Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Journey to find out if the Signal ferro rod is useful or gimmicky

Offline OUTDOORTREE

Curiosity finally got the best of me and I bought the Signal with the intentions of finding out if its a real tool if I need a fire or just a toy.  I decided to see how many fires I could make in different scenarios. 

Fires 1-4 in my living room with a piece of fatwood - got all fires started within a few strikes.

Fire 5 was cutting some firewood in the mountains in the snow last weekend and grabbed a handful of moss sap and twigs - fire started within 3 strikes.

I am going to keep track of how many fires I can start with the rod and log it here so others can see its very useful.  Obviously a guy would like to have dedicated tools for each activity - saw, axe, lighter... but often I go out for quick hikes or hunting and only have my leatherman and I think this is where the signal shines.

Do you have experience with the Signal as a useful tool?

side note - the ferro rod whistle comes with weird grooves that limit how many scrapes you can get so I just trimmed them down and doubled how many strikes you can get out of it.  See pics.
IMG_1083.JPG
* IMG_1083.JPG (Filesize: 244.9 KB)
IMG_1077.jpg
* IMG_1077.jpg (Filesize: 148.5 KB)

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Welcome to :MTO: :cheers: That is an excellent first post and a great thread you have :salute: I have been back and forth over getting a Signal over the last couple years and still have yet to get one but I am sure it is only a matter of time before I do end up with one ::) :D

Be glad to have someone keep up with how many fires they can start with the Signals ferro rod :tu: :like:

Offline OUTDOORTREE

Thanks guys. I lit fire number 6 today in the backyard using pitch wood and signal ferro rod.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 07:10:45 AM by OUTDOORTREE »

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
G'Day,

Welcome to the forum.

I like the Signal and use it as my daily EDC. I replaced the saw with a Wave file and removed the ferro rod, filled the gap to make the tool a little easier to grip. I have no intentions starting fires with it, but it is good to know that one can. Thanks for doing the test for us  ;)

The are a few on the forum that like and use it quite regularly. There was even a Signal 30 day challenge. A good read and see how some of the inmates modified their Signals.

Cheers

Pete

Offline OUTDOORTREE

As of now I have a Surge that stays on my motorcycle because I ride a lot.

A charge that’s been my edc for years but had to be shipped to Leatherman for repair. It’s in he Molle pouch on the tank bag.

And now a signal because I have been wanting one for so long mainly out of curiosity. While charge is in the shop the signal is my EDC and now I plan on carrying it on all hiking hunting fishing excursions. I just need to figure out how to get scissors in there. I would take out can opener and awl if I could put scissors in.

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club

A charge that’s been my edc for years but had to be shipped to Leatherman for repair. It’s in he Molle pouch on the tank bag.

And now a signal because I have been wanting one for so long mainly out of curiosity. While charge is in the shop the signal is my EDC and now I plan on carrying it on all hiking hunting fishing excursions. I just need to figure out how to get scissors in there. I would take out can opener and awl if I could put scissors in.

That is a nice Steed.

I keep a Crunch on my bike. I like having the option of a locking pliers if a cable breaks.

Wave scissors will fit in the Signal, but you will have to modify it slightly. If you remove the can opener and move the bit driver across the scissors will fit width wise. The bit driver will not close though. There is a small metal tab under the can opener that prevents the bit driver to close completely. Have a look at the pic, the bit circled in red must be removed. The second pic shows the bit driver closed against the small metal bit.

Alternatively you can add a Wingman scissors on the outside. Obi1shinobee has done some really nice and comprehensive mods on his Signal. There are some threads in The Mod Squad.

Cheers

Pete

Signal_Bit_toRemove.jpg
* Signal_Bit_toRemove.jpg (Filesize: 138.85 KB)
IMGP2931.JPG
* IMGP2931.JPG (Filesize: 136.86 KB)
IMGP2934.JPG
* IMGP2934.JPG (Filesize: 150.83 KB)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 07:40:38 AM by pietervn »

Offline OUTDOORTREE

Fire 7
Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 09:56:12 AM
Fire 7

So today I got 100’ of titan survivor cord. I figured it would be a perfect match for the signal if legit.

I took one foot and pulled it apart to try the fire starter and boy that stuff must be soaked in gasoline because one spark from the ferro rod it was burning perfectly.

Thus, I rigged up a lanyard of about 20’ of it.

Now if I can find a way to carry a fish hook on this rig I will be set for fires and fishing. Any ideas.

Offline OUTDOORTREE

That is a nice Steed.

I keep a Crunch on my bike. I like having the option of a locking pliers if a cable breaks.

Wave scissors will fit in the Signal, but you will have to modify it slightly. If you remove the can opener and move the bit driver across the scissors will fit width wise. The bit driver will not close though. There is a small metal tab under the can opener that prevents the bit driver to close completely. Have a look at the pic, the bit circled in red must be removed. The second pic shows the bit driver closed against the small metal bit.

Alternatively you can add a Wingman scissors on the outside. Obi1shinobee has done some really nice and comprehensive mods on his Signal. There are some threads in The Mod Squad.

Cheers

Pete

Hey Pete. Thanks for the advice. How did you go about removing the tab you circled in red?

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: Fire 7
Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 12:53:40 PM
Fire 7

So today I got 100’ of titan survivor cord. I figured it would be a perfect match for the signal if legit.

I took one foot and pulled it apart to try the fire starter and boy that stuff must be soaked in gasoline because one spark from the ferro rod it was burning perfectly.

Now if I can find a way to carry a fish hook on this rig I will be set for fires and fishing. Any ideas.

Great intro!

:salute: :tu:

Get some fish hooks , lead weights and line, wrap them awl together and put them inside a small (tiny) ziplock plastic bag. Weave the cord around it (or insert it under some of the loops you awlready have).

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Random_Username

Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 02:35:38 PM
Fire 7

Great intro!

Get some fish hooks , lead weights and line, wrap them awl together and put them inside a small (tiny) ziplock plastic bag. Weave the cord around it (or insert it under some of the loops you awlready have).

Pfrsantos brag me to it! This is a great thread idea!  :like:
I wonder if one could replace the Ferro rod once it finally wears out.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 03:48:26 PM
Fire 7

Great intro!

You'll get it next time!
 :D :D

If you find a relativelly thin enough ferrorod, I don't see why not.

:tu: :tu:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 03:48:53 PM
Fire 7

Great intro!

You'll get it next time!
 :D :D

If you find a relativelly thin enough ferrorod, I don't see why not.

:tu: :tu:

Yup, that's what she said...

:D :D :D :D

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Offline OUTDOORTREE

Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 06:44:23 PM
Fire 7

Great intro!

8 bucks for rod whistle combo through Leatherman

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
I was looking at your pics. If the plastic sits like it's shown, you can just glue another firesteel rod on top of the remains of the initial one.

:think: :think:

It might make the tool a little difficult to use but you can awlways remove the firesteel holder before using the pliers.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Random_Username

Reply #15 on: March 07, 2018, 07:52:31 PM

Oh, that’s pretty reasonable. I was even thinking grab a small Ferro rod from firesteels.com or any similar site and epoxy it in place of the used up one. For $8, it’s worth it to just replace it direct from LM.  :tu:

Offline OUTDOORTREE

Reply #16 on: March 07, 2018, 08:02:34 PM

Oh, that’s pretty reasonable. I was even thinking grab a small Ferro rod from firesteels.com or any similar site and epoxy it in place of the used up one. For $8, it’s worth it to just replace it direct from LM.  :tu:

Yeah. The plastic kind of pinches it but it looks like you could pry it open. When you his rod is used up I will try and pry it open and glue a new one in. But for 8 bucks and a clean fit I will likely stay on that route.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
You can pop the ferro rod out using the can opener.
Pry gently at the gap between the end of the ferro rod and the narrow end of the holder.

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Hey Pete. Thanks for the advice. How did you go about removing the tab you circled in red?

G'Day Mate,

I did not. I was not prepared to do it at that stage. It was my only Signal and was using it for the 30 Challenge. To be honest, I'm not to sure I will do it now either. It will have to be by hand and pretty gentle.

Cheers

Pete

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return

G'Day Mate,

I did not. I was not prepared to do it at that stage. It was my only Signal and was using it for the 30 Challenge. To be honest, I'm not to sure I will do it now either. It will have to be by hand and pretty gentle.

Cheers

Pete

I've removed them with a cutting wheel on a grinder.
Also pressed them back in line with the handle using vise grips.
It's easy to do and gets it out of the way.
Generally what prevents the bit driver from closing is the lock release tab pivot.
The bit driver sits okay to the right because it has a cut out for the bit retention spring.
Just grind a little channel and you'll be right.
Actually while you're at it, remove the knife safety thing and re peen the lock release spring so the scissor handle has more room.

Offline OUTDOORTREE

Signal saw lock not working?
Reply #20 on: March 11, 2018, 05:23:41 AM
Another good fire for the Signal. Was on a sandy river beach using just dry weeds and papery bark. No pic because didn’t have phone.

I am finding the signal saw lock is not holding up when striking. Anyone else have this issue?

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Re: Signal saw lock not working?
Reply #21 on: March 11, 2018, 07:04:29 AM
I am finding the signal saw lock is not holding up when striking. Anyone else have this issue?

No, I have not had the saw close on me at all. Be mindful of where your thumb is when striking, it may just inadvertently push the liner lock in.  ???

Pete

Offline gadgetman7

I use the awl. It works okay but not great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline OUTDOORTREE

I have lit a couple more fires with the signal. And lots of failed attempts with poor kindling.

I am pretty much worn down to the yellow but has a few more fires in it. But I will order the replacement now. Best part of this was getting good practice at good kindling and fire starting technique. 

I would say 10 good fires built at 3-5 strikes each  and 15 attempts with 10 strikes each.

Not bad for the little bugger and definitely works in a pinch.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Nice pic, like!   :tu:   :tu:

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
So you could get several fires going if the kindling had been ideal every time :tu: I know that isn't always possible but good to know :like:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
So... something like 200 strikes?

I hate to be a naysayer, but I purchased 6 ferro rods from ebay, 4.5x75mm each. They cost me $2.01 shipped, total for all 6.

A new ferro rod for a Signal costs $8. While I don't have a Signal to check, I'm pretty sure that rod isn't 75mm long nor 4.5mm around.

Meaning, in short, it seems like an extraordinarily huge ripoff... unless you're going on a survival show, and need your MT, file, and firestarter to count as 'one item'.

And before a counter of 'maybe your cheap ferro rods aren't as good' can be levied, I've already tested them, and they work fine.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 07:04:22 PM by Lynn LeFey »

Offline aikon2014

I don't defend it, but I think it's meant to be as a backup, more of a survival situation backup. For an example, in the first season of Alone Joe Robinet lost his ferrorod, if he have had the signal he could have at least got enough fires going to last him the time out in the wild, especially if he would have done as Zach Fowler and made one fire last for several weeks without any strikes on the firesteel. However, most people are probably not going to use it as a backup or last resort, so it's pretty useless.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
That's a bit apples and oranges Lynn.
Dedicated anythings often work better for cheaper.
Price may dictate the having.
Function comes down to the tool and who is using it.
And we've definitely covered the cost of the Signal here before.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
However, most people are probably not going to use it as a backup or last resort, so it's pretty useless.

Fixed.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD