Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Journey to find out if the Signal ferro rod is useful or gimmicky

Offline aikon2014

However, most people are probably not going to use it as a backup or last resort, so it's pretty useless.

Fixed.

:D

Offline OUTDOORTREE

If I plan on needing fire while camping/ backpacking I carry Kabar Becker BK 2 and a fat ferro rod with Vaseline cotton balls. 

Where the signal fits with me is the quick squirrel hunt that was impromptu or the quick fishing trip because I have my rod in the back of the truck or something on those lines.  I definitely prefer dedicated tools but I am often doing impromptu trips where I do not have my dedicated tools but have my leathermans near by.  In those instances the signal is a great fit for me.  Last fall I took the kids for an unplanned hike and of course one fell in the stream and quickly made a fire to get him warm and clothes dry.  Luckily I happened to have a lighter in my pocket but often I don't because I hardly every use one.

The other benefit for me using the signal is that it forces me to learn to spend the time to have fire materials prepared.  Starting a fire is easy when everything goes right and your hiking on a sunny day.  Hopefully by forcing myself to start all fires with the signal will mean I am better prepared when I really need to do one in a real situation.

Price wise I got mine at bimart in Yakima WA for $70 so I didn't think that was unfair for a good tool.  Even though the whistle ferro rod is a little steep I think the price is worth it because I will never forget to grab a ferro rod because it is attached and that holds value for me.  I am very good about forgetting the little things but good about remembering my toys like the signal.  Anyways I find it useful and practical for what I do.

Yeah 200 strikes sounds about right.  As I get better at starting fires hopefully that translates into more fires.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Awarded.   :tu:   Congrats on your first badge.   :cheers:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Yeah 200 strikes sounds about right.  As I get better at starting fires hopefully that translates into more fires.

I'm not knocking the function of the Signal. I'm just not happy at the replacement price.

I built the little fire striker from a bic mini, and I tested how many strikes it could get while burning the fuel of the bic out, and that was like 1200. AND there was still a very large amount of the ferro rod in the striker left, maybe 2/3 or 3/4 of it. Probably reasonably enough to get 6000 strikes.

As an emergency backup method of firestarting, yeah, I get it. It just seems overpriced is all I'm saying. And I'm cheap. :D

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Mini bic fire striker... brilliant. Thread link?

us Offline Lynn LeFey

"Lynn Tests the 'Micro Fire Starting Kit' lighter hack"
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,74717.0.html

Initial testing showed me that it was seriously finicky, but after a handful of attempts, it started working VERY consistently.

Offline aikon2014

I think it's just a bic lighter without the metal guard and gas tank, aka. the "striker" wheel and ferro mini rod. It uses the same small rods as Zippo.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return

"Lynn Tests the 'Micro Fire Starting Kit' lighter hack"
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,74717.0.html

Initial testing showed me that it was seriously finicky, but after a handful of attempts, it started working VERY consistently.

Good to know, thank you.   :cheers:   I'll go have a read.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return

I think it's just a bic lighter without the metal guard and gas tank, aka. the "striker" wheel and ferro mini rod. It uses the same small rods as Zippo.

:cheers:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Is the micro fire starter small enough to replace the Signal ferro/whistle?   :think:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Is the micro fire starter small enough to replace the Signal ferro/whistle?   :think:

I think a 3d printed plastic body could be made, incorporating the wheel, spring, and rod from a bic, that could fit in the space a Signal's whistle/ferro rod take up.

And now you've got me thinking about getting 3d software and modelling it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%