Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The One Do It All Knife - Dirty Work

Shuya · 27 · 1509

de Offline Shuya

The One Do It All Knife - Dirty Work
on: October 13, 2021, 11:00:35 AM
Hi folks,

sitting at my desk, while thinking and twiddling with my Case Carbon Trapper...
So some stories and posts (here and in BF) came into my mind about the old times, when people had one knife and used it for everything and more.
Seeing posts where people dress a deer with their pocket knife, cleaning fish with it. Guts, blood, slime and scales all over the knife.
Thats the point I do not understand at the moment and what keeps me from doing the same, especially when looking at my carbon blade.

How do you prevent your knife from smelling, how do you really clean all the mess from a knife that cant be taken apart?
Rinse with water, I know. But how well does this work?

My Trappers would make awesome fishing knives, but I really hesitate to use them...

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: The One Do It All Knife - Dirty Work
Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 12:20:47 PM
I am sure that plenty of the old timers only wiped the blade off on their pants and put it back in their pocket :dwts: not caring about the smell or how clean it was :ahhh

Probably why so many of them loved to an old age :D

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 01:39:27 PM
I am sure that plenty of the old timers only wiped the blade off on their pants and put it back in their pocket :dwts: not caring about the smell or how clean it was :ahhh

That or gave it a wipe down with some whiskey   :D

Rubbing alcohol works well for cleaning a carbon knife inside and out.

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 01:49:21 PM
Hate to disagree, Poncho, but anyone who hunted in order to live (either for food or trading pelts) would be very concerned about what smells they and their kit give off, even if they are approaching from downwind.

Could always put the blade in some fire for a bit. Doesn't have to be a furnace or anything, just a flame hot enough to burn off the nastiness. Hot water was also not beyond the capabilities of anyone who used metal tools.

However, people have been using scents and scented 'stuff' since at least Ancient Egypt... but many back then also had more than one knife, for different tasks, though I'm not sure exactly when a single knife replaced the sets.
Lots of scented oils would probably be quite good for smelly blades - I believe many Japanese blade owners use choji oil, which is sort-of clove-scented.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 03:25:32 PM
Just a little spit and hold it to the heavens  :whistle:

I'm sure some soap and hot water would be acceptable.  The pivot area would be the nastiest but moving the blade while submerged in hot soapy water would help.  Do I think it would clean away everything?  No.  Oil it up after and as for smells like fish it would depend on the handle material.  Some would be smellier that others. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 12:20:01 AM
Hate to disagree, Poncho, but anyone who hunted in order to live (either for food or trading pelts) would be very concerned about what smells they and their kit give off, even if they are approaching from downwind.

Could always put the blade in some fire for a bit. Doesn't have to be a furnace or anything, just a flame hot enough to burn off the nastiness. Hot water was also not beyond the capabilities of anyone who used metal tools.

However, people have been using scents and scented 'stuff' since at least Ancient Egypt... but many back then also had more than one knife, for different tasks, though I'm not sure exactly when a single knife replaced the sets.
Lots of scented oils would probably be quite good for smelly blades - I believe many Japanese blade owners use choji oil, which is sort-of clove-scented.

My grandparents generation (and even my father-in-laws generation) had to depend on hunting to live and the smell of the knife was probably over powered by the lack of bathing (no running water) :rofl: they smelled like nature already and the smell of the knife would not have likely mattered, animals wouldn't have caught their scent like they would have these days. Therefore I stand by my above statement  :D

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #6 on: October 14, 2021, 02:24:25 AM
My grandparents generation (and even my father-in-laws generation) had to depend on hunting to live and the smell of the knife was probably over powered by the lack of bathing (no running water) :rofl: they smelled like nature already and the smell of the knife would not have likely mattered, animals wouldn't have caught their scent like they would have these days. Therefore I stand by my above statement  :D
The smell of week-old unwashed bodies does not carry as far as even a couple of day-old chicken bones, as one particularly careless patrol that we thus caught will testify...

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 14, 2021, 02:45:16 AM

In my experience in which I dont have time to go into at the moment. I whole heartily agree with Poncho.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 14, 2021, 06:20:12 AM
I think the old timers were much less persnickety about the cleanliness of their knives than many of us today.  I remember my grandfather using his pocketknife to cut up worms for fishing, then folding it and sticking it back in his pocket without so much as wiping it off.  For a knife that ended up truly covered in blood or fish parts, a quick rinse in the nearest water source (or wipe with whatever was handy) was probably considered quite sufficient by most.

I’d also suggest that the old-time outdoorsmen who only had one knife most likely carried and used a fixed blade (not a folder) that most closely resembled a butcher, skinning, or hunting knife.

wales Online GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 14, 2021, 06:23:15 AM
Personally, I wouldn't use it for such a thing, but depending on the handle materials a dunk in some isopropyl and a trip to the UV/Ozone bath would probably do it  :dunno:

I can see people back in the day not being particularly fussy, to take a guess I'd say the whole natural aromas would be different, the smell of smoke is a sore thumb to me, but I imagine to people that relied on wood burners and candles it's just the background. Similarly, with knives, they'd probably have a bit of a whiff about them compared to ours nowadays, well I suppose that last part depends on the user  :rofl:

Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 14, 2021, 06:49:46 PM

I grew up hunting and fishing to eat - not 100%, but we were poor and needed the food to supplement what we were able to buy from the store.

We never worried about the smell of our knives.  Depending on how dirty the knife was, we would clean it by wiping it off on our pants or a rag, maybe swishing it around in a creek first.  I think I was more worried about making sure it was dry.  Sometimes I would wipe the knife down with a gun oil rag.  I don't remember ever washing it with soap and water.  Thinking back about using an unwashed knife with gun oil on something we were going to eat is kind of disgusting.  :ahhh 

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #11 on: October 14, 2021, 10:02:30 PM
In my experience in which I dont have time to go into at the moment. I whole heartily agree with Poncho.
Your experience seemingly trumps the centuries of hunters who, from the 1300s right up the present day, make quite a big deal of eliminating as many scents from their person as possible.

wales Online GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 14, 2021, 10:08:41 PM
Your experience seemingly trumps the centuries of hunters who, from the 1300s right up the present day, make quite a big deal of eliminating as many scents from their person as possible.

Or their experience is personal rather than something read from a book or something  :dunno:

I mean it seems pretty often that survival experts contradict traditional knowledge in books and so on  :think:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: October 14, 2021, 11:23:42 PM

Well it is a different part of the world here and different places have different cultures and ideas about things :dunno: I just know my ancestors were hillbillys and didn't put as much thought into things of that nature :cheers:

us Offline David

Reply #14 on: October 15, 2021, 02:29:43 AM
I think the old timers were much less persnickety about the cleanliness of their knives than many of us today.  I remember my grandfather using his pocketknife to cut up worms for fishing, then folding it and sticking it back in his pocket without so much as wiping it off.  For a knife that ended up truly covered in blood or fish parts, a quick rinse in the nearest water source (or wipe with whatever was handy) was probably considered quite sufficient by most.

I’d also suggest that the old-time outdoorsmen who only had one knife most likely carried and used a fixed blade (not a folder) that most closely resembled a butcher, skinning, or hunting knife.

:tu:

I grew up hunting and fishing to eat - not 100%, but we were poor and needed the food to supplement what we were able to buy from the store.

We never worried about the smell of our knives.  Depending on how dirty the knife was, we would clean it by wiping it off on our pants or a rag, maybe swishing it around in a creek first.  I think I was more worried about making sure it was dry.  Sometimes I would wipe the knife down with a gun oil rag.  I don't remember ever washing it with soap and water.  Thinking back about using an unwashed knife with gun oil on something we were going to eat is kind of disgusting.  :ahhh 

Well it is a different part of the world here and different places have different cultures and ideas about things :dunno: I just know my ancestors were hillbillys and didn't put as much thought into things of that nature :cheers:

Dont stop when your preaching good buddy!    :tu:
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: October 15, 2021, 04:12:08 PM
I'd imagine the folks back then also had stronger gut fora  :dunno:.  They may even had some effects of an unclean blade but it was "normal" and nothing that harmed them terrible.  I'd also suggest in addition to their pocket knives a fixed blade was used as well.  Heck if you're not bathing you're not washing your knife either  :rofl:.

As to the OP question of the knife smelling.  I buy old wood handles fixed blade knives.  I can only imagine what they were used for and none have come to me smelling.  I think with use they become "seasoned" and certainly ones that have not had a bath even more so.  Delrin has been around for a while and I'd not imagine it would retain smells.  Other plastics used in handle material would probably be similar.

As for cleaning.  Hot soapy water moving the blade as you have it submerged.  I don't think everything will be perfect around the pivot.  You can get an ultrasonic cleaner?  I don't use my knives like to old timers however I do use my SS trads in the kitchen tho not on meat.  A wash as I mention and a blade of canned air and I call it good.   

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline GA1dad

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: October 15, 2021, 11:45:14 PM

We never worried about the smell of our knives.  Depending on how dirty the knife was, we would clean it by wiping it off on our pants or a rag, maybe swishing it around in a creek first.  I think I was more worried about making sure it was dry.  Sometimes I would wipe the knife down with a gun oil rag.  I don't remember ever washing it with soap and water.   

Agree with you. Growing up a hunter/fisherman I never had a "clean" knife, and I really don't recall ever having one stink. I would wash mine in the sink every now and again if it had fish guts or suck on/in it. But times change I suppose.

Good question from the OP. I suppose I would start with good old soap and warm water, followed up with some oil.
Jason - N4RBZ- A Harley can get you through times of no money better than money can get you through times of no Harley____O~`o__

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: October 16, 2021, 04:36:50 AM
“I’d also suggest that the old-time outdoorsmen who only had one knife most likely carried and used a fixed blade (not a folder) that most closely resembled a butcher, skinning, or hunting knife.“
I was thinking along the same lines, if you go back far enough.
Andrew

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #18 on: October 16, 2021, 04:51:14 AM
Well, most of my modern sources are American hunters these days, but the fact that they still do things the same now as 700 years ago suggests there's a very good reason for it...
Way I see it - if you, with your human nose, think your knife smells bad, then whatever you're hunting almost certainly will... and most of the things you'd want to hunt are not really pleased by the smells of decay.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: October 16, 2021, 07:12:00 PM
I won't deny that modern hunters take advice from history now but what I am talking about is hunters from when I was a child to around 100 years ago didn't have anything to go by but word of mouth and passed down knowledge (many were uneducated and some of the passed down info wouldn't have made it through the generations) many things have been rediscovered in my lifetime but I am going by what I remember as a child from experience.  So we can agree to disagree  :cheers:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #20 on: October 16, 2021, 07:41:53 PM
My Dad never washed a knife, he'd just wipe it on his leg or something... or a bit of dried grass if he was feeling really posh.

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #21 on: October 16, 2021, 09:23:16 PM
My Dad never washed a knife, he'd just wipe it on his leg or something... or a bit of dried grass if he was feeling really posh.

Yep
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #22 on: October 17, 2021, 01:23:34 AM
If we're talking folders, the Svord Peasants are very good for keeping clean. They can be fully stripped with a medium slotted screwdriver, cleaned, and then quickly reassembled.

au Offline Valkie

Reply #23 on: October 17, 2021, 10:34:03 AM
Not sure if its relevant or not.

Does anyone know why ties have the stripes sloping one particular way?

Its to signify the blood of the enemy they have just defeated and wiped on their scarf.

A warrior would have all sorts of blood on his scarf, later to become ties.

Special oils and such were rarely used, if at all, a stone was used to rub off the rust and keep it clean.

Armor and mail was put in a barrel with sand and rotated to clean off the rust.

Weapons were seen as tools, often replaced with weapons taken from the defeated if they appeared better.

Personally, I use olive oil to preserve mu Damascus knives.

And baby oil when sharpening them.
tools is what defines us as humans

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: October 17, 2021, 02:55:38 PM
 :dunno:

us Offline trichosirius

Reply #25 on: October 24, 2021, 02:23:55 AM
I don’t hunt, but after cleaning fish I’ve always just used Dawn and hot water for my slipjoints, nothing complicated here  :think:

Dawn and a toothbrush, and working the pivot in soapy water. Thoroughly dry afterwards and oil of course.

Offline Rab21

Reply #26 on: October 25, 2021, 09:46:07 PM
From my teens to mid 30's my vic hunter was the only knife I really carried.
Gutted rabbits, cut up food for my terriers and ferrets. Used to cut up dead bait for pike. Then to finish off would open cans and beer bottles. 
Would very rarely use the knife for my own food , maybe opening packets but the can opener was pretty close.

Didn't clean it much, bar the trousers leg wipe or a wash under the tap on its birthday. Can remember it ever really smelling though.

Good question OP

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44