Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Exeter's 30-day Rebar challenge

Exeter · 150 · 5995

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Exeter's 30-day Rebar challenge
on: March 07, 2018, 11:05:26 PM
After completing the 30-day 111 Vic challenge yesterday, I deciced I wanna keep the momentum going, so here I'll attempt to go on a 30-day Rebar challenge. If it's just half as nice as Nix's and Lew's recent Rebar challenges - both of which I enjoyed very much - I'll be happy.

For the first day, I'll just introduce my tool. I got this Rebar as a warranty replacement for an old Pulse with a terribly loose rocker lock back in December. (See https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,72829.msg1597520.html#msg1597520).

Although I really liked the sleek design of the Pulse, and losing the scissors was a bit of a shame, I was happy with the Rebar as well, and I still like it very much, but there were/are a few annoyances.  >:(

First off, one of the locktabs had quite a side to side play and as a consequence an annoying rattle as well. Poor tolerances. I dealt with it by taking a piece of an old high "e" guitar string and wound it twice aroung the pivot(?) on one side, as shown on the photo. Not the most stylish solution, but worked perfectly.

The second and still existing annoyance is the handle play. I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about: after the pliers loosened up, the handles developed a small play in closed position, they do not line up solidly. It's not that easy to show on a photo, so just watch the shadow. This problem still causes a small rattle, but I can live with it, and it has no bearing on the functionality. 

My third problem was easy to remedy, I just got the awl sharpened properly. I don't understand why Leatherman realeases their awls so blunt, but the Juice XE6's also needed sharpening. I'm still considering getting the can opener sharpened as well. I made it a bit pointier with my rotary tool, but maybe a proper wheel would do better.

Anyway, that's awl for now, feel free to follow and comment on the challenge, I just hope I can make it somewhat entertaining. If not, well, I can always say I only did it for the badge! :D

And sorry no giveaway at the end...  :rofl:
rebar.jpg
* rebar.jpg (Filesize: 89.24 KB)
rebar_string.jpg
* rebar_string.jpg (Filesize: 77.25 KB)
rebar_gap.jpg
* rebar_gap.jpg (Filesize: 51.46 KB)
rebar_awl.jpg
* rebar_awl.jpg (Filesize: 58.44 KB)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 11:08:16 PM by Exeter »

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Re: Exeter's 30-day Rebar challenge
Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 11:24:14 PM
 :like: :like: :like: :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 11:51:38 PM
Rough start.

Can you replace the guitar string with a fine washer?  :think:

I sharpened up my awl as well. The awl is way too useful to leave dull.

Hope the rest of the challenge goes smoothly!  :tu:

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 12:06:42 AM
Rough start.

Can you replace the guitar string with a fine washer?  :think:

I sharpened up my awl as well. The awl is way too useful to leave dull.

Hope the rest of the challenge goes smoothly!  :tu:

Well I guess I made it sound worse than it is, I'm actually fine with the tool. :)

And I don't know how I could put a washer there, I mean I don't want to accidentally bend some part while taking out the tab. The string doesn't look too nice close up, but it's actually completely hidden inside, does not interfere with the opening of the tools and keeps the locktab tight. Should I risk the integrity of the tool for some admittedly more elegant, but only equally effective solution? Good question.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 12:13:09 AM
I may not understand exactly what is involved here.

But, if it's working for you, fantastic!  :tu:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 12:15:33 AM
Good luck with the challenge !  The Rebar is a great tool and easily modified.

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 12:52:01 AM
I may not understand exactly what is involved here.

But, if it's working for you, fantastic!  :tu:

Perhaps I explained it poorly, and now I willl use a poor drawing to make it clearer. :) So, I pushed the string (any kind of wire, I just had this one thin enough at the time) through the gap between the tab and the edge of the side, wound it around the tab's pivot from the inside, pulled it tight, pushed the ends out again and did the same thing once more, then wound the ends of the wire together on the inside, clipped the ends as short as I could, creating a pseudo-washer/spacer to fill the gap in the end. Sorry, as English is not my mother tongue and I'm not really a technical minded person, this is the best way I can explain.  :)

string washer 2.jpg
* string washer 2.jpg (Filesize: 109.26 KB)
string washer.jpg
* string washer.jpg (Filesize: 102.11 KB)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 01:24:10 AM
Your English is great!

And I think I understand better now.  :tu:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 05:14:11 AM
Rather disappointing to see those issues with a tool that was sent as a replacement.
The Rebar is a great tool. I finally got to carry it after the Spirit and 111mm challenges.
Looking forward to how it does.  :like:

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 11:56:46 AM
Good luck with the challenge :cheers: The Rebar is one of my favs and it a great tool overall so it should perform as needed :tu: :like:

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 03:10:34 PM
Day 2

We're visiting my Mom for the weekend. A couple of weeks ago she mistakenly bought a set of headband magnifier instead of a headlamp, and I told her that I'll take the magnifier and promised her a proper headlamp in exchange. So, my old headlamp needed new  batteries. At first I thought, oh well, the Rebar will fail at the very first task in this challlenge, and I have to use some other tool's driver, but surprisingly, the Philips driver fit the screws perfectly. Job done.

EDIT: Perhaps I should try and magnetize the driver as I dropped the damn screw three times while trying to take the photo...

rebar_day_2.jpg
* rebar_day_2.jpg (Filesize: 96.66 KB)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 04:10:39 PM by Exeter »

us Offline Obi1shinobee

Reply #11 on: March 08, 2018, 03:33:01 PM
Day 2

We're visiting my Mom for the weekend. A couple of weeks ago she mistakenly bought a set of headband magnifier instead of a headlamp, and I told her that I'll take the magnifier and promised her a proper headlamp in exchange. So, my old headlamp needed new  batteries. At first I thought, oh well, the Rebar will fail at the very first task in this challlenge, and I have to use some other tool's driver, but surprisingly, the Philips driver fit the screws perfectly. Job done.

:like:

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: March 08, 2018, 06:49:50 PM
The Rebar Phillips actually works in a surprising number of Phillips screw sizes :salute: nice job :like:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #13 on: March 08, 2018, 09:49:57 PM
 :like:
Cool challenge so far.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: March 08, 2018, 09:51:42 PM
Day 2

EDIT: Perhaps I should try and magnetize the driver as I dropped the damn screw three times while trying to take the photo...
I have that headlamp.  :o

I don’t like it. :P :rofl:

All hail the hook!

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 09:55:03 PM
Day 2

That's why it's my old headlamp and happy to give it away...  :D But for Mom's needs it will be just fine.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: March 08, 2018, 09:59:02 PM
Day 2

That's why it's my old headlamp and happy to give it away...  :D But for Mom's needs it will be just fine.
Do you have a new one? Can we see it?   :D
Did I mention that I like flashlights?  :rofl:

All hail the hook!

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: March 08, 2018, 10:28:42 PM
Day 2

Do you have a new one? Can we see it?   :D
Did I mention that I like flashlights?  :rofl:

Yes, I have another one, but it's either in the car or down in the basement with the bikes, so maybe tomorrow, if I won't forget. But don't get too excited, it's still a cheap, non-brand Chinese light only with more modern - XML(?) or Cree(?) or is that the same thing? - LED emitter. I'm really not into flashlights, I just need them to give some light when it's needed. :)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: March 08, 2018, 10:32:47 PM
Hey, having a proper emitter instead of a cluster of led bulbs is a plus point in my book.  :tu:
Cree makes XM-Ls

All hail the hook!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #19 on: March 09, 2018, 02:01:40 PM
I always magnetize the drivers on my tools   :salute:
have a fun challenge, the Rebar is awesome!  :cheers:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: March 09, 2018, 02:43:08 PM
Day 3

Only been at Mom's for an hour and the Rebar already had something to do. Mom cleaned the upholstery on the armchairs, but she was not able to put back the armrest/frame solidly. I tightened the nuts on the bottom with the pliers and switched the screws on the armrest to longer, more secure ones with the Philips driver.

The long shank of the driver came in handy because of the recessed screws. I think I couldn't have done this task with a Wave or my Juice's short Philips driver.

Mom asked if it's my 'wonder tool' again - indeed it is!  :multi:

rebar_day_3.jpg
* rebar_day_3.jpg (Filesize: 102.81 KB)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 02:59:30 PM by Exeter »

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #21 on: March 09, 2018, 03:50:25 PM
Following!  :like:

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: March 09, 2018, 11:33:34 PM

How do you guys do this?
Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: March 09, 2018, 11:46:05 PM

How do you guys do this?
I think that you rub it with a strong magnet.  :D

All hail the hook!

us Offline Obi1shinobee

Reply #24 on: March 10, 2018, 12:35:31 AM
Day 3

Only been at Mom's for an hour and the Rebar already had something to do. Mom cleaned the upholstery on the armchairs, but she was not able to put back the armrest/frame solidly. I tightened the nuts on the bottom with the pliers and switched the screws on the armrest to longer, more secure ones with the Philips driver.

The long shank of the driver came in handy because of the recessed screws. I think I couldn't have done this task with a Wave or my Juice's short Philips driver.

Mom asked if it's my 'wonder tool' again - indeed it is!  :multi:

:tu:

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: March 10, 2018, 09:41:17 AM
Day 4

Follow-up on the magnetization: DONE.

I tried magnetizing the drivers right after I posted about it two days ago, but I did not have a strong enough magnet to do it then, at home. Now, as we're here at Mom's place where I have a lot of my old stuff, I just dug up an old speaker of mine to extract the strong magnet. With the Rebar it was easy-peasy, and now my drivers are all magnetized. I used the Philips head, the pliers, as I did not have a proper size hex driver for the face-plate screws, the small flathead for popping off the face-plate, the Philips again, and the wirecutters as well. All with one tool, nice.

Disclaimer: the photos are a recreation of the process, as I just ripped through the take-down in one go for the first time, and forgot to document it.

(9 photos, 3-parter post.)

magnet_8.jpg
* magnet_8.jpg (Filesize: 112.59 KB)
magnet_7.jpg
* magnet_7.jpg (Filesize: 91.83 KB)
magnet_6.jpg
* magnet_6.jpg (Filesize: 98.15 KB)
magnet_5.jpg
* magnet_5.jpg (Filesize: 111.61 KB)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 10:01:03 AM by Exeter »

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: March 10, 2018, 09:42:59 AM
Day 4 continued

magnet_4.jpg
* magnet_4.jpg (Filesize: 100.24 KB)
magnet_3.jpg
* magnet_3.jpg (Filesize: 129.38 KB)
magnet_2.jpg
* magnet_2.jpg (Filesize: 138.31 KB)
magnet_1.jpg
* magnet_1.jpg (Filesize: 91.72 KB)

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: March 10, 2018, 09:59:50 AM
Day 4 still contiuned

Bonus pic: the Rebar and the two magnets I gained.

rebar_magnets.jpg
* rebar_magnets.jpg (Filesize: 131.23 KB)

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: March 10, 2018, 12:27:10 PM
Always good to have a nice strong magnet around :like: :like: Great pics and great use to get a magnetized driver :cheers:

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: March 11, 2018, 07:01:23 PM
Day 5

No task for the Rebar today, we've beeb on the road, so here's something mildly interesting, the Rebar and an original Supertool-stlye/size Chinese Mammut multitool from the toolbox of my Mom's late partner. It's pretty beat up, the handles must have been overtorqued at some point, because they are completely loose and don't line up closed, but when new, this might have been an okay-ish tool, not that ultimate crap type.

rebar_mammut_1.jpg
* rebar_mammut_1.jpg (Filesize: 121.2 KB)
rebar_mammut_2.jpg
* rebar_mammut_2.jpg (Filesize: 132.19 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%