Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Your experience with TexasToolCrafters, products, customercare and service

ro Offline Raoul Octav

Hello,
ever since i owned a Leatherman i wanted a product from TTC.
They appealed to me with their customization ( i'm into that).
Since i live in Romania ( Europe, former communist country, still is despite our efforts ) many things are out of my reach.
Even for my first Leatherman (2009) a had to pull some strings . Anyway.
I managed to have some funds (without the knowledge of my wife) and i contacted TTC.
Shipment in Romania, the land of Dracula, no problem.
Alright, placed the order, with January discount and waited.
Today i went to the Postal buro, had to convince the Customs that no VAT is needed etc and picked my parcel.
Aaaand:
The Damascus stell is nice, something else. Do not know the toughness, i went more for the design/pattern and Damascus thing story telling ( history, layers bla bla).
Nice touch that they provide Torx Bits with every blade.
Yet, the Surge Blade has an awful indentation ( 1mm in the blade), and the black spot has tiny holes .
 Wave blade lock mecanism hole/indent almost goes trough the material and leaves a feeling of unfinished business, although the rest of the blade looks waaay better than the Surge blade
I will contact them and see what is next, but i want to know if i had bad luck or ...
rsz_img_20180301_102308.jpg
* rsz_img_20180301_102308.jpg (Filesize: 121.19 KB)
rsz_img_20180301_102321.jpg
* rsz_img_20180301_102321.jpg (Filesize: 142.66 KB)
rsz_img_20180301_102329.jpg
* rsz_img_20180301_102329.jpg (Filesize: 101.79 KB)
rsz_img_20180301_102337.jpg
* rsz_img_20180301_102337.jpg (Filesize: 102.04 KB)
Sanger's laws:

-any problem has more than one resolve!

-by the way you look at the problem, the resolve may change!

-where's a will there's a way !

ro Offline Raoul Octav

did o pic in black and white to see better the details
rsz_img_20180301_112928.jpg
* rsz_img_20180301_112928.jpg (Filesize: 87.18 KB)
Sanger's laws:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
That looks like a pretty bad nick to me :-\ I have never dealt with them so can't help in that aspect but surely they will do something about it :salute: Otherwise it is a beauty :drool: Best of luck with them :salute:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
I have 2 Charge Everest from them. The "custom" black oxide model from them came like it was put together by a 3 Yr old.. I requested it to be a black ALX with their Damascus scales. Everything went wrong other than the scales. And they didn't bother to put any locktite in their screws. They are already loose when they reach me.

But I have no complain for their customer service though. They will try their best to make things right. I receive a rather big refund for it.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Yes that blade has some serious issue.

Remember that with the current damascus style/type blades you need to use an acid for the layers to show well so if you sharpen it or if you try to remove that damaged part by sharpening you will remove the treated/etched top part and the layers will not be visible.

I am sure some had issues with them before and from what I remember they sorted them out satisfactorily

There is at least one thread on them somewhere here....
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
That blade is a defect, given that round spot and the nick. I have one of their blades on my Wave. IMO, the steel chips more easily than the original blade on the Wave.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
I absolutely would contact them about that blade.  I am surprised they would even let something that obvious out of the door, but everyone makes mistakes.  It happens.  Contact them and give them a chance to fix it.

And make sure to let us know what happens.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Multitool.org store would never allow something like that to be shipped to a buyer!
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ro Offline Raoul Octav

I have emailed them with the same pics attached here. I will let you know how it sorts out.

Sanger's laws:

ro Offline Raoul Octav

i got home and wanted to drill the small hole on the Wave blade , to have it go trough completely. While cheking the drill i found that inside was only dirt. When checking the texastoolcrafter site i saw that their Wave blade has that small hole, not as the original blades wich have only that notch
So Wave blade has absolutely no issues. It was my mistake
Sanger's laws:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Thats non stainless low quality damascus.  Those spots show the different carbon steels have not forge welded together and have delaminated.  I would get a refund on that for sure. 

There is even pics of the scrap damascus for sale on their site that shows what your blade will look like after if not kept well oiled.  I keep saying this every time there is no reason to use non stainless Damascus.  Many sources available for high quality stainless.

https://txtoolcrafters.com/collections/all

« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 09:16:22 PM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools

us Offline Random_Username

Raoul, sorry to hear about your blade. That's a bummer. I hope you get a hold of someone at TxTC and they make it right!

It must be either declining QC or I just lucked out, because the blade I got from them had given me no problems. I'm waiting to see what happens with their reply.

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Thats non stainless low quality damascus.  Those spots show the different carbon steels have not forge welded together and have delaminated.  I would get a refund on that for sure. 

There is even pics of the scrap damascus for sale on their site that shows what your blade will look like after if not kept well oiled.  I keep saying this every time there is no reason to use non stainless Damascus.  Many sources available for high quality stainless.

(Image removed from quote.)

On this steel topic, I am still waiting on someone to have a Japanese company to make Leatherman after market blades with san-mai VG-10, or stainless Damascus (like on the SOG Arcitech). Those are great blade materials.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon

(Image removed from quote.)

On this steel topic, I am still waiting on someone to have a Japanese company to make Leatherman after market blades with san-mai VG-10, or stainless Damascus (like on the SOG Arcitech). Those are great blade materials.

Yes for sure.  Even if they wanted to buy US made there are makers that do stainless Damascus. 

Example. https://nicholsdamascus.com/stainless/
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
That blade is a defect, given that round spot and the nick. I have one of their blades on my Wave. IMO, the steel chips more easily than the original blade on the Wave.
My oh my, can it be worse - my 420hc chipped just by itself from time to time until I replaced it with 154cm
Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
That looks like a pretty bad nick to me :-\ I have never dealt with them so can't help in that aspect but surely they will do something about it :salute: Otherwise it is a beauty :drool: Best of luck with them :salute:

+1

Hope they sort this out.

:cheers:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ro Offline Raoul Octav

Well TTC has not replied to my emails. Will try to use social media, maybe they check those inboxes often.
For me it is clear, never ever will my path and TTC' ever cross again.
Sanger's laws:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Well TTC has not replied to my emails. Will try to use social media, maybe they check those inboxes often.

Ya post up that pic that shows the delamination, everywhere you can and point out that they aren't getting back to you.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club

That's quite unusual, usually their replies are quite fast.. And polite too..

us Offline FrankieBoy

• New User
A while ago I had a good experience purchasing a Leatherman Wave from these guys but that must have been an anomaly. Back in January 2018 I purchased another Leatherman from them, this time it was a Signal. I took advantage of a special, save 40% for waiting 4 weeks for delivery. 4 weeks came and went but no Leatherman. I sent them numerous emails and they completely ignored me. Finally I went to PayPal who tried to reach them and they ignored PayPal! After a long back-and-forth with PayPal I finally got a refund, but it was from PayPal and not from these crooks. I have no idea if they are still in business but their website is still up. I can't believe that they just took my money and ran. It's pretty scary, you've don't realize how vulnerable you are when purchasing through the web until something like this happens and you have to go through a lot of trouble to get your money back. Thank goodness for PayPal or I would have been out the money. Stay away from these criminals.
EDC:
Victorinox CyberTool L on a TEC P-7 Keychain Suspension Clip
ZT 0909 w/Deep Carry Clip
PowerPractical Sparkr Mini Plasma Lighter
Keychain:
     TEC P-7 Suspension Clip
     TEC UFO Titanium Keyring
     Olight 120 Lumens i3E Copper AAA Flashlight
     Kingston DTSE9 G2 USB 3.0 128GB Data Traveler
Flipside 3X RFID Blocking Wallet
iPhone 7 64GB
     Klecker Knives iPhone 7 Case
   Magnesium Fire Starter tool
   Griffin Stowawy tool
   Pen
   Screwdriver
Hav-A-Hank Bandanna

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
A while ago I had a good experience purchasing a Leatherman Wave from these guys but that must have been an anomaly. Back in January 2018 I purchased another Leatherman from them, this time it was a Signal. I took advantage of a special, save 40% for waiting 4 weeks for delivery. 4 weeks came and went but no Leatherman. I sent them numerous emails and they completely ignored me. Finally I went to PayPal who tried to reach them and they ignored PayPal! After a long back-and-forth with PayPal I finally got a refund, but it was from PayPal and not from these crooks. I have no idea if they are still in business but their website is still up. I can't believe that they just took my money and ran. It's pretty scary, you've don't realize how vulnerable you are when purchasing through the web until something like this happens and you have to go through a lot of trouble to get your money back. Thank goodness for PayPal or I would have been out the money. Stay away from these criminals.
Your last post was made on the 18th of may 2017.

It was also a post where you ranted about bad customer service.
These were your only posts so far.
Could you please:

- introduce yourself in the new members section so we can all say hi

- provide any proof of your bad experiences?
Last time was about a custom sheath where the manufacturer mailed you that he'd just sell it on to someone who was clueless.
No pics of the mismade sheath, no screenshot of the email, nothing...

It's not like I don't believe you, but your only posts so far were bad reviews...

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
And ditch the oversized signature pretty please.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
I agree with our two gentleman above   :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
I have not had any dealing with them in quite some time. I do however have the distinction of being one of their best customers when they first started up. At the time, I had no issues with them at all. They were quick to respond to any inquiries, and their shipping was always prompt. Mind you, this was way before they were forced to laser etch info on their products due to Leatherman complaining about their modding practices of their products.

I am sorry to hear the issues folks are having these days about TTC.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 11:40:02 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

nz Offline Pauldmmwc

Hello gang.
i have made a few purchases from TTCand have had no issues with service.  Items always sent with tracking . One item went fron TX to Japan then  back to the US  and fhen on to NewZealand but that is not TTC's fault.
All the waves have been in good nick and although one is a shelf queen the others are used as my edc on a rotation basis every few weeks. The one shows signs of wear on the coating on both sides of the tool in the same place.  Have worked out that it is from the pouch. I use one of the original leather pouches with the round metal push button with the LM name. The inside bit of the button inside the pouch was rubbing continously on the tool hence the wear.  Now I use a black pouch with velcro as supplid by TTC and have no issues.
. May not buy TTC again because I probably have enough but I think I said after LM number 10 and have got a few  many more since then.

:drink:
Semper Sitienti !!

ro Offline Raoul Octav

Hello,
 TTC excused themselvs for the "radio sillence" and the faulty product.
I was offered a replacement blade yet i requested a refund.
 No argument was provided regarding how such a defect slipped their quality control.(i've seen many in my automotive days, so it can happen)
Regarding the radio sillence, it appears the flu was  the root cause. Either way it is their option to use the lessons learned.
Sanger's laws:

se Offline RF52

Good that you got an answer and a solution

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

ro Offline Raoul Octav

Well, me again. After that apology email from TTC, i experienced again a total radio silence treatment. WAY TO GO TTC!
i have no more expectations, money lost.
Since i have this strong feeling that TTC screwed me big time, i will share this story with the www, and not because of the faulty product, but because of the customer care and how they handled things.
From my point of view (now), better buy custom LMN made by Leatherman, do them yourself, and if you want some new blades go somewhere else ( search for Loki-mobile or some blade smith in your area)
Sanger's laws:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Ouch, sorry you went through that!
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%