someone to make a custom Of course, she might be vexed. And you'll really want a long undershirt- Tacos IWB are scratchy, I"ve tried. And if you are in an unfriendly region of the world, you might get legalized harrasement. But it is an option.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #42 on: March 22, 2018, 06:46:42 AM
Personal opinion only ...

In a built up area, belt carry makes you look a pillock if you're not wearing scuffed up steel toe cap boots, and work trousers covered in paint, plaster or grease,or other evidence of getting your hands dirty for a living. In a rural area, belt carry makes you look a pillock if you're not obviously working or engaged in some form of outdoor activity that may require quick access to tools. If I am wearing scuffed up work boots and work trousers, or obviously engaged in some form of outdoor activity, then I still tend to avoid wearing a belt sheath, because I think it makes me look like a pillock.

Belt sheaths are akin to wellies, cycling shorts, mossie nets, gaitors, personal floatation devices, crash helmets, and welding gauntlets. If you're wearing them and don't look like you're in need of them, you look a pillock. If you are wearing belt sheaths, wellies, cycling shorts, mossie nets, gaitors, personal floatation devices, crash helmets, and welding gauntlets, all at the same time, you may have a very serious problem.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 06:49:14 AM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #43 on: July 14, 2018, 08:07:57 PM
For work , no issues , I tend to wear a 1 3/4” belt with a cobra buckle , with lots of stuff on it . For more casual , I wear a stiffened 1 1/2” belt capable of carrying reasonable weight , I carry a mid sized multi , and a single CR123 flashlight . If I’m wearing a jacket , no issue , all out of site out of mind . Untucked shirts are acceptable in many situations , so again , no problem . In more casusl wear , a 1 1/2” belt with a multi and a flashlight in pouches . In some settings , I will elect to carry my folder IWB . My SAK rides in a front pocket , with a Monroe small Ti dangler clip .

Nobody notices , or says jack . Plus , I don’t give too many Smurfs .

Chris

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD