Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fenix HL50 Battery Question.

BCNZ · 12 · 1511

ca Offline BCNZ

Fenix HL50 Battery Question.
on: March 01, 2018, 02:45:52 AM
Is anyone is using 3.7v rechargeable 16340 batteries in their Fenix HL50?  Fenix says they're 'banned' and only 3v CR123 should be used.  I put a 16340 in my HL50 and it worked but I'm wondering if it will burn-out the LED/circuit board/magic-flashlight-internals.  The light normally has 3 modes plus a 365 lumen burst, with the 16340 inside it only had two modes - the mid setting brightness and the burst brightness, which was on fulltime.  The burst brightness being on fulltime is leading me to think I could fry something if I run these batteries. 

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Re: Fenix HL50 Battery Question.
Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 03:03:06 AM
what's the operating voltage say in the manual specs?

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 03:09:11 AM
I looked at the manuals PDF, I would'nt use Li-ions with that light either 14500 or rcr123, might damage it.

Offline CautiousCanuck

• New User
Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 08:06:51 AM
using rechargeable on lights are fine I've been using rechargeable cr123a 18650 14500 formats on my surefire, chinese knockoff, nitecore, and fenix lights for 3-5 years now they still work fine, it's just that for my fenix pd22 I can't access turbo mode unless I use my primary surefire battery probably because it's a single cell light and thus can't compensate for the lower voltage rechargeable have unlike my multi-cell light. If you choose to use rechargable buy Fenix brand batteries as they're actually work in Canadian inclement weather unlike the olight and a&w batteries I tried which only turned on after a few minute delay/half the time. However a quality battery and charger will probably cost as much as it cost you for the headlamp unless you buy from china and a chinese knockoff brand which I would strongly recommend against. I usually buy my batteries from MEC and Warrior&Wonder while buying my lights/torches/chargers direct from China
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 08:12:31 AM by CautiousCanuck »

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 08:44:58 AM
Lithium primary cr123 are 3 volts, a fully charged rcr123 is 4.2 volts, not all flashlights can take the rechargables, manual says don't use them, so thats what I would do

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 01:25:03 PM
I only use Primaries in mine,why would you think the higher voltage batteries are OK to use when they are explicit in warning against using them in the manual????? :think:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 01:39:23 PM
It depends - some lights have been shown to work with LiIons even though the manufacturer says they do not. 

In many ways this may be so as to stop the light from being destroyed if you accidentally use an AA or AAA size LiIon in  light, which will have a higher voltage than the standard AA or AAA battery.  e.g. Thrunite Ti
Some ofcourse will just burn out if you do that.
It does not mean that this will not affect the health of the light, sooner or later. 

With lower voltage than the  suggested I can not see an issue, apart from the light cutting down on its output, since it is detecting/assuming that the battery is just going flat.

I suggest you search in BLF or CPF before you take any risk

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 02:14:43 PM
I think it is obvious that lower voltage should not harm the light but this question is about using higher voltage in this light.

This light is one of the few multi-cell lights sold that can take either AA or 123 Primaries through the use of body tube extension and spacer so it already is designed to run with a wider range of input voltage than many and in fact I really only use mine with AA cells,either Eneloop or leakers but it is also made to use standard 3v 123 cells.

So even if it will run and many will on the higher voltage lithium rechargeable why try them when Fenix warns not to?

There are plenty of lights designed to use 3.7v cells without the maker warning not to use them.

It depends - some lights have been shown to work with LiIons even though the manufacturer says they do not. 

In many ways this may be so as to stop the light from being destroyed if you accidentally use an AA or AAA size LiIon in  light, which will have a higher voltage than the standard AA or AAA battery.  e.g. Thrunite Ti
Some ofcourse will just burn out if you do that.
It does not mean that this will not affect the health of the light, sooner or later. 

With lower voltage than the  suggested I can not see an issue, apart from the light cutting down on its output, since it is detecting/assuming that the battery is just going flat.

I suggest you search in BLF or CPF before you take any risk
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 02:22:50 PM by ezdog »

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 02:19:00 PM
Did I suggest that he should use them?

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 02:26:59 PM
I am just speaking back to the original post and asking a legitimate question about it.

Sorry if my quoting your post caused confusion about this.

ca Offline BCNZ

Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 04:32:27 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone  :cheers:.
Will stick to using regular CR123s, it's a good light, don't want to wreck it.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 05:35:20 PM
I am just speaking back to the original post and asking a legitimate question about it.

Sorry if my quoting your post caused confusion about this.

No problem - I was just wondering whether something in my post was wrong or confusing

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%