Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Exeter's 30-day Rebar challenge

Exeter · 150 · 5996

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Exeter's 30-day Rebar challenge
Reply #60 on: March 19, 2018, 03:03:15 PM
Exeter, we do use the term "Short Ribs." And they are delicious!  :cheers:

Offline lew

Reply #61 on: March 19, 2018, 03:56:00 PM
Exeter, great job so far! :tu:  You can see the end of the tunnel!

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: March 20, 2018, 06:55:50 PM
Day 14

I'm feeling a bit under the weather today, so not a really active day, but I was experimenting with pocket carry solutions for the Rebar with some kind of hanging carry, as although it it slim enough to be placed in my jeans pocket, it just won't stay upright, and laying horizontally it looks silly and feels uncomfortabla. First I tired a simple hook attached to the lanyard hole with a small split ring, but it turned out impractical, I have to hold the hook whil using the tools, otherwise it gets in the way. Then I tired an S-biner, so I can separate the tool from the hook, but this is just overcomplicated, and hangs too low anyway. I guess he best, simplest and most elegant soultion would be a simple double ended hook. I even tried bending this one, but with my hands and two pliers it was impossible. And due to its shape and "real estate" at its free end, it might not be possible at all to bend it back enough.

Do any of you guys carry the Rebar suspended in your pockets? If so, how? Any ideas, advice for me?

day_14_1.jpg
* day_14_1.jpg (Filesize: 166.97 KB)
day_14_11.jpg
* day_14_11.jpg (Filesize: 162.17 KB)
day_14_2.jpg
* day_14_2.jpg (Filesize: 55.24 KB)
day_14_3.jpg
* day_14_3.jpg (Filesize: 65.6 KB)

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #63 on: March 20, 2018, 07:16:37 PM
You could add a Kick or Sideclip pocket clip to it. Poncho added one to his modded Rebar . Or try one of those stick on ones from Nite Ize.

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: March 20, 2018, 08:36:07 PM
You could add a Kick or Sideclip pocket clip to it. Poncho added one to his modded Rebar . Or try one of those stick on ones from Nite Ize.

Thanks, Steve C, but to clarify a bit, I'm only looking for some temporary solution, as I mostly carry the Rebar in my bag/backpack and would only put it in my pocket very-very occasionally.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #65 on: March 20, 2018, 08:37:04 PM

Thanks, Steve C, but to clarify a bit, I'm only looking for some temporary solution, as I mostly carry the Rebar in my bag/backpack and would only put it in my pocket very-very occasionally.

Sheath then  :D

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #66 on: March 21, 2018, 02:48:53 AM
If not on by belt in a sheath, (work mode), I carry my Rebar naked in my rear jean pocket on right side, opposite my wallet.

It lays horizontal in pocket, easy to pull out and deploy.  I also can carry in flat sheath in rear pocket as well. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

Offline lew

Reply #67 on: March 21, 2018, 02:58:51 AM
Add a gate clip to your P-7.  Then, you can take it off when it gets in the way.  Here's my Workchamp with a P-7 and a gate clip.  This one's 25mm, much shorter than a S-Biner.  P-7 + S-Biner hung too low for me too.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 03:03:02 AM by lew »

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: March 21, 2018, 07:18:30 PM
Day 15

Lew, your pic reminded me that I had some of those carabiners as well, so I tried one, but even that way the tool hung too low and sat tilted in my pocket. Maybe my pocket is the problem. :D

Also the Rebar saw some use today tightening a loose door handle (no pics) and opening "fancy" rechargeable batteries my wife bought.

day_15_1.jpg
* day_15_1.jpg (Filesize: 37.41 KB)
day_15_2.jpg
* day_15_2.jpg (Filesize: 78.97 KB)
day_15_3.jpg
* day_15_3.jpg (Filesize: 51.41 KB)
day_15_4.jpg
* day_15_4.jpg (Filesize: 71.18 KB)

Offline lew

Reply #69 on: March 21, 2018, 08:12:29 PM
Day 15

Lew, your pic reminded me that I had some of those carabiners as well, so I tried one, but even that way the tool hung too low and sat tilted in my pocket. Maybe my pocket is the problem. :D

Also the Rebar saw some use today tightening a loose door handle (no pics) and opening "fancy" rechargeable batteries my wife bought.
In some pants it does bottom out and tilt but it's more comfortable than lying horizontally in the pocket.  In most of my jeans it hangs vertically.  I got used to it and don't even notice it now.  Great use for the sheepsfoot!

Offline OUTDOORTREE

Reply #70 on: March 21, 2018, 09:09:06 PM
What is a 30 day challenge? Does it mean I only use the specific tool for 30 days and give daily reports on what I used it for?

Thanks for the tip

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #71 on: March 21, 2018, 09:13:47 PM
What is a 30 day challenge? Does it mean I only use the specific tool for 30 days and give daily reports on what I used it for?

Thanks for the tip

In a nutshell yes and post a pic everyday.

And welcome aboard if I haven't already done so  :cheers:

Offline OUTDOORTREE

Reply #72 on: March 21, 2018, 09:17:52 PM

Thanks for the tip

Is there a good app to use for my iphone. Downloaded tapatalk but cant find this forum when searching for it?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #73 on: March 21, 2018, 09:30:42 PM

Thanks for the tip

Is there a good app to use for my iphone. Downloaded tapatalk but cant find this forum when searching for it?
The mobile version of the forum website is nice.  :cheers:
It's the only way I access the forum on my iPhone.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #74 on: March 21, 2018, 09:33:01 PM

Thanks for the tip

Welcome OUTDOORTREE! As Steve C already confirmed, you're correct, it is what you described. Also, there are some shorter challenges as well, 15-day and even 7-day ones. If you complete a challenge like this, you may apply for a merit badge as well. If you take a look at the "available awards" under your own profile, you will see a bunch of different challenges listed and also other types of accomplishments awarded with these badges.

Regarding your other question, I have no idea, I only visit the forum from my computer, but I'm sure someone else will be able to help.

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #75 on: March 22, 2018, 12:56:46 AM
It is on Tapatalk, listed as Multitool.org

Hope yours is as good!

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: March 22, 2018, 06:38:00 PM
Day 16

Busy day with lots of work, the Rebar rested, so just a photo of some steely EDC stuff for now. (Don't mind the date on the watch, that mechanism broke a long time ago.  :) Also, I know I'm cheating a bit with the Silvertech Vic scales, but fits the composition well.)

day_16.jpg
* day_16.jpg (Filesize: 77.99 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #77 on: March 22, 2018, 08:21:23 PM
Great pics and uses :like:

I did add a Kick clip to my Rebar and it makes pocket carry so much easier :salute: but if you want to use the suspension clip I also carry several SAKs and my small pocket flashlight this way :like: I use the little lobster claws on some of the clips as well to swap them back and forth between a few things as well :tu: If I can clip it or put a clip on it I am going to try though :D Good luck on finding a solution that works for you :cheers:

Offline lew

Reply #78 on: March 22, 2018, 09:02:45 PM
Great pics.  Love the SAK scales!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #79 on: March 23, 2018, 02:00:26 PM
Day 16

Busy day with lots of work, the Rebar rested, so just a photo of some steely EDC stuff for now. (Don't mind the date on the watch, that mechanism broke a long time ago.  :) Also, I know I'm cheating a bit with the Silvertech Vic scales, but fits the composition well.)

love all that silver/grey stuff.  8)
 Excellent pic!!!   :like:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #80 on: March 23, 2018, 10:33:50 PM
Day 17

First of all, thanks guys! And regarding the challenge, the Rebar saw some use today again, since I started, I use it more and more regularly for food prep/eating - I find the serrated blade excellent in these kind of roles -, also, one of the doors on wifey's wardrobe started to tilt a bit so some screws needed some tightening. (Bonus for the quiz and music lovers: how many and what kind of band shirts can you spot on the photo?  :rofl:)

day_17_1.jpg
* day_17_1.jpg (Filesize: 119.43 KB)
day_17_2.jpg
* day_17_2.jpg (Filesize: 161.64 KB)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #81 on: March 24, 2018, 03:58:43 AM
I'm just envious of her NASA t-shirt!  :tu:

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #82 on: March 24, 2018, 04:52:03 AM
I'm just envious of her NASA t-shirt!  :tu:

A couple of years ago I turned her onto the Space Race, all that historical stuff, and seeing how much she liked whole era, the aesthetics as well, one Christmas I surprised her with that shirt.

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #83 on: March 24, 2018, 05:39:10 PM
A picture idea
Have her model the Tee Shirt while holding the Rebar!!!

Hope yours is as good!

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #84 on: March 24, 2018, 08:15:07 PM
A picture idea
Have her model the Tee Shirt while holding the Rebar!!!

;) Maybe I'll ask her.

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #85 on: March 24, 2018, 08:19:25 PM
Day 18

I haven't really used the Rebar today, but I'll share something I discovered the other day. As some of you may remember from the start of the thread, mine came with a small defect: it couldn't be closed perfectly tight, the handles moved a bit and rattled, as there was a little play in them.

A few days ago I tried to methodically investigate what part(s) might casue this, and from looking at it during closing dozens of times from all angles and applying light pressure at different points of the handles while closed, two points became suspect.

I identified the meeting point of the of rolled edges as one possible "pivot point" not letting the handles line up but levering instead as they had the tiniest bump there, where the edges were ever so slightly proud - so I took a diamond file and smoothed the area and that helped a bit, the play became less when applying pressure on the ends of the handles when closed.

Secondly, looking at small rub marks on the side of the pliers, I discovered, that one of the handle rivets was too proud on the inside as well, and that was another point acting as a pivot in a lever system when closed, not letting the plier sit perfeclty flat, so I ground a hair off of it with my rotary tool, which brought another step of improvement.

And the thing I discovered after still playing around with it, folding it, closing it, feeling where there might be something like the above, is that if I apply vertical forces on the ends of the handles in the opposite direction, something "clicks" inside, and the two sides "lock" together nicely, the play is gone, I guess the pliers's point just slides and ramps further up on the back of the drivers and sticks snugly.

So with this method now I can close it nicely, just one more step, one movement and the handles stay together, no gap between them.

I really hope my explanation makes sense, as I already said, my English technical vocabulary is pretty shaky. I guess the photos will help. (Note the visual representation of the click on the last pic!  :rofl:   :facepalm:)

day_18_1.jpg
* day_18_1.jpg (Filesize: 112.8 KB)
day_18_2.jpg
* day_18_2.jpg (Filesize: 88.74 KB)
day_18_3.jpg
* day_18_3.jpg (Filesize: 65.57 KB)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 08:43:59 PM by Exeter »

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #86 on: March 24, 2018, 08:41:08 PM
Good explanation and great pics !  :like:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #87 on: March 25, 2018, 02:10:59 PM
my ST300 has a similar issue and I "click it" like you do to address it  :cheers:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #88 on: March 25, 2018, 03:42:46 PM
Good explanation and great pics !  :like:

+1 What Steve said :D

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #89 on: March 25, 2018, 07:32:45 PM
Day 19

Anther busy day with lots of work, actually, a busy weekend as the Formula 1 season just started this weekend and my job is very much related to that. (No, unfortunately I'm not associated with any team in any shape of form, I'm not a mechanic or engineer or anything like that, I'm just a hack reporting on it...) So in the spirit of F1, here's little old model car of mine and the Rebar.

day_19.jpg
* day_19.jpg (Filesize: 128.62 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44