Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Maxpedition Entity Bag

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Maxpedition Entity Bag
on: March 11, 2018, 02:18:39 PM
Two months ago I shared a bit from a press release on the new Maxpedition Entity Series bags, and now, thanks to the fine folks at Maxpedition, I am the proud owner of the Entity 27 backpack, the small sheath and a utility pouch.  It's always fun to get an advance product and be one of the first people to review it.  If you still aren't familiar with the Entity series, you can see all about it here:  https://www.maxpedition.com/collections/spring-2018-launch

In short, they are a new line of what Maxpedition is calling Non Tactical/Tactical (or NTT for short- get it? NTT= En Ti Ty) series products which includes bags, sheaths and accessories.  At this point I really have to issue a formal apology to Maxpedition, as, looking at the pictures, I thought these were hideous.  And, further, I thought they were silly, with the guy in the video walking around in a tactical hat and skintight tactical turtleneck (the "tactile-neck" for you Archer fans)- I mean how low key can you be when you are dressed like a modern urban ninja?

But still I was more than happy to check them out- I have been wrong before, and I'm not bothered by it.  Let's face it, I was really quite curious more than anything else so I selected the Entity 27 backpack, the Utility Panel and the small pouch.  More on the sheath and panel later, for right now I'd like to talk about the Entity 27, the largest backpack in the series.

I needed a bigger backpack which is why I went with this one.  And this is why I owe Maxpedition an apology- it is actually perhaps the nicest backpack I have ever seen, and most certainly the nicest one I have ever owned.  In addition to my apology, I would like to suggest that the design team that worked on this series be given a raise, and the marketing team gets a slap.  Yeah, I know the tactical crap sells stuff, but it also turns a lot of people off, many of us included.

Rather than thinking "urban grey man or tactical operator with a cleverly disguised urban response equipment cargo device" try thinking of them as "a normal, stylish every day backpack that has many of the benefits we have come to enjoy from tactical type bags, but in a less eye rolling package."  If you ignore the marketing and think of the bag like that, you really do start to see the attractiveness of it.  I think the most striking bit for me was that it has MOLLE attachment points that don't look like MOLLE attachment points.

The well padded straps each have a couple of MOLLE type horizontal straps across them, right above the adjustable sternum strap, but you really don't see them.  They look like a stylistic thing if you even see them at all- and when you attach something that doesn't look tactical (like, coincidentally the Entity sheath) it still doesn't look ninja-ish or out of place.  Plus it is comfortable.  I really don't feel like I would be uncomfortable with it on for a lengthy period of time, even with a fair bit of weight in it.

There are a number of other features about it as well that I really like.  What's more, there are a few I don't like, but Maxpedition has forseen this and gave the user ways to ignore the things they don't like.  For example, there's these little magnetic tabs on the outside of the bag that keep the zippers from going down too far when you don't want them to.  I find they just get in the way, so Maxpedition included a small pocket underneath them to tuck the magnetic tabs into so you can get rid of them any time you like, and instantly have them back if you change your mind.

They did the same thing with the drawbridge straps on the inside.  As the whole back of the pack zips down to open the whole compartment they thoughtfully included these straps to keep it all together so all of your stuff doesn't spill out when you open it.  If they are annoying you or getting in the way, simply tuck them into a pocket and you don't have to worry about them anymore!  Plus, if you don't need these teeny pockets because you are using the magnets as intended, then you have an excellent couple of pockets for microfilms or that last ditch bullet that all true operators carry.   ::)

And, if you do use them, they are remarkably easy to undo or do back up, using a small spring clip.  I'll post a video later on showing just how easy these are to use, because it's difficult to describe just how cool they are without seeing it.

Inside the clam shell compartment there are a variety of smaller zippered pouches on the back and side that don't really encroach into the main compartment very much, leaving the majority of the space for whatever you like.  There's also a Velcro (I know, it's hook and loop, not brand name Velcro) patch on the inside of the outer panel for attaching any of the Velcro backed bits and pieces, like the Utility Panel I got.  Between the six built in pockets (two zippered, one open on the back, one zippered pocket above the Velcro and one open pocket on either side), plus the ability to attach more specialized panels, organization in this pack shouldn't be an issue. 

There are also wing pockets on either side, complete with zippered and open pockets for all manner of things, like "writing device, ink" and "pointing device, laser" and each wing pocket also has an unzippered outside pocket for things that need to be accessed quickly and easily, like bus passes, airline tickets etc.  While looking at the wing pockets I discovered something that I think I like enough that I want to petition congress to pass a law to include on every backpack from now on- the side handle. 

There are handles on either side- they are thin and reinforced, so you probably wouldn't want to carry the pack all the time by them while your collection of bowling balls is inside, but they sure make handling the bag easier when it's not on your back.  There's a third strap of the same type on the top of the bag too.  I really like the multiple grab options on this thing.

Next up is the large, padded laptop section.  This particular model is a bit overkill for me as it will hold a 17 inch laptop, and I am still in the dark ages with only a 15" laptop, like some kind of caveman or something.  What's nice to see is the padding is thick enough that I feel like I could fall over backwards (falling being one of my more popular hobbies) and not damage my laptop.  I won't actually be trying this, but it is worth mentioning.  If Rolls Royce made laptop bags, I get the feeling that this is the amount of padding they would use.

But, there's another pocket yet, tucked in between the mesh back panel and the laptop compartment that may or may not be useful for a lot of you- it zips open on either side to reveal what is intended to hold a holster for CCW.  There's a Velcro strip in the middle that will securely hold a Velcro sheath securely for either right or left hand draw, whichever you prefer, and it couldn't be easier to use.  Just open the pocket, pull apart the velcro, slide the sheath in and close the pocket again.  It will be locked in to the exact position you want, until you want to release it again.

I'm using a Softair pistol here because it's the only pistol I have with a sheath of this type, but there are lots of sheaths available, either from Maxpedition or from pretty well anyone else.  Lethality of the round aside, the bag doesn't know it's a fake pistol!

This pocket actually adds a fair bit of versatility for the folks that either choose another method to carry, or don't carry at all- without a holster in the middle you have a very versatile pocket.  You can use it as one big pocket, accessible from either side, or two separate pockets, separated by the Velcro in the middle, depending on your needs.  Since the pocket was designed as a safe CCW space, it is reasonably secure, so this could be a good pocket for a passport or wallet- it is easily accessible, but not likely something a pickpocket is going to get at.

My only issue with it as a CCW pocket is that it is zippered, and I think I would rather have a Velcro patch or more magnets closing it, so that it would be a lot easier to access the pistol.  During repeated attempts to unzip it, I found it rather awkward to do it without having to adjust the location of the bag significantly.  If there was a moment when one would need to draw, one would probably want that operation to be much smoother than having to open the zipper a bit, shift the bag to open the zipper more, reach for the gun, have it hang up a bit on the zipper that isn't open all the way etc.  With magnets or Velcro you could just force your hand in the gap, grab the pistol and draw.  But, I suppose it is just as easy to leave that panel unzipped when it is occupied.

The Entity 27 has a lot of really great, well thought out features, but I think what really gets to me most are the details, like the tuck away stuff that really sets this bag apart.  I know in the past I have been a bit harsh on Maxpedition because of their knotted paracord zipper pulls, but apparently they listened because the Entity series has giant, oversized zipper pulls that are easy to use, even with gloves on, and the zippers on the clamshell compartment and laptop compartment are lockable so you can secure those areas if need be, such as during travel. 

Also for traveling, there is an opening next to the CCW pocket that you can feed over the extending handle of a rolling suitcase so you don't have to carry it through an airport or train station and there are lock tabs for the main and laptop compartments, so you can lock the zippers closed when traveling.  This is a totally separate pocket from the CCW pocket, even though they are similar size, shape and placement.

Plus the sternum and shoulder straps are adjustable, as is the waistband, and the wasitband can also be tucked inside small pockets when not needed, just like the magnetic wings and drawbridge straps.

It really does look like a normal, every day backpack.  I can't stress that enough, and while I thought it looked bulky and awkward in the pictures, maybe it was just the model in the tactile-neck it was on that made it look that way.  It's not often I say this, but it looks better on me than it does on the ripped ninja in the form fitting outfit.

I'm really impressed with this pack, and, being Maxpedition, the quality is extremely high.  I am looking forward to putting a few miles on the Entity 27 and the various attachments and I will update this thread as I do with any observations I have.  So far I have to say that I am really liking this one- a lot more than I figured I was going to!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jcs0001

Re: Maxpedition Entity Bag
Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 05:09:10 PM
Nice looking bag.  I've bought some of maxpedition's smaller items (wallet and fanny pack) but the least "ninja" looking colour was black.  I would have been far more impressed with the grey.

John.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 01:56:03 AM
Quick question- the wing pockets are where I like to stash my waterbottles. I carry two, 1 liter nalgenes. Think they'd fit?

I can't lie- that is the biggest reason my bags have PALS webbing on them. I don't mind it as much as other people do on the front, becuase I put shock cord in there and have it as a place to bungie down a thermal or weather layer. But water bottles on the sides where I can reach them even with the pack on... that is glorious to me.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 03:29:00 AM
Nice bag, still looks bulky, too big if you ask me..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 07:59:39 AM
Nice bag, still looks bulky, too big if you ask me..
JR

There are multiple sizes.  This is the biggest one so I'm sure there are more suitable sizes if you feel that way.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 08:03:44 AM
Quick question- the wing pockets are where I like to stash my waterbottles. I carry two, 1 liter nalgenes. Think they'd fit?

I can't lie- that is the biggest reason my bags have PALS webbing on them. I don't mind it as much as other people do on the front, becuase I put shock cord in there and have it as a place to bungie down a thermal or weather layer. But water bottles on the sides where I can reach them even with the pack on... that is glorious to me.

I'll try out my 1L Nalgene bottle and let you know. There are open, exterior pockets on either side that I believe should hold them.

Def

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 04:06:59 PM
Nice bag and good thorough review Boss  :salute:

I like the look of it, nothing wrong with a bit of grey - doesn't scream Mall Ninja, the very opposite in fact.

A lot of thought has gone into adding useful bits you don't see on other bags. Again, another plus point.

Looks comfy too, versatile.  :salute:  :like:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 04:11:47 PM
Looks like it pretty much has everything you could need covered, but I think adding some velcro for patches could improve it  :tu:
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 07:40:27 PM
I saw them a while back on their website (for pre-order) and I will have go admit I wasn't impressed but the pics you have of them look way better :o I really like grey and this ticks a lot of boxes for me In what I want in a backpack :like: :like: I may give them another look now with your pics in my head vs. Their website :salute: Great review Grant :tu: :like:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 09:12:44 PM
Thanks- they are available now actually.  I got the message from Maxpedition a day or two ago saying they were now in stock.

What really gets me is just how low key the sheath on the shoulder strap is- there's a Surge in that thing and it's barely noticeable.

Def

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 11:12:12 PM
Thanks for the review and the time it took to do it!

This pack actually seems to use ideas from a few other existing packs and oddly seems a combination of them all in one place?

Have you seen a Vertx Gamut in person or an Alpha One Niner Evade?

The Side Wings,fold away attachment points and interior of main compartment seem lifted straight from the Gamut with some slight differences and the rear CCW compartment are hauntingly from the Evade but also slightly enhanced too.

Looks interesting for sure.

The one thing that I need to know though is about the actual fabric material used for the bag?
All of my other Maxped. stuff uses fabric that feels like sandpaper pretty much,very rugged but stiff and abrasive in the end.
This looks like different fabric but of course I really can not tell having not touched one,what say you?

Thanks Again

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 02:13:26 AM
I can't tell you what the fabric is. It is a bit stiff though but doesn't seem too far off any normal gym bag or quality back pack I've seen. 

I'm not familiar with Gamut packs so i really can't comment on any similarities. What I can say is that I  really appreciate these details in this bag.

Def

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 10:35:34 PM
I can't tell you what the fabric is. It is a bit stiff though but doesn't seem too far off any normal gym bag or quality back pack I've seen. 

I'm not familiar with Gamut packs so i really can't comment on any similarities. What I can say is that I  really appreciate these details in this bag.

Def

I have to think you would know what I mean about the fabric if you have tried other Maxped. bags.

So hopefully this looks to have a new,kinder material which seems like a great thing to me!

Thanks again.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 11:24:47 AM
Nice write up Grant

I do really like the features and pocket tucks for features you don't want. More color choices will mske this more palatable to the average Joe.  Grey man doesn't mean wearing all grey.

But guys, seriously, only folks of a tactical mind could possibly think this does not look tactical. No, it doesn't look military,  but it still looks tactical.

For the love of God, give me some colors to choose from other than black, mostly black, light black, shiny black and grey.

You have to look like that college professor or construction worker, student, athlete, or professional. Dad or mom coming home from work.

If you really want to be grey man, get a Jansport or under armour and find a way to make it work for you. Or, if this were made in any real color, this could do

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: March 25, 2018, 02:30:51 PM
I see where you are coming from on color, and I agree- I would like to see more color options, however I have been noticing this winter that this mottled grey color is actually very trendy at the moment.  I have spotted a few people with brand new winter coats in almost this exact color and style, and so I think it was chosen for stylistic reasons rather than the "muted tactical" aspect of it.

I'm actually even more impressed with it now as a result of that tbh.  Who would have thought I'd ever wear anything fashionable?  :P

Def

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 25, 2018, 03:15:07 PM
Nice review!
I remember seeing the commercial video and laughing, but after reading your review and watching your youtube review of it, I cant help liking it.
It really looks like a well thought out design for a nice backpack. :tu:
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: March 25, 2018, 04:51:10 PM
Nice review!
I remember seeing the commercial video and laughing, but after reading your review and watching your youtube review of it, I cant help liking it.
It really looks like a well thought out design for a nice backpack. :tu:

I agree 100%.  I admit that I thought it was cheesy from the marketing as well.  I am sure that sells to a certain demographic, which admittedly probably makes up 98% of Maxpedition's customer base, but it just didn't do it for me.

I have always preferred military style bags because I like the well thought out features on them that regular backpacks don't have, for the same reason I always preferred military equipment when working on the ships- the versatility.  Military equipment didn't have to look sleek, so it has tie down points and things all over it.  This bag looks like a nice, normal, even stylish bag but has all of the various things I like, like the "Admin Section" for pens or other smaller things, the various compartments for organization and the hideaway straps and so on. 

And yes, at $210, this is not a cheap bag, but look and see what you get from Deuter or Osprey for $210.   :ahhh

About the only thing I see about this bag that I am not a fan of (and this is minor) is that the load bearing parts of the shoulder straps and the waist strap are made of seatbelt type webbing.  That makes it incredibly strong and lightweight, but it is also super slick and difficult to get a hold of.  That's not such a big deal on the shoulder straps, but when trying to play out or put away the waist strap it wants to go all over the place and slip out of your fingers.

A minor gripe, but there it is.  Otherwise, I like it a lot.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: April 29, 2019, 01:40:42 AM
Nice write up Grant

I do really like the features and pocket tucks for features you don't want. More color choices will mske this more palatable to the average Joe.  Grey man doesn't mean wearing all grey.

But guys, seriously, only folks of a tactical mind could possibly think this does not look tactical. No, it doesn't look military,  but it still looks tactical.

For the love of God, give me some colors to choose from other than black, mostly black, light black, shiny black and grey.

You have to look like that college professor or construction worker, student, athlete, or professional. Dad or mom coming home from work.

If you really want to be grey man, get a Jansport or under armour and find a way to make it work for you. Or, if this were made in any real color, this could do

Ask and ye shall receive.  Have you seen the new Prepared Citizen series packs?

https://www.maxpedition.com/pages/prepared-citizen-classic

Like the Entity Series, but one more step towards a "non tactical" type bag, and in different colors.  Even the traditional "tactical" colors (grey, olive and black) don't look tactical on this series.  They look just like the cheap backpacks you can buy at Wal Mart, only with Maxpedition level quality and features. 

Much like the Entity series though, if you watch the video, try and look past the urban mall ninja stuff!  :D

Def

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: April 29, 2019, 07:39:07 AM
Those back packs look like Jansport packs a little.  I admit tho I like the ballistic panel thing.
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: April 29, 2019, 12:46:41 PM
Yes, Jantsport is the name I was trying to think of, but was evading my brain!

What do you call a knockoff that is higher quality than the original?  :D

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%