Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Let's go blade-less!! No blade mod ideas.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Let's go blade-less!! No blade mod ideas.
on: March 08, 2018, 05:13:23 PM
Not everyone are fortunate enough to live in a country where there are very relaxed knife laws. Well, I am one of the unfortunate ones.

Hope to keep this thread going with never ending ideas of bladeless mods.

I will start off.

Gerber Multiplier 400/600 series.

Great platform to work on!

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Re: Let's go blade-less!! No blade mod ideas.
Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 05:23:18 PM
I did this one today.. If SAK's counts as multitool in this thread?

I have to break it in and change the scales.

This is a out and barbecue and drinking in public sak.. Something to open beverage and food pagages

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 05:30:07 PM
Great thread Sam :like:

I :like: the Gerbers and the SAK :tu:

I always have a folder so a MT or SAK without a blade would appeal to me I think or not ??? I will have to mod something and see how it suits me :think: :tu:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 05:34:26 PM
Here is my blade-less LM Crunch
Replaced the blade for a pair of scissors from a LM Wave
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 169.01 KB)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 155.96 KB)
fail to prepare prepare to fail

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 05:36:10 PM

This is a out and barbecue and drinking in public sak.. Something to open beverage and food pagages(Image removed from quote.)

IMO of course it does! No rules says MT have to be pliers based.  :like:

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 05:37:20 PM

This is a out and barbecue and drinking in public sak.. Something to open beverage and food pagages(Image removed from quote.)

IMO of course it does! No rules says MT have to be pliers based.  :like:
My thoughts too! Multiple tools = multitool

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 05:38:18 PM
Great thread Sam :like:

I :like: the Gerbers and the SAK :tu:

I always have a folder so a MT or SAK without a blade would appeal to me I think or not ??? I will have to mod something and see how it suits me :think: :tu:

I turn into a green eye monster when I sees everyone carries large blades...  :ahhh

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 05:48:07 PM

Nice!  :like:

Here’s my Mini Pabsman:

Which I carry with my modded Alox:

And Rambler for my knife needs.
Together they make a great combo.  :cheers:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 06:37:23 PM

Nice!  :like:

Here’s my Mini Pabsman:
(Image removed from quote.)
Which I carry with my modded Alox:

And Rambler for my knife needs.
Together they make a great combo.  :cheers:
Nice!

And as I wrote in the sak mods thread it it thanks to your tip about the springs that made this possible!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 07:54:16 PM
Great idea Sam!

Just the two MP400's for me. Coupled with a SAK they cover all the bases I need covering.
20180308_151539.jpg
* 20180308_151539.jpg (Filesize: 330.38 KB)
20180223_102133.jpg
* 20180223_102133.jpg (Filesize: 239.35 KB)
WP_20171005_009.jpg
* WP_20171005_009.jpg (Filesize: 302.96 KB)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 08:00:42 PM by magentus »
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 01:32:41 AM
I've currently got seven knifeless mods ...

Turbo-Diesel
Fuse-ilier
Knifeless Wave
Switchplier
Octane
MP426
MP6000

I also used to have a Kick and Rebar which were converted to knifeless, but those got sold, and my knifeless Paladin PT-510 (SOG PPP variant) got stolen several years ago.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 01:51:04 AM
The Switchplier, like many of the original SOG tools, was intended with customisation in mind. Personally, I think this is the optimal configuration of the tool, for the reasons I'll explain as we go.

Apologies for the white balance on all these pics, it appears the camera was confused by the background, and I haven't got the patience to go through trying to correct them all.

The loadout on this one is quite simple. Scissors, bit driver stump, caplifter, and file.

The scissors are a very odd tool in the SOG line up, because they are the wrong way up - they are an externally mounted orientation for internally mounted tools. If you look at the "lid" on the switchplier, and imaging that was another arm of a standard butterfly tool, you'll understand better what I mean. The opposing pliers handle is in the way of operating the scissors - but not on the Switchplier. This is the only tool that the SOG scissors work well on.

The bit driver works exceptionally well on this tool too. Just look at the alignment, and tell me which is more central - this, or Gerber's supposed Centre Drive

The other great things about this configuration, is that is a full 1/4" bit driver, compatible with all your standard bits. The only other driver on the tool is the cap lifter which can function as a light pry tool. Also, the handle is more screwdriver shaped than any other handle on a pliers based tool that I an think of. The final benefit from having the bit driver element in there, isn't obvious unless you are familiar with the standard layout of the tool. On the "as supplied" set up, the bit driver is SOG's regular #1 Phillips, which has a slightly unintended disadvantage - because it's longer.

The bit driver stump actually passes the plier tips, and so you just need to flip the lid, and lift out the tool. On the standard config, the plier tips actually get in the way of deploying the Phillips, and you have to actually deploy the pliers to get the screwdriver out and put it away again. A slight oversight on the drawing board, I think.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 02:01:44 AM

The knifeless Octane (or should I call it Septane now - as there's 7 functions instead of 8 ) gets a fair bit of carry here. It's also a very easy mod to do.

You don't have to take the whole damn thing apart, just remove the separate pivot screw for the blade, slide the blades and washers out, unhook the blade guard and liner lock piece, and snap off the wee tab that the blade opens up against. Done! No reassembly required. I did however go a step further, and switch out the horrendously badly formed Phillips head for a proper 3D one off a MP700. The lock up isn't perfect, as the tangs are slightly bigger on the Octane, which leaves a little wiggle in the 700's driver, but the much better fitting Phillips more than makes up for it.

It's a damn good lightweight companion to a Swiss knife that hasn't got an inline Phillips. It rides deep in the pocket, has an excellent bottle opener which is ready to go without any rooting around looking for it, and the package opener is quite useful too - however, I must get around to sharpening mine up a bit ...

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 09, 2018, 02:03:52 AM
The Switchplier, like many of the original SOG tools, was intended with customisation in mind. Personally, I think this is the optimal configuration of the tool, for the reasons I'll explain as we go.

Apologies for the white balance on all these pics, it appears the camera was confused by the background, and I haven't got the patience to go through trying to correct them all.

The loadout on this one is quite simple. Scissors, bit driver stump, caplifter, and file.

The scissors are a very odd tool in the SOG line up, because they are the wrong way up - they are an externally mounted orientation for internally mounted tools. If you look at the "lid" on the switchplier, and imaging that was another arm of a standard butterfly tool, you'll understand better what I mean. The opposing pliers handle is in the way of operating the scissors - but not on the Switchplier. This is the only tool that the SOG scissors work well on.

The bit driver works exceptionally well on this tool too. Just look at the alignment, and tell me which is more central - this, or Gerber's supposed Centre Drive

The other great things about this configuration, is that is a full 1/4" bit driver, compatible with all your standard bits. The only other driver on the tool is the cap lifter which can function as a light pry tool. Also, the handle is more screwdriver shaped than any other handle on a pliers based tool that I an think of. The final benefit from having the bit driver element in there, isn't obvious unless you are familiar with the standard layout of the tool. On the "as supplied" set up, the bit driver is SOG's regular #1 Phillips, which has a slightly unintended disadvantage - because it's longer.

The bit driver stump actually passes the plier tips, and so you just need to flip the lid, and lift out the tool. On the standard config, the plier tips actually get in the way of deploying the Phillips, and you have to actually deploy the pliers to get the screwdriver out and put it away again. A slight oversight on the drawing board, I think.

Love what you did here boss! Keep them coming!  :like:

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #14 on: March 09, 2018, 02:06:49 AM
I've got a couple of PSTs I rescued from the TSA. One of these days, and I've been threatening to do this forever, I'm going to order a SOG saw because it's supposed to be almost a drop in mod to replace the blade. Fit it, close it up, and you've got the perfect compact multitool IMO, and made to be partnered with a Vic Compact or Climber.

Of course, if LM ever makes a blade less, slimmer version of the Rebar I can be a good consumer and just buy it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 02:09:46 AM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: March 09, 2018, 02:12:21 AM
I don't think the Diesel gets the full attention that it deserves.

It is a very capable tool, with excellent ergonomics, good cutters for electrical jobs, unimpeded gripping area, and a very healthy array of tools. Obviously, I wanted to put my own stamp on it with the TurboDiesel, and removed both the knife and lanyard ring, to make room for the blade adaptor with the Remgrit saw. I decided to keep the can opener on this tool, instead of discarding it to make froom for a full 3D Phillips, for two reasons. Firstly, I carry this tool with the bit adapter set, which means I can use full 1/4" bits off the flast Phillips, and secondly, even though I would never use a BO tool for opening cans (I don't want bits of the BO coating getting in the food) this profile of can opener, actually makes for a half decent awl.

One great thing about the Diesel, is that unlike the MP600, it actually comes with a woodsaw. I really don't understand why none of the MP600s come with a decent woodsaw .... or if they do, I've not seen it.

However, just because they didn't doesn't mean that I can't  ....
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 02:34:29 AM by 50ft-trad »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: March 09, 2018, 02:22:49 AM
The MP6000 is named because in my opinion, it's 10x better than a standard MP600. This thing is both beauty AND beast.

First of all it has blunt nose pliers, but more specifically, blunt nosed pliers WITHOUT the evaporating carbide cutters. Proper, solid, integral cutter that don't disintegrate and get embedded in your cornea when you try to do any work with them

Then as we move on to the loadout, we have a proper little awl with sewing eye, and both Fiskars scissors, and Simmonds diamond file. On top of that the knives have gone and made way for the superb can opener from the Gerber Strata - probably one of the best designed can openers in the multitool world, as it properly latches under the lip of the rim (to see that in closer detail, head to the main page and check out my review of the Bear Grylls Survival Pack, and there's some good close up shots there). The other knife being removed made way for the saw AND because the saw is somewhat thinner than a standard MP600 tool, it also left room for the tweezers from a MP700. Bonus!

I'm proud of this one! Yes, there are two bottle openers on it, but that doesn't really detract from anything as both components have other functions too.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 02:52:26 AM by 50ft-trad »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: March 09, 2018, 02:31:32 AM
DAMN WHITE BALANCE!!!! :rant: :rant: :rant: :twak:

The best looking of the bunch, is certainly the Fuse-ilier. Unfortunately my pictures here don't show it off in it's true beauty, and just make it look a bit jaundiced. The pic with the two other tools is probably the truest colour, but even that doens't quite capture it.

The toolset is a few steps up from the standard loadout that came on the "factory" version of the Knifeless Fuse. It keeps the Phillips and ONE of the flat drivers, with the other two being replaced by the precision driver and an awl that I commissioned from Eric (Metropolicity) who milled one for me from a Rebar driver. The knife gives way to the file, and the can opener's eviction creates space for a saw. I also carry this tool with the bit adapter that goes on the Phillips, so just having the two drivers is in no way limiting. I have a Phillips which can be adapted to use bits, and a fixed flat that I can do light prying with.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 02:36:23 AM by 50ft-trad »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: March 09, 2018, 02:39:39 AM
The MP426 is so named, because Kirky beat me to it. We pretty much had the same idea at the same time, but he got there first with replacing the knife on a MP400 with the file from A MP450, and called it the MP425. My layou is essentially the same, except it adds the corkscrew.

MP425 + 1 = MP426

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: March 09, 2018, 02:45:34 AM
This Knifeless Wave still needs a little refining. As you might be able to tell, it doesn't quite close fully.

The reason for that is all the innards have been reconfigured with proper drivers, and a hand ground awl, These still need a little bit of tweaking to get the tool to fully close.

As for the outside, well of course the knives have gone (or else I wouldn't have posted in in this thread), but you may also have noticed the scissors have gone from the inside too. Outside, we keep the excellent saw and diamond file, and also have some slightly modified scissors from a Wingman, and a proper pry tool with rule and nail notch.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: March 09, 2018, 02:53:37 AM

Thanks Sam.  :salute:

All done  :tu:

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: March 09, 2018, 03:02:51 AM
I'd like to mod my wave to get rid of the non serrated blade on the outside, but don't really have a good idea of what could replace it? I've done the wingman scissors, but I'm not a big scissor guy anyway...

Anything else that would be awesome? I mean, the handle already has a ruler, there's already saw and file. I can't think of anything else cool or useful. Ideas?
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: March 09, 2018, 04:07:56 AM

Thanks Sam.  :salute:

All done  :tu:

All awesome mods and excellent detail write ups. I have to agree, the fuse-ilier looks really amazing! :cheers:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: March 09, 2018, 04:10:23 AM
I'd like to mod my wave to get rid of the non serrated blade on the outside, but don't really have a good idea of what could replace it? I've done the wingman scissors, but I'm not a big scissor guy anyway...

Anything else that would be awesome? I mean, the handle already has a ruler, there's already saw and file. I can't think of anything else cool or useful. Ideas?

A V-cutter or strap cutter of some sort?

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #24 on: March 09, 2018, 05:10:59 AM

Love that idea! Well done sir

Sent from my Whittling Cadet using Tapatalk

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: March 09, 2018, 05:58:19 AM
A lesser loved tool.

Added a permanent bit adaptor and metal file. Handle splay reduced. Original had a splay so wide that will make even a gorilla cry...

:cheers:

Keep them coming!

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #27 on: March 09, 2018, 06:10:23 AM
A lesser loved tool.

Added a permanent bit adaptor and metal file. Handle splay reduced. Original had a splay so wide that will make even a gorilla cry...

:cheers:

Keep them coming!

That Suspension looks a million times nicer with so little splay. Hats off to you.  :hatsoff:
Did you remove material from the plier stops or the plierhead?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 06:12:20 AM by ReamerPunch »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: March 09, 2018, 06:17:36 AM
That Suspension looks a million times nicer with so little splay. Hats off to you.  :hatsoff:

Agreed!  :tu:

... and how did you disable the spring in the plier head?

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: March 09, 2018, 06:50:36 AM
G'Day,

Blade less PST. SOG saw where the blade used to be.

Pete
Both_Sides_Open_Tools.JPG
* Both_Sides_Open_Tools.JPG (Filesize: 117.36 KB)
Finished_Closed.JPG
* Finished_Closed.JPG (Filesize: 117.89 KB)
Saw_And_Tools_Open.JPG
* Saw_And_Tools_Open.JPG (Filesize: 129.33 KB)
PST_Charge_Saw_Blades.JPG
* PST_Charge_Saw_Blades.JPG (Filesize: 115.7 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%