Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EDC a different SAK every day for 30 days #3 - Minimal Challenge - 74mm Metal

Syem · 225 · 8734

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Following the "EDC a different SAK every day for 30 days?" thread and my subsequent "EDC a different SAK every day - 30 Day Challenge - Alox 84mm/85mm" thread, I'm going to keep going and I'd love for at least one of you to join me in doing a minimal challenge.  :pok:

Starting Monday the 5th of March I will be carrying one of 30 different 74mm Victorinox knives with metal scales (Stainless Steel and Alox) every day to keep going in my whole year of "different SAK every day" but the "minimal challenge" rules are simple : 2 layers or fewer for 30 days so you can join me with a single knife if you want that badge. I'm starting tomorrow but feel free to join me later this week....

I'll be following the same guidelines I set out in month #2 (copy-pasted below). Not planning any breaks for this months... my business trips will be a bit later this year...
Code: [Select]
Some ground rules for the challenges:
 - Carrying/using multiple SAKs simultaneously is ok but we're counting the days and not the knives.
 - Need to carry at least one "not carried in this challenge yet" knife every day. (if you're not doing the whole year with me, feel free to reset your list after each month)
 - Since this will go on for at least a whole year, breaks are allowed but only due to carry restrictions while travelling or because of hospitalization. Just pick up where you left off once you're back.
 - Exact duplicates are allowed but not twice in a row. (do not count as exact duplicates: variations in generations/tool evolution, scale & crest - type & shape & color, wear/damage, inlays/engravings and the likes. Basically, as long as we can tell them apart, it's ok to post them twice in a row). Posting a pic of the duplicates together before carrying them is strongly suggested.

Edit: Forgot to mention I'll keep counting towards my full year so from 61 to 90 this month.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 02:04:59 AM by Syem »

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Sounds good, i might be up for that , will do a few days anyway and see how it goes, with one cellidor,   :tu:
Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
"30 different 74mm Victorinox knives with metal scales (Stainless Steel and Alox)"

Wow! I didn't think there were that many in the world!

Are multiple 2 layer SAKS OK or does it have to be 1 for the 30 days or 30 for 30 days? I could do maybe 10 for 30 days. (Not saying I will! It's a theoretical question!)

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
"30 different 74mm Victorinox knives with metal scales (Stainless Steel and Alox)"

Wow! I didn't think there were that many in the world!

Are multiple 2 layer SAKS OK or does it have to be 1 for the 30 days or 30 for 30 days? I could do maybe 10 for 30 days. (Not saying I will! It's a theoretical question!)

You can complete the minimal sak challenge with 1 or 10 or more knives with max 2 layers... and they don't have to be 74mm or metal-scaled, that's just what I'll be using :D
If you decide to carry 30 different ones you would then have the choice to request either the "minimal sak" badge or the "30 Days and 30 SAKs" badge. I was told I had to chose between the "minimal sak" and the "111mm" badges even if I complete both challenges.... but maybe if it's within 1 challenge you could get both? We would need an official ruling about that.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
This is a fun challenge....I did it a couple of times in the past and really enjoyed it!  I'll be following this from the sidelines this time.
Barry

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
30 different metal 74mm!!  :o :ahhh

I love this size and thickness, this is gonna be interesting!  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
OK Syem I'll join you on this epic journey. If by the end I post one boring red Spartan after the other, don't blame me!

Without further ado I'll plunge into -

DAY 1  - Thunderpants Goes Minimal (SAK-wise not Pants-wise.)

Let's kick off with a living legend - living in the sense that it is still in production. You can't beat the Rancher for pocket awesomeness. Weighing in at a mere 68 grams, according to my dodgy Chinese scales, the Rancher packs the basics into two great layers. Do not take this SAK with you if you go time-travelling back to the 1950s cos you will starve to death owing to your inability to open tins. On the other hand, the Rancher's amazing scimitar pruning blade means you will always be able to find work as a gardener in the service of some beautiful war widow, who will be so impressed by the sophisticated piece of Swiss craftsmanship in your pocket that romance is almost guaranteed to follow. So, time-travellers, it's your call!
Rancher.jpg
* Rancher.jpg (Filesize: 210.55 KB)

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
 :rofl:

Ok im in, as with Thunderpants you can expect me to post a few 84mm's that all look the same and a pile of Spartans but you gotta do what you gotta do when you're going for a badge  :salute:

Day 1  Forgot what this thing is and i cant be bothered checking but its minimal and today it helped me splice an eye on this rope :tu:

nl Online Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Had my dinner now so checked on the wiki, it is indeed a Director  :salute:

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Day 61:

Victorinox Director. Rather old with the single-leaf scissors spring and old style file...

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
I suppose you're going to leave it to me to make a Best Director joke...
best director.jpg
* best director.jpg (Filesize: 34.98 KB)

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Day 2 for me

Behold, the mighty Rangergrip! It seems strange calling this minimalist, cos it's a big fella - but with two layers it's as minimalist as any Spartan. Indeed more-so as it lacks the Spartan's second blade.
This is the one you need if you're planning on making a salad. A one hand opening blade, non-serrated, is a rare thing on planet Victorinox so this one is to be cherished. Never mind the blunt section of the blade - why oh why?! - this thing is a great slicer.
The other standout feature is the caplifter/ large screwdriver. Since I'm not an engineer on an 1850s steam train I don't need this mammoth screwdriver but as a bottle-top-popper, this is the most satisfying tool ever made. No daft and unnecessary lock to contend with. Deploy this sucker, bust that lid open, snap it shut and the serotonin levels in your head will have quadrupled in seconds.
WP_20180306_08_27_17_Pro.jpg
* WP_20180306_08_27_17_Pro.jpg (Filesize: 262.98 KB)

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
30 different 74mm Victorinox knives with metal scales (Stainless Steel and Alox)

:drool:
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Day 2  Solo today, i only have a couple of weeks worth of metal ones then it will be time to break out the Spartans  :climber:

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
I think I'm gonna throw some Spartans in nice and early so that the last 19 days don't get too monotonous!

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Good point, probably best to mix them up a bit  8)

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Day 62:

Victorinox Executive

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Blimey that's a nice one!

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
I think I'm gonna throw some Spartans in nice and early so that the last 19 days don't get too monotonous!

I'm kind of planning to do a "Spartan month"; i've got some fancy ones but it might still be a bit monotonous though so maybe I'll do a couple of 91mm months instead, then a couple of 84mm. Jee I don't know... so many knives to go through! Wenger month? Army month? I'll see when I get there I guess :D
What do you think might warrant the creation of a new badge?

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Wenger month is a good idea!
But what I really want is a Cuticle Pusher badge...

Here's a wonderful Wenger Spartanesque - I can't remember its real Wenger name - who can? - but of course it's not a Spartan. It's more like a Cadet with a corkscrew and a half-arsed awl on the back.
But look at the scales! And weep at the passing of the company that made them!
Wenger Valloton.jpg
* Wenger Valloton.jpg (Filesize: 52.18 KB)

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Wenger month is a good idea!
But what I really want is a Cuticle Pusher badge...

Here's a wonderful Wenger Spartanesque - I can't remember its real Wenger name - who can? - but of course it's not a Spartan. It's more like a Cadet with a corkscrew and a half-arsed awl on the back.
But look at the scales! And weep at the passing of the company that made them!
Those are gorgeous! I have yet to get my hands on one (or more).
BTW Wenger still exists as its own company. They're still making bags/luggage and watches.
On the other hand a part of Wenger still lives within Victorinox. They've kept the Delémont factory and many employees. Also they've released a 65mm Wenger-branded knife a few months ago. It had a grey Vic box along with a Vic tang-stamp on the blade but Wenger scales :D

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Day 63:

Victorinox Prince

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Great looking pocket knife, great looking mountains, great looking lake!  :cheers:

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Good stuff  :tu:
Took the old Wenger today as its WW

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Love those pointy Wenger blades....

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Day 4

Every time I'm packing this two-layer-legend people say, "OMG! Is that a Limited Edition Spartan from 2012? Awesome man! That is sooooo cool!"

Actually, this has never happened. Because it takes more than a serial number between 000001 and 999999 to make something special (There's an extra digit not visible in my picture. A 5 if you're curious.)
Even the red lanyard it came with could not change the fact: it's just a boring red Spartan.

Still, an awesome SAK which can deal with most gentle cutting tasks and booze-related predicaments.
red.jpg
* red.jpg (Filesize: 125.78 KB)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 08:24:12 AM by Thunderpants »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56