Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Squirt S4 knockoff

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Leatherman Squirt S4 knockoff
on: March 04, 2018, 04:39:59 PM
I bougth this little Chinese gem about a year ago, but after carrying and testing it for about two weeks it landed in the toolbox and I completely forgot about, until I  found it today. Back then I wasn't a member here - or I was just lurking, don't remember - but now I'll share it with you.

So, as you can see, it's a knockoff of the Leatherman Squirt S4. Unfortunately I only have a PS4, so I am not able to make direct comparisons, but all in all, this little tool - Ruiss 1029 - is not the cheap crap type clone, or knockoff as they don't claim it to be the genuine article. Its still far from what you get in a LM, the tools are all a bit thick and the steel definitely looks and feels cheapish, but it does the job, pretty okay fit&finish wise as well, not wonky or flimsy.

Bought it out of curiosity for $10.49 from Aliexpress. It came in a nice hard cardboard box, in foam cutout.

I did some searching before posting, found it on Amazon for $14.99, also I found phtos of a 1028 model, which has pliers instead of scissors, so that's a P4 knockoff.

ruiss_1.jpg
* ruiss_1.jpg (Filesize: 72.86 KB)
ruiss_2.jpg
* ruiss_2.jpg (Filesize: 84.52 KB)
ruiss_4.jpg
* ruiss_4.jpg (Filesize: 80.63 KB)
ruiss_5.jpg
* ruiss_5.jpg (Filesize: 77.1 KB)

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Re: Leatherman Squirt S4 knockoff
Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 04:42:30 PM
Here it is next to a PS4, and a promotional picture I found on Google. There are some other pics as well, but protected.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 02:31:32 AM
Thanks for that info.  :tu:

I do like to collect odd-ball copies of MTs, but couldn't find the Ruiss 1028 available from any site that was in English (I'm always wary of giving my financial info to a site where I can't properly understand the text it contains, and google translate wasn't getting it done to my satisfaction).  But It was only a mild curiosity anyway, so not a big deal.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 02:54:25 AM
I've got a S4 clone, branded as HX Outdoors.
Not bad, but the S4 is of course much better.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65504.0.html

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 08:47:18 AM
Oh yeah, I wanted to mention that recently I saw the HX Outdoors one as well. And looking at your post, I guess it's the same thing, made in the same factory, just marketed under this relatively new brand. I noticed that apart from selling their knives, in the past year HX Outdoors slapped its name on evertyhing EDC-y, outdoorsy, selling the same stuff as other similar Chinese brands, just under their name.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 07:11:46 PM
Yes, that is a nice one. They have a slightly larger one reminding a bit of the Juice as well, just much smaller. Both are decent quality, and certainly for the price.

I do like to collect odd-ball copies of MTs, but couldn't find the Ruiss 1028 available from any site that was in English

To my surprise I have indeed found that searches sometimes seem to show up other things if I change language or location. Some sites seem to have more or different stuff in Spanish or Russian. (Of course then the problem is finding stuff - although Russian seem surprisingly similar sometimes once you get past the alphabet).

(Changing language or location also often change things when ordering flights or hotels).
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 07:13:24 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 12:50:13 PM
I have one of those Juice look alikes that is actually not bad and way above the usual Chinese cheap MTs

found it at a flea market for a few euros
In fact cost me half of the Gerber Dime and I'd take it every time over the Dime

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%