Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New US Multitool.

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
New US Multitool.
on: March 08, 2018, 09:40:00 PM
img_6541.jpg
* img_6541.jpg (Filesize: 229.1 KB)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 09:43:09 PM by gene stoner »
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Re: New US Multitool.
Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 09:48:38 PM
 :like:
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 09:50:12 PM
First, the 111mm Soldier knife, now this.

Very cool.  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 09:51:39 PM
Nice choice.  :tu:

Thanks, gene.

us Offline tango44

• VICTORINOX
Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 10:32:26 PM
Is it available to the public or just for the military?
How to buy one?
Thank you.
Enjoy!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 11:50:27 PM
Is it available to the public or just for the military?
How to buy one?
Thank you.

The tool itself just looks to be a Victorinox Swisstool BS. The belt pouch is just the Victorinox Nylon Belt Pouch, with the only difference being the 'U.S.' stamp. If you don't care about that stamp, just buy the items separately. If you DO want the stamp, the numbers listed are for military requisition. Not civilian purchase. You'll probably have to wait until someone sells their requisitioned gear on ebay, and... good luck with that. The prices will be crazy high on them for a while, and considering how good the tool is, I don't think many will come up for auction at all. At least not soon.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 12:10:46 AM
Nice bit of kit  :tu: :like: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline cody6268

Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 12:53:43 AM
Even though most of the "Demo" and many other issued knives have been available through requisition only, most of the makers of them (Ontario, Camillus, Colonial, and I want to say Queen) sold it in their catalog. I guess this is a completely different circumstance, as Vic wasn't approached directly by the US Armed Forces (as the rest of the military knives have been done for contracts directly with the militaries), but a contractor to make these knives.  I think the contractor should be offering these for sale to the general public, as I think they would have a  success on their hands.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 01:27:25 AM
Nice one, thanks for sharing that info Gene  :tu:

Thinking about it, I remember someone mentioning that the Swisstool and Spirit do have problems with stuck and/or very hard to deploy tools when exposed to sand. Because of the tight tolerances they're manufactured to  :think:

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 02:46:14 AM
That is a nice looking mt! :tu:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 03:35:13 AM
First, the 111mm Soldier knife, now this.

Very cool.  :tu:

For future reference, here's the article discussing the Defense Logistics Agency adding the Soldier to their order list. And in case the article goes away, the Soldier is now officially referenced as national stock number (NSN – 1095-01-653-1166).

https://www.knife-depot.com/blog/new-victorinox-knife-recommended-to-members-of-u-s-military/
Soldier.PNG
* Soldier.PNG (Filesize: 146.94 KB)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 03:40:33 AM by Lynn LeFey »

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 04:58:53 AM
 :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :like:

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 09:29:30 AM
Personally, I think it would be suicide to parachute into German occupied France without a corkscrew.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #14 on: March 09, 2018, 02:29:23 PM
Cool 😎

You can buy the US knife on ebay, see https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,76108.0.html

So probably won’t be long for the Swisstool  :tu:

« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 02:30:57 PM by Guardian »
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: March 09, 2018, 02:35:39 PM
Personally, I think it would be suicide to parachute into German occupied France without a corkscrew.

:rofl:

us Offline tango44

• VICTORINOX
Reply #16 on: March 14, 2018, 06:13:47 PM
So no civilians sales???
Or yes????
Enjoy!

us Offline tango44

• VICTORINOX
Reply #17 on: April 02, 2018, 03:53:08 PM
So last week I got my military swisstool, but I'm kind of disappointed...
Few questions for the swiss experts:
1- Why does the black oxide finish has stains on it?
2- Why they don´t use black rivets on both sides of the tool?
3- What are those circles marks on the rivet area?
4- The large flat screw driver has so much play?
Is this normal?
Here are a few pics...
Let me know what you think.
Thank you.

IMG_1535.jpg
* IMG_1535.jpg (Filesize: 98.96 KB)
IMG_1536.jpg
* IMG_1536.jpg (Filesize: 84.06 KB)
Enjoy!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #18 on: April 02, 2018, 04:12:09 PM
The only thing that I would be worried about from that list is the screwdriver having play in it.  :think: :ahhh
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline tango44

• VICTORINOX
Reply #19 on: April 02, 2018, 04:17:18 PM
Will try to make a video, too much play is not normal...
Enjoy!

ua Offline LeaF

Reply #20 on: April 02, 2018, 04:35:48 PM
The same issues with color / rivets with all my Victorinox BO MT. They're ugly..
Seems, I already wrote about this fact here, in MTO and got an answer that's a regular practice for BO tools from Victorinox.
D - Dissapointment..

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: April 02, 2018, 05:22:12 PM
Pay close attention! There will be a test!
  • Anyone can get a CAGE Code (CAGE = Commercial and Government Entity; required for DoD suppliers). Simply apply for it; normal process is about 45 days.
  • Anyone can get a NSN issued for something they'd like to sell to the US Government and Armed Forces. Only requires asking one of the several gov't agencies that sponsors assigning a NSN to something to do it.
  • It does not mean there's any contract from the US Government to buy any or that any US Government agency plans to buy any.
  • DLA (Defense Logistics Agency) does this routinely for contractors that request it.
  • Contractors hoping to sell something to Uncle Sam frequently do this and then try to drum up business, almost like door-to-door salesmen.
This has all the trappings of the marketing ploy for the US Soldier Knife, a Trekker in U.S. stamped scales. The dudes hawking them showed up at (IIRC) an AUSA convention (Ass'n of the US Army), which isn't a US Government organization or an official military event, but a private convention held by a private organization, the AUSA. They came with a pile of them to sell to anyone who was there that wanted one. They also touted them to the Special Forces Association (another private organization) and offered them for sale to them, but you had to prove you were a member of SFA to buy one. Their marketing strategy was interesting. Seed a few hundred of them into the US Army's officer and senior NCO ranks like planting a crop. Wait for them to return to their units with them hoping most everyone who sees it will want one of their own and create a grassroots demand for them. Caused a huge stir here and on other knife and military forums with rabid speculation that Uncle Sam was suddenly buying gazillions of them for every US Soldier, Sailor, Airman and Marine. Uncle Sam hasn't issued or supplied a single one of them to any member of the US Armed Forces. The eBay auction in Switzerland is, no doubt, a left over vestige of this attempt by a small group of several guys to sell them to Uncle Sam.

This is the same kind of deal. The same company is attempting to sell a Swiss Tool to Uncle Sam as a pass through that has minimal processing done to give it US Government and Armed Forces livery markings.

Just because there's a CAGE Code and NSN does not mean Uncle Sam has bought a single one of them or has any plans to. Items like this typically go through evaluation and testing at the US Army's Natick Soldier System Center (aka Natick Labs) in Natick, Massachusetts. It's the engineering and development center for soldiers' personal clothing and equipment. Even though it's operated by the US Army, the USAF and USMC often coattail on their engineering and development, especially the USAF. Uncle Sam doesn't buy this kind of stuff at the drop of a hat. The enormous clue about what's going on with this is the name of the company and the email address for the dudes hawking them. Same as the alleged US Army Soldier Knife:

Windrose Group, LLC
xxxxxxx@gmail.com

What company of any size with any revenue uses a "gmail" email address for company email? They can't even get their own domain name from GoDaddy and use it as an alias?

John
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 05:36:59 PM by jalind »
John

us Offline tango44

• VICTORINOX
Reply #22 on: April 02, 2018, 05:33:36 PM
Good to know, I tough that the gov had a contract with them.
But I wanted a black swisstool any way!
Thank you.
Enjoy!

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: April 02, 2018, 06:08:57 PM
Good to know, I tough that the gov had a contract with them.
But I wanted a black swisstool any way!
Thank you.

If a blackout Swiss Tool floats your boat, go for it and get a Swiss Tool BS! Don't get hopes up on getting one marked US with a NSN from Windrose LLC though as I seriously doubt they've got many on hand. It happened with the knife. They wouldn't sell to private parties who wanted to buy one after dumping a pile out to AUSA and SFA as they weren't in any level of actual production and weren't geared or staffed to make private sales of one, two or a few, like a retailer. They needed Uncle Sam to buy a pile of them to put them into production and that never happened.

Soldier Systems is a daily industry rag, or more correctly an "ezine" primarily for companies who are selling and especially for those trying to sell tactical stuff to DoD. You can see the latest in "tacticool" on their web site, but don't jump to any conclusions that everything you see there is being sold to Uncle Sam. Much of it isn't. US companies collectively expend enormous resources marketing stuff to DoD. The big government contractors like Boeing, Lockheed Martin, General Dynamics, Raytheon, Northrup Grumman, etc., spend many millions on it annually. (Notes about former big names: McDonnell Douglas was bought by Boeing 20 years ago, most of Hughes Aircraft was bought by Raytheon about the same time, and TRW was bought by Northrup Grumman 15 years ago).

I should clarify that the USMC also has its own facility on Parris Island to test, evaluate and develop things for Marines that are unique to their maritime and seaborne missions, which aren't the same as a land based army. Many things coattail on Natick such as the Kevlar helmet, ballistic vests and similar items, but other things come out of Parris for them, often incorporating work Natick has already done, such as their own OKC-3S bayonet in lieu of the US Army's M9 (they replaced the M7 with it 15 years after the US Army did with the M9).

John
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 06:23:19 PM by jalind »
John

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: April 02, 2018, 06:33:59 PM
Got curious about Windrose Group, LLC that's marketing these Swiss Tool BS and was marketing the Trekker. This is what I found with Google in about 30 seconds . . .

[Cue scene from Wizard of Oz when Toto pulls back the curtain.]

https://www.manta.com/c/m...r1/the-windrose-group-llc

Edit:
Same information as found above is also here:
http://www.buzzfile.com/business/The-Windrose-Group-LLC-570-974-6089

Jerald J. Rinder is President of Windrose Group, a privately held company (no surprise for a LLC) founded in 2016, two years ago. Odd that it's called a "group" as Manta and Buzzfile estimates their annual revenue at $56k per year employing a staff of approximately one employee.

John
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 06:43:08 PM by jalind »
John

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: April 08, 2018, 05:04:47 AM
eBay listing.  $275 for a Soldier:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/...d49f66:g:J4QAAOSwAQBas9c8

Yup - the Trekker created by the Windrose Group LLC that the US Government never bought a single one of. There's a number of them in the wild as the Windrose Group LLC (a one person company operating out of his home) took a case of them to the AUSA annual convention and offered them up for those that wanted to buy one. AUSA is a private organization and it was a private convention for AUSA members. Please do not be deceived that these were purchased or issued by the US Government to anyone. Uncle Sam did not buy a single one of them. There's another dude in Switzerland that has one on ePrey as well.

John
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 05:06:24 AM by jalind »
John

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: April 08, 2018, 05:07:16 AM
Looks like there is a NSN# for them.....

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: April 08, 2018, 05:14:14 AM
Looks like there is a NSN# for them.....

(Image removed from quote.)
That was posted before from the same article. A NSN means absolutely nothing. I could create John's Combat Framus, make a few for catalog photo shooting, get a CAGE Code for John's Framus Company and then get a NSN assigned to it. More crap has NSNs that the US Government has never sought (with a RFP or RFQ), asked for, contracted for, or bought, all done by big dreamers hoping to make a killing in the GSA Lottery trying to sell bazillions of something to Uncle Sam. If you had access to the NSN database, you'd be astounded at the stuff in it that Uncle Sam has never bought, is not buying and never will buy. This is Jerry's second time around attempting to sell something to the US Government. Hope he doesn't quit his Day Job (I know where he works).

Edit:
The "US Soldier" he created from a Trekker two years ago also has a NSN.

John
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 05:21:10 AM by jalind »
John

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: April 08, 2018, 05:30:33 AM
Interesting.

I always thought that if something had an NSN it could be purchased by gov't agencies.

But I note that this particular item seems to always default to "Soldier Systems". Odd.

I haven't had any luck finding a database listing '1095-01-670-1865' as a viable NSN item.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%