Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Latest Solar Power Bank

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Latest Solar Power Bank
on: March 10, 2018, 12:59:06 AM
As you all know, I have been fascinated with the concept of portable power, having started many threads on it in the past.  This is the latest one.   :facepalm:

It's supposed to be rugged, dustproof, waterproof and charge from the light of the sun, and it gave me an excuse to bring along the Teeny Sling Bag of POWER on a short hike today.

Of course, the description on eBay listed it as waterproof, dustproof etc, but the instructions (or at least my interpretation of the translated babble that appears to be the instructions) claim that the unit cannot get wet and should be handled carefully because it is fragile.  Yay.

Other than connecting it to the Teeny Sling Bag of POWER for today's hike and then plopping it in the snow to take some pics and possibly ruin it, this bank has not seen any use just yet.  It did charge up (when connected to a USB port at home) without catching fire, so it has that much going for it.  I have an out of town job coming up, and I will give it more of an acid test then, both for charging devices and to see if it will charge itself in the sun.

After all, on a rugged, waterproof unit that isn't rugged or waterproof, what are the odds that the solar cells are just painted on?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Latest Solar Power Bank
Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 08:15:41 AM
Errrr... a solar panel that size is not very useful.  :-\
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 09:19:42 AM
Got one myself.
Mine works perfectly as a powerbank, but I think it needs 100 years in full daylight to charge my phone... a little.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 09:49:29 AM
 :rofl:

All hail the hook!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 12:14:53 PM
This was largely my thinking as well.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 02:56:57 PM
Yes, you need to have a surface area 10 times larger for them to be of any use.  I have 2 and they are fine as powerbanks. I also have a much bigger solar panel, which can be used for charging them and I also several powerbanks, but it is easier to charge them at home or in  the car.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 03:21:49 PM
Got one myself.
Mine works perfectly as a powerbank, but I think it needs 100 years in full daylight to charge my phone... a little.

more or less like mine   :facepalm:

« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 05:22:50 PM by ThePeacent »
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 07:19:40 PM
I wonder why no one has made a powerbank like this with a integrated folding panel, actually capable of charging the powerbank. :think:

I have a pretty good folding panel that can easily charge a good 9600 mAh  bank in a day during summer. In my limited experience, a good quality powerbank is also much better at charging from the folding solar panel. The cheap banks just wont charge 100% using the panel, but the good powerbanks will.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 08:07:22 PM
I wonder why no one has made a powerbank like this with a integrated folding panel, actually capable of charging the powerbank. :think:

I have a pretty good folding panel that can easily charge a good 9600 mAh  bank in a day during summer. In my limited experience, a good quality powerbank is also much better at charging from the folding solar panel. The cheap banks just wont charge 100% using the panel, but the good powerbanks will.
Maybe solar panels and power banks work better as separate units.  :think:

All hail the hook!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 05:03:56 PM
I've had a similar unit for a while.

First, it DOES charge in the sun. Slowly.
8 hours of good, direct sunlight gives about a quarter charge.
While that's not great, it's better than nothing.

Second, after having it for several years, with it residing in the emergency backpack in the back of my car (subject to a lot of swings from hot and cold), the battery pack is very slightly swollen. I don't think that bodes well for long-term lifespan.

Third, from full charge, it will recharge my phone at least twice when the phone is on the 20% power range at the beginning of the charge, and it charges my phone VERY quickly. I'm running an iPhone 5c, if that matters to anyone.

Mine also has an integrated LED light (probably about 3-5 lumens), that, with the power in this thing I assume would run for approximately forever.

I think mine cost in the $15 range. Right now, looks like it's going for $24 on Amazon. This link has a different company name, but looks identical...
https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Portable-Waterproof-Shockproof-Dustproof/dp/B00YOP7LV8/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1521820920&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=solar+power+bank&psc=1
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 05:05:32 PM by Lynn LeFey »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 01:37:45 AM
Yeah there is an LED light on this one as well. I doubt I will ever use it for much but I wonder if I had two of them, could I use one to charge the other by shining the LED on the other's panel?   :whistle:

Def

no Offline Grathr

Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 06:27:31 AM
Yeah there is an LED light on this one as well. I doubt I will ever use it for much but I wonder if I had two of them, could I use one to charge the other by shining the LED on the other's panel?   :whistle:

Def

:rofl:

What if you connected the other to charge the first one. Then you would get twice as much solar power. Maybe you could get it close to half charged?  :think:   :D
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 09:35:30 PM

Def

You have just uncovered one of the perpetual energy machines that have been squashed by the Illuminati. Expect a knock on your door any minute...  :rofl:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 09:52:28 PM
The problem with ALL perpetual energy machines is that they always suffer from a loss of energy that is converted into something undesired.

Causing it NOT to stay perpetual :pok:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 11:40:37 PM
The problem with ALL perpetual energy machines is that they always suffer from a loss of energy that is converted into something undesired.

Causing it NOT to stay perpetual :pok:
I thought that was common sense.  :D
2nd law of Thermodynamics and all that...

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: April 21, 2018, 07:35:14 AM
Common sense?

Please, it's 2018!
There is no such thing as common sense left.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: April 21, 2018, 11:27:47 AM
 :facepalm: :oops:

All hail the hook!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #17 on: April 21, 2018, 12:13:39 PM
Common sense?

Please, it's 2018!

much less on the Interwebz   :ahhh

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: April 21, 2018, 12:17:50 PM
Common sense?

Please, it's 2018!

+1000

:D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24