Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How powerful are the pliers?

Offline aikon2014

How powerful are the pliers?
on: March 10, 2018, 10:31:15 PM
How powerful are the pliers on a SAK? I just got a Deluxe tinker and I love it! I'm thinking about getting a handyman as well as it has the file which can be useful since I'm a nailbiter and I am trying to teach myself to file away small nicks in my nails instead of biting them which often lead to more biting and bleeding eventually and pain  :D

Anyway, how much stress do you dare to put on the pliers? They feel robust, but they are small to fit in the chassi so to speak :)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: How powerful are the pliers?
Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 10:39:38 PM
They are often described as über (or super) tweezers. Able to pull out huge splinters, very nice size for computer work, that sort of thing.

As far as I know, their maximum force is more than you can press with your bare thumb, if your thumb is of average strength. :think:
Maybe someone will correct me.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 10:43:10 PM
If you only use your hands and don't try any kind of additional mechanical advantage on them, then you will hurt your hand before the pliers break.
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 10:43:53 PM
If you need to free a 1/2 inch bolt that has rusted into place... don't use the Vic pliers!
If you need to tighten a dripping faucet... don't use the Vic pliers!
If you need to cut a nail in half - don't use the Vic pliers!
If you need to heat something over a candle, bend a thin piece of metal with more precision than you could do with fingers alone, pull out a cactus thorn, extract something from a tight space which no other pliers will reach - the Vic pliers are a good choice.

They're not meant to replace a real pair of pliers. They're really just a precision pressure tool.

Offline aikon2014

Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 10:51:14 PM
So I can see them more as a extra pair of fingers?  :)

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 10:51:57 PM

Pretty much  :tu:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 10:54:13 PM
Terminator fingers

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 11:08:42 PM
Terminator fingers
du-du du du-dum! du-du du du-dum! du-du du du-DUM!  >:D

(Did I get it right?)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 11:14:59 PM

Yeah, fingers with finer points than your actual fingers, and grip force better than your actual fingers can generate.

Pabs mentioned computer work, and these things are just amazing for pulling jumpers and board components. Assuming you've drained all the capacitance from the pieces or you wear insulated gloves. Actually, that kind of fine manipulation is a real strength of this size plier.

Otherwise, I prefer any other plier, like Leatherman Squirt, or IDL T5 or T10.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 11:19:44 PM

Yeah, fingers with finer points than your actual fingers, and grip force better than your actual fingers can generate.

Pabs mentioned computer work, and these things are just amazing for pulling jumpers and board components. Assuming you've drained all the capacitance from the pieces or you wear insulated gloves. Actually, that kind of fine manipulation is a real strength of this size plier.

Otherwise, I prefer any other plier, like Leatherman Squirt, or IDL T5 or T10.

I'm sure I read somewhere years ago that this is what the pliers were designed to do, hence the cybertool. I could be wrong though :think:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 02:03:44 AM
I'm sure I read somewhere years ago that this is what the pliers were designed to do, hence the cybertool. I could be wrong though :think:

Looks like the pliers were introduced in 1986, and I'd have to say that I REALLY doubt Victorinox thought home PC hardware work was the major intended application for adding an all new layer.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 02:14:09 AM

Looks like the pliers were introduced in 1986, and I'd have to say that I REALLY doubt Victorinox thought home PC hardware work was the major intended application for adding an all new layer.

Yeah I read that while I was trying to find what I thought I'd read before, they did still work on jumpers though (not that anything has them any more).

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 11, 2018, 02:17:01 AM
Macgyver was cutting chain link fencing with them last night!
- Steve

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #13 on: March 11, 2018, 05:48:55 AM
How powerful are the pliers on a SAK? I just got a Deluxe tinker and I love it! I'm thinking about getting a handyman as well as it has the file which can be useful since I'm a nailbiter and I am trying to teach myself to file away small nicks in my nails instead of biting them which often lead to more biting and bleeding eventually and pain  :D

Anyway, how much stress do you dare to put on the pliers? They feel robust, but they are small to fit in the chassi so to speak :)

I was a nail-biter for many years. The solution to my addiction was toothpicks. I had a toothpick to play with and keep my mouth occupied. It took just a couple of weeks to stop biting my nails.
Maybe you could use the SAK toothpick?  :think:

I normally edc a Deluxe Tinker. The pliers are great. They're really robust and the tolerance is exceptional. Granted, you can't get much leverage with them, but it's enough for small things. Umbrellas, pens, knots, splinters, snap-off box cutter blades, that sort of thing.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: March 11, 2018, 07:42:18 AM

Got a Deluxe Tinker as a gift about 5 years ago and was perplexed by two things. One was the parcel hook (that's a whole nother bag of hammers) and the other was the plyers. I'd only ever carried the Super Tinker before that, and thought the players were a thick layer. While nice to have in a pinch, I've become accustomed to carrying a Leatherman daily, so that renders the Tinker Deluxe plyers moot.

Compared even to the Leathean PS4, I'm not sure the Vic ones would hold up as well or give as much leverage. Still very good for lighter work.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%