Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Micro first aid kit

Offline aikon2014

Micro first aid kit
on: February 27, 2018, 01:13:49 PM
I have big first aid kits at home and in the car. But I was thinking and having a micro version that fits in my coat pocket no matter which coat I habe on me could be a good idea. So far I have decided on a couple of bagd of burn ointment, some sort of disinfectant, one sanitary pad and one tampon (I suppose they are sterile since they are sealed), some antihistamine and paracetamol. I always edc a leatherman so no need for scissors or tools in the pack.

Anything else that is crucial that I missed?

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Re: Micro first aid kit
Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 03:39:53 PM
Band-aids and a needle? Tweezers if not carrying a SAK?  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 03:58:28 PM
I carry a pocket 1st aid kit.  Mine has a few plasters/bandaids, wound ointment, antiseptic wipe ( I usually have 2 ), 3 gauze pads, 5 swabs, sunscreen, and a antihistamine tablet.  I have Ibuprofen and aspirin on my keychain in a fob so no need to carry more. 
I'm not worried about the swabs being sterile.  This little kit has proven itself several times so I always carry one.           
IMG_4521.jpg
* IMG_4521.jpg (Filesize: 219.25 KB)
IMG_4522.jpg
* IMG_4522.jpg (Filesize: 188.73 KB)
IMG_4523.jpg
* IMG_4523.jpg (Filesize: 242.94 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

Offline aikon2014

Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 03:58:52 PM
Oh I didn't write band aids, but I was thinking about them  :D
I was thinking about getting a Victorinox classic and put one in each since they are so inexpensive :)

Needles, super good tip! Oh and I just thought about putting in a couple of safety pins as well :)

Offline aikon2014

Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 03:59:40 PM
I carry a pocket 1st aid kit.  Mine has a few plasters/bandaids, wound ointment, antiseptic wipe ( I usually have 2 ), 3 gauze pads, 5 swabs, sunscreen, and a antihistamine tablet.  I have Ibuprofen and aspirin on my keychain in a fob so no need to carry more. 
I'm not worried about the swabs being sterile.  This little kit has proven itself several times so I always carry one.           

Really good kit! I'm gonna take a few ideas from that one :)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 04:17:53 PM
A small safety pin could be used as your pin/needle.  Unless of course you are sewing?  Then this would not be first aid IMO.  I'll toss in a safety pin  or 2 now that I'm thinking about it.  Small footprint but big on utility.  I took the swabs out of their original container and placed them right into the zip top baggie.  They are fine IMO for an ear that need a scratch.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 11:21:30 PM
Aloha, that's a good looking kit.  :tu:

I found this site while looking for single-dose otc meds. It has a lot of the little single-packet stuff like sunscreen, moist towelettes, etc. I'm not endorsing it, just thought it might help some folks out...
http://www.minimus.biz/

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 01:40:39 AM
Micro, no this is micro, a wallet picture holder with two of two diff size bandaids and couple alcohol wipes. My other “small” fak is a altoids tin with a few other goodies, but my backpack fak is a little bigger,, sorry pics suck..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 02:03:23 AM
Thank you.  I really wanted something simple.  I love 1st aid kits but I didn't want a trauma kit or one that was over stuffed. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 02:19:58 AM
Thank you.  I really wanted something simple.  I love 1st aid kits but I didn't want a trauma kit or one that was over stuffed.
Seriously, what do you really need in a kit? If your out on a job that’s when something’s going to really happen, and well by code they should have a large kit. If your out doing something like hiking or biking, then you should have a small kit, but if your just doing nothing and are out of the house then your probably going to just cut yourself using your sak or mt, so all you really need is just something to clean it and something to cover it up, thus the alcohol wipe and two size bandaids. Just something simple, and small enough to fit in your wallet, you’d never know..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 02:32:54 AM
How pocket is pocket?

I used to carry a couple of bandaids in my wallet in a small ziplock, 2 regulars and H-type knuckle one, and a 2x2 and a piece of plastic clamshell cut to fit and wrapped with 18" of duct tape. Oh, wait, I still do.

Plus a slightly bigger kit that lives in my pack- 4x4s, a 4" roller, bandaids, moleskin, duct tape, tweezers, a pair of gloves, safety pin, immodium, tylenol, advil (if just head ache, tylenol on days with T and advil the others, but for mouth pain a half dose of each), a couple benadryl, and a couple of ginger candies (both for being hypo and for nasuea), half sheet of moleskin and a small tube of neosporin. It fits into an old hard drive case. 

"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 04:21:58 AM
... half sheet of moleskin

I carried moleskin for a while too, but I've seen a bunch of videos from through-hikers who swear that duct tape works just as well. Could cut down on a little space.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 04:30:19 AM

I carried moleskin for a while too, but I've seen a bunch of videos from through-hikers who swear that duct tape works just as well. Could cut down on a little space.

One thing I learnt a long time ago is prevention is better than the cure when it comes to feet. Two pairs of socks, one thick, one thin. Even with wet feet this works
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: February 28, 2018, 07:13:43 AM
Moleskin is great stuff.  I do carry it along with duct tape in my hike first aid kit. 

As far as my pocket kit goes I dont mind the few extra items.  I dont carry a bag otherwise I'd probably have a bit more items.  I do not cut myself with my blades so the kit is a hold over from when I had little ones.  I guess I got in the habit of having items to take care of booboos.  My truck has a full blown kit as does my home.  My camp kit can manage most situations till help arrived or transportation to a hospital.     
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #14 on: February 28, 2018, 02:42:02 PM
IKEA has some basic kits (different models in different countries and years) that have individual versions of all the basics (alcohol wipes, bandaids, pads, bandaging, etc.) in a very sensible and easy to carry and organize package...

http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/70283859/

good for boboos and car trips    :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Random_Username

Reply #15 on: March 01, 2018, 04:05:43 PM

I’m in the same boat. I’ve used duct tape for hot spots and blisters on my feet and it works. There’s usually a bit swapped around one of my trekking poles if I’m using them, and usually some wrapped around a pen or marker in my ruck.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #16 on: March 01, 2018, 05:09:28 PM
i would also pack a couple pairs of latex gloves - unless you're only ever going to be administering to yourself/immediate family; i carry a first aid kit for work but i also often pack a small "owie" kit which is handy for small scrapes/cuts - 2 pairs of gloves a couple wipes and some plasters; it saves opening up the larger kit for small stuff.
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: March 01, 2018, 05:55:13 PM
For a pocket kit I omit the gloves.  Mine is for my own usage or like you said family.  My daughter bought a new pair of sandals and needed a bandaid for her instep.  The alcohol wipe does a good job prepping the skin prior to applying the bandaid.

In my vehicle and another first aid kits I always have gloves.  Lots and lots of gloves.     
Esse Quam Videri

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: March 07, 2018, 05:19:52 PM
Did mine a while ago... proofed to be useful many times.
Description to be found here

Gloves: I second Aloha007 on this. Everything gloves do, can be dealt later. As such they take up way too much space in a FAK.
firstaidkit_01.jpg
* firstaidkit_01.jpg (Filesize: 111.97 KB)
firstaidkit_02.jpg
* firstaidkit_02.jpg (Filesize: 74.49 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #19 on: March 08, 2018, 12:52:10 AM

:like:

us Offline Random_Username

Reply #20 on: March 08, 2018, 01:11:44 AM
Did mine a while ago... proofed to be useful many times.
Description to be found here

Gloves: I second Aloha007 on this. Everything gloves do, can be dealt later. As such they take up way too much space in a FAK.

Nice kit!  :like:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #21 on: March 08, 2018, 05:23:59 AM
I rarely carry a pocket kit because I have a slightly larger kit in each of my EDC bags which are always close by.  When I do carry a pocket kit it has just a few different size plasters, alcohol prep pads, and a list of emergency phone numbers.

The slightly larger kits in my bags are pretty much the same as has already been mentioned, but I also carry a small tube of Anbesol or Orajel. They are topical anesthetics for toothache pain. Get some! You'll thank me for it when you need it.  I don't know why, but debilitating toothaches always seem to happen late at night or on weekends.  Mine hit about 11 PM on a Friday night and I couldn't see the dentist before Monday morning. It was agony! I was fortunate that there are stores around here open 24 hours so I was able to get some Anbesol.  Carried it in my IFAK ever since.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%