Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Please sign Canadian knife import ban e-petition

Offline SharpCdn

• New User
Please sign Canadian knife import ban e-petition
on: March 08, 2018, 06:09:45 AM
As posted by another caring poster in another forum:

Canadian Member of Parliament (MP) sponsored e-petition against Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) import ban

As most of us in the knife world know the latest "interpretation" of a prohibited weapon by CBSA has tossed the Canadian knife market on its head. Even more worrying are the implications if other enforcement agencies adopt this interpretation.

Thankfully we have a glimmer of hope in the form of an e-petition sponsored by an MP in the House of Commons.

•The Canadian International Trade Tribunal has deemed one-hand opening knives prohibited from import.

Please sign it and help show some push back to this ridiculous overreach by the CBSA!

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-1552

Please discuss this issue with your friends and family and let them know about this petition!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 06:12:08 AM by SharpCdn »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Re: Please sign Canadian knife import ban e-petition
Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 12:12:59 PM
I guess that you have the best intention for all of us knife nuts, but your two posts on this forum have been just a link to the petition.  :ahhh

I saw your petition already on Spyderco forums and Bladeforums and I copied the link here so that you didn't have to come and register just to post this...did it a few days ago actually.

Good luck on that
and welcome to  :MTO:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 01:29:30 PM
As forum owner and Canadian, I welcome anyone trying to help the cause.   :tu:

However, to many it does appear a bit spammy as mi amigo El Peacent said, so why not take a moment and let us know a little bit about yourself as well.  Obviously you are just as concerned as the rest of us about this issue (rightly so) and you are spreading the word.  I would appreciate hearing what efforts you are going to to help resolve the problem but I understand if you don't want to say too much publicly. 

If you prefer not to post your thoughts here, please feel free to contact me at (613) 518-5545 or grant@multitool.org.   :tu:

Def
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 01:36:30 PM by Grant Lamontagne »
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline SharpCdn

• New User
Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 01:52:19 PM
I guess that I do not make a good first impression, but thank you for giving me the benefit of the doubt and extending your welcome to me. Thank you.

My intention is not to spam, I just think that the people that are affected most by this decision need to be aware of it and have a chance to express their opinion. Multi-tools that have outside accessible blades are subject to this new import ban, the way the ban has been written

FYI, I have been a lurker on this site for a long time, and even tried to register previously but ran into problems and gave up. I have modded many of my Swiss Army knives and Leatherman tools after reading the tutorials from the awesome members on this forum - so I feel like I have been a member here for a long time!

I promise to contribute more to the forum as member!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 03:09:57 PM
Welcome to :MTO: Sharp :salute: Great cause this e-petition :cheers:

Can anyone sign or do I need to be Canadian :think:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 04:21:50 PM
Looks like you have to be either a Canadian citizen or a resident of Canada.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 08:41:57 PM
First off, SharpCdn, I did not mean to imply that you were a spammer.  I wholeheartedly approve of your message, I just wanted to make sure that others didn't think it was spam.  I'm glad to have you here- always nice to have more Canadians here.  :D

Secondly- for the rest of you, the petition is for Canadians only.  While I appreciate the support of all of you, the Canadian Government is most likely going to ignore the input of everyone who is not Canadian, and I don't see much point in all of you wasting your time signing something when someone is going to ignore it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 10:34:29 PM
The commonwealth should be able to vote too. 😀
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 10:35:45 PM
...  and all the countries with the queen as head of state.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 06:02:30 AM
Just signed.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 06:31:53 AM
How Canadian do you have to be?

I bought a bottle of maple syrup once .....

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 11:47:36 AM
I hope I wasn't too off-putting and offensive with my words, SharpCdn, it was never my intention  :ahhh. Everyone is welcome here at  :MTO:

What I intended to say is that whenever a new person comes here I like to know a bit about them and what do they like  :tu: or how did they end up here, and they're often encouraged to present themselves on their first posts

:salute:

It's a bummer that non-Canadians cannot sign (maybe it's logical and to be expected but still bugs me  :P) and I tried to open the link in the other forums as well but they all told me the same, I cannot sign unless I'm a Canadian citizen.
I guess the only possible aid I can give now to this cause is spread the word, as you've honorably chosen to do yourself.
The more people, the more power!   :cheers:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 01:05:46 PM
Just signed :tu:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #13 on: March 09, 2018, 02:18:07 PM
How Canadian do you have to be?

I bought a bottle of maple syrup once .....

I was thinking the same.

:cheers:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: March 09, 2018, 02:32:01 PM
My toys:

Offline SharpCdn

• New User
Reply #15 on: March 11, 2018, 10:02:33 PM
So not only is there a government petition, but a fundraiser for a legal challenge as well.

A GoFundMe contribution for the amount of a cheap folder would be pretty easy for most people and could make a huge difference to what Canadians will be allowed to own and buy in the future...sounds like a good investment.

Thanks to everyone who is contributing to this challenge in any way - signing the e-petition, spreading the word and/or contributing!

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: March 17, 2018, 03:15:00 PM
Would something like a Vic OH Soldier or a Leatherman Crater fall victim to this ban?
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: March 17, 2018, 06:53:02 PM
Yup. Both of them potentially fail.

Def

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #18 on: March 23, 2018, 08:13:43 PM
Just signed the petition.

John.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41