Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Cleveland Kydex Co multitool carrier- review and analysis

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
So, first of, this is largely a teaser post. I'll explain in a bit.

I like kydex. I really do. Properly made, it is secure. It doesn't collapse on itself like nylon or leather can when the item carried is removed, so one handed replacement is a snap. It's water proof, absorbs nothing, doesn't care about the cold, and while it does have heat issues, so do I. After having killed several sheaths for my Rebar in under six months, I went looking for someone who makes a kydex carrier. I had the following requirements:
-Have a real website, don't be an ebay (or worse, facebook) only business.
-Have the ability to take Lift-the-dot straps for the carry method, because I just like them, or at least something I can hard mount a MALICE clip to.
-Have their own Rebar to model, so I don't have to send them mine.
-Accept returns, even if there is a small restocking fee.

So, I went hunting. And hunting. And hunting. I only found one- Cleveland Kydex.

They say it takes 5 business days to mold the sheath, at least they do in their FAQ. They also add their backlog time which they do have on the front page. I'm ok with this. Kydex is something I've tried working with and the failures will never be discussed. I get that this is custom order. Honestly, a lot of bigger kydex benders have a 6-12 month backlog. So, on 3Feb I ordered my sheath. Came to $43 and bit with shipping. At that time, they had an 8 day backlog. I can manage 13 business days.

The third was a Sunday- so, that Monday it went up to 9 days backlog. There was no notification, but a day isn't that big of a deal.

It was shipped on 1March. By that time, the backlog was up to 14 business days. So 19 business days, at least in my world where we don't get every federal holiday off. It shipped late based on the estimate at time of order, not that big of a deal, and USPS was held up by some storms. It gets to me the 5th.

The first thing I notice is, this might be the most beautifully finished bit of kydex I've held. And I have Bravo Concealment, my brother swears by Raven Concealment. You can't see the seam where the two pieces were polished after riveting. That is always a good thing. The fit and finish on this thing is amazing. Five stars for that.

The second thing I notice is, the belt loops (which are kydex) stick out almost an inch. OK, I had planned on swapping them out. They never even made it onto my belt, to be honest. With the soft loops, it rides very snug to the body under my belt, and could be worn IWB if you really felt the need. That being said, those loops are THICK kydex, more than a tenth of an inch. And they use 1/4" ID eyelets on the rivetting, so I can drop any fool thing I want on there. It is compatable with the Tek-lock spacing, so there are a lot options. The carry options get 4 out of 5. Despite being very nicely made and ridiculously overbuilt, the factory loops are clown shoes and I was pretty sure of that going in.

And it is molded very precisely, in very fine detail. This is a VERY secure sheath, I'll break my belt before the Rebar comes out accidentally. Without clear and deliberate intent, the tool isn't leaving that carrier. This is due to it locking up on the locking levers, flaring out at the bottom of the well.

As for the rest, you'll get the full review after I hear back from them about some concerns I've got with it. That is going to effect the final score. Because right now, retention is getting 6 out of 5 stars. I'll let people ponder that.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 02:29:45 AM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Cleveland Kydex Co multitool carrier- review and analysis
Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 08:52:06 AM

:popcorn:
Everything’s adjustable

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 01:39:00 PM
I love Kydex and if I had a reputable maker or craftsman near my place I'd order Kydex sheaths and holsters for most of my stuff  :salute:
I don't have the materials or tools to work with it but like everything about that material for heaths, same as Boltaron  :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 01:46:15 PM
As for the rest, you'll get the full review after I hear back from them about some concerns I've got with it. That is going to effect the final score. Because right now, retention is getting 6 out of 5 stars. I'll let people ponder that.
Lemme guess... You got your tool stuck in it?  :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 02:24:26 PM
Lemme guess... You got your tool stuck in it?  :D

I was going to ask the same

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 12:14:24 AM
No, I got it out.

After I took off my belt so I could use both hands.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 12:22:40 AM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 12:57:29 AM
So, I've got an RMA to have it "adjusted".

Flare the opening of the sheath some, and if this is a 10 on retention lets drop it down to a 7.

The question is, will they comp me the shipping. That waits to be seen.

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 10:31:53 AM
They certainly made it to make sure it won't drop out then. Hopefully the adjusted one is has just the right retention.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 04:25:33 AM
So. Finally got back to me today! Yay!

The loops they use are still clown shoes, I've got to do something with them. But it is greatly improved. They flared the opening of the sheath and loosened it up a little, but looked rediculous and lewd trying to get my rebar to fall out of the carrier which I was bouncing up and down in my hand at my desk today. They also trimmed quite a bit off the sides- it is now four inches wide, it was closer to 5.5 and would have sucked up 3 columns of PALS webbing if used on my pack. I didn't mention that it was possibly overwide, but now it fits right. Depending on what I finally end up doing for belt loops, I"ll probably be able to tuck a Minimialist or a SPEW behind it, or a couple of other knives.

I'll get more up in way of review probably later this weekend.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 10:18:07 AM
 :worthless:
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 12:18:33 PM
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%