Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Bark River Knives Club

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: The Bark River Knives Club
Reply #60 on: May 03, 2018, 03:32:35 AM
Nice pic Andrew!      :like:
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: May 03, 2018, 03:52:55 PM
Thanks Nix and David  :salute:
Andrew

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #62 on: May 20, 2018, 09:02:39 AM
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 08:26:22 AM by zoidberg »

hr Offline styx

Reply #63 on: May 20, 2018, 11:33:51 AM
nice Barkie Zoid. what are those odd dogs in the background?
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #64 on: May 20, 2018, 11:00:42 PM

That's a bay Weasel and catch Baboon.

us Offline David

Reply #65 on: May 21, 2018, 04:56:39 PM
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

hr Offline styx

Reply #66 on: May 21, 2018, 05:53:26 PM

That's a bay Weasel and catch Baboon.

interesting

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #67 on: May 23, 2018, 11:30:22 PM
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 08:26:39 AM by zoidberg »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #68 on: May 23, 2018, 11:33:31 PM
Nice shot!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #69 on: May 28, 2018, 08:37:11 PM
I'm going to share a rather ugly story, but it requires a bit of explanation, so please bear with me for a moment.   :-[

We have a lawn. I'm not a big fan of lawns, but Mrs Nix and the hound enjoy a lawn, so we have a lawn. And our lawn came with an in-ground sprinkler system. Now, each year the grass grows, like a weed, around the sprinkler heads. No surprise there, the grass goes where the ground is wettest.

Left unchecked, the grass will literally choke off the sprinkler head and prevent it from raising up and watering the rest of the lawn. Since the whole system runs off pressure, if one sprinkler head is malfunctioning, the whole system goes down.

And Mrs Nix becomes unhappy.

So each year I have to trim away the matted root system that surrounds the sprinkler heads. Today was my day to do that.

And here is where my Blackjack Model 7 (made by Bark River Knives) comes into the story. I've tried various tools, but nothing works as well as a long, sharp, knife. My old Model 7 is perfect for the job.

<<< Warning: Brace yourself, it won't be pretty from here on. >>>

The yellow flag marks the location of a sprinkler head. You can't see it very well, can you?

So the excess grass and sod must be trimmed away.

After the Blackjack goes to work, the sprinkler head is open and ready for work. The Blackjack, however, is no longer shaving sharp......

Here's a shot after the task is completed. Each flag in the 5 gallon bucket marked a sprinkler head. You can see the results of the trimming. (Yes, that's the top of the sheath sticking out of the trimmings.)

Probably not what Mike Stewart had in mind for this model, but I'm going to declare it a victory.

I should include a few details and observations here, as well:

This knife is made with A-2 tool steel and given an awesome heat treat. It takes a great edge and performs really well. Note that while the edge dulled (severely) it did not chip or roll. And this is after using an aggressive stabbing action in stony soil. I think this outstanding performance is due to the nature of A-2, the great heat treatment, and the convex edge geometry. It's hard to think of a more brutal use for a knife than this work, but the Blackjack came through with flying colors. No, it won't slice newspaper now, but I'm confident I can restore the edge fairly easily. (I'll post again after I restore the edge.)

Also, when new, the handle was very smooth and glossy. Beautiful, really, but it felt a bit thick for me (and I have big hands), so I sanded it down a bit. I left the micarta rough for better traction. That might not have been necessary, and it detracted from the look of the knife, but I liked it better and left it in a rough state. So, the handle's appearance is no reflection on Bark River or Blackjack Classic Blades.

Lastly, if you decide to borrow this technique, be very careful, be sure to have a current tetanus shot, and it's a good idea to wear some appropriate safety equipment (gloves and eye protection). And be sure to use a knife as tough as a Bark River.

hr Offline styx

Reply #70 on: May 28, 2018, 09:05:15 PM
had in mind or not, that is a job well done

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #71 on: May 29, 2018, 05:38:32 AM
Nice knife Nix.  :like:
Andrew

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #72 on: May 29, 2018, 09:15:41 AM
Mum had a habit of using my good knives to weed with when she visited.   :dwts:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #73 on: May 29, 2018, 10:37:16 AM
Left unchecked, the grass will literally choke off the sprinkler head and prevent it from raising up and watering the rest of the lawn. Since the whole system runs off pressure, if one sprinkler head is malfunctioning, the whole system goes down... So each year I have to trim away the matted root system that surrounds the sprinkler heads. Today was my day to do that.
Could sinking some sort of plastic cylinder (piece of pipe, plastic jar with bottom removed etc) into the ground around each sprinkler prevent the grass getting too close? Perhaps replace the dirt on the inside with sand.  Grass may eventually pop up inside it but worth a try?  :think:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #74 on: May 29, 2018, 02:21:09 PM
A small length of PVC pipe might delay the ingress of grass for a while, but you know how grass is........ And I don't mind having to clear the sprinkler heads one or twice a year. It's one of those chores that makes my wife think I'm useful to keep around.  :D

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #75 on: May 29, 2018, 02:57:14 PM

So each year I have to trim away the matted root system that surrounds the sprinkler heads. Today was my day to do that.

And here is where my Blackjack Model 7 (made by Bark River Knives) comes into the story. I've tried various tools, but nothing works as well as a long, sharp, knife. My old Model 7 is perfect for the job.

Probably not what Mike Stewart had in mind for this model, but I'm going to declare it a victory.

This knife is made with A-2 tool steel and given an awesome heat treat. It takes a great edge and performs really well.

Nice job and great pics Nix! :like: :tu: :tu:

I used to have a Black Jack Model 7...it was one of the sharpest knives I have owned.... a really great knife! :cheers: :cheers:

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: June 01, 2018, 10:58:09 AM

:cheers:

I'd put money on it Mike Stewart would love seeing their knives used.

Convex edges are king  :like:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #77 on: June 25, 2018, 12:54:59 PM
Here's my Essential with a new friend - Mora Robust from GLBM's 2k GAW.
20180625_105905.jpg
* 20180625_105905.jpg (Filesize: 183.16 KB)
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #78 on: June 26, 2018, 01:35:01 AM
You guys will recall that about a month ago I trashed a Blackjack Model-7 cutting sod and dirt and rocks while working on the sprinklers.

Last week I reached for that knife to cut some twine and......it wouldn't cut.  :-[   The edge was just gone. No surprise.

So today I got out the water-stones and set to restoring the edge. I could have used some sand paper to restore the finish, but I was focused on the edge (possibly read as 'just plain lazy'). I started with a 300 grit stone and worked my way down to an 8000 grit stone. After a light stropping, it was ready for testing.

OK, so it still looks pretty ugly, but let me tell you, this knife simply whispers through fine magazine paper and is now 'hair popping' sharp. I don't think it was this sharp when new.

I have to say, I don't think I've ever abused a knife as badly as I have this Bark River. Yet it got brought back to shaving sharp with just a little work and effort. I suppose I could try to pretty it up a bit more, but I kinda like it this way now. 

Well done Bark River!   :clap:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #79 on: July 14, 2018, 09:44:14 AM
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 08:27:05 AM by zoidberg »

hr Offline styx

Reply #80 on: July 14, 2018, 01:11:41 PM
nice ones guys

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #81 on: July 14, 2018, 02:31:30 PM
 My daughter is now the owner of my BR Essential. I cannot refuse her anything  :facepalm:

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #82 on: July 14, 2018, 02:57:23 PM
My daughter is now the owner of my BR Essential. I cannot refuse her anything  :facepalm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOifa1WrOnQ
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

hr Offline styx

Reply #83 on: July 14, 2018, 03:03:18 PM

you're a good dad

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #84 on: July 14, 2018, 03:19:43 PM
Awwwwwww, that's so nice, Mags. 

But do remind her not to take it to school. Schools frown upon such things these days.   :cry:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #85 on: July 14, 2018, 03:22:28 PM

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #86 on: July 14, 2018, 05:29:21 PM
Awwwwwww, that's so nice, Mags. 

But do remind her not to take it to school. Schools frown upon such things these days.   :cry:
Lol - she's nearly 21 - I expect she'll take it to uni or the disco.  :D

hr Offline styx

Reply #87 on: July 14, 2018, 07:40:17 PM
noooooo!!! that is a surefire way to lose it

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #88 on: July 14, 2018, 08:10:41 PM
But what if someone at the disco needs some string cutting or a new walking/dancing stick whittled?

hr Offline styx

Reply #89 on: July 14, 2018, 08:47:27 PM
But what if someone at the disco needs some string cutting or a new walking/dancing stick whittled?

that is a reasonable argument but bouncers tend to be the grabby lot with cool gear

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%