Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

supermarket apocalypse survival bundle

dks · 7 · 1135

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
supermarket apocalypse survival bundle
on: March 12, 2018, 12:18:23 PM
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/688102/Costco-apocalypse-survival-kit-end-of-world-food

http://www.grubstreet.com/2018/03/costco-selling-family-sized-food-kits-for-doomsday-preppers.html

Costco launches £4,000 APOCALYPSE survival kit to help survive doomsday

The kit, which contains a monstrous 36,000 servings of various different types of food, has a shelf life of 25 years.

Costco said: “You can now enjoy the comfort in knowing you have the essential foods your family will need to survive an emergency or natural disaster.”
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: supermarket apocalypse survival bundle
Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 04:13:06 PM
Many people assume that these dehydrated or freeze dried food packs for long term storage provide healthy meals that will meet their family's nutritional needs during a disaster and the truth is they may not.  Read the labels!  Many of them are loaded with sugars and salt.  They also determine the number of servings available based on how many calories the average person needs (according to nutritional / medical guidelines) during normal times, but in times of stress or while doing hard labor such as after a disaster or during a crisis (when you might need those foods) your nutritional needs change, and instead of an adult male needing 2000 calories a day to maintain health and body weight, you may need twice that.  So, for example, that canned breakfast of dehydrated scrambled eggs and pancakes that says it has 8 servings may only be enough for 2 adults during crisis conditions. If you're going through 2 or 3 or more times the food than you anticipated then your stored food isn't going to last as long as you thought it would, and if the food you're eating is not nutritionally complete and is loaded with sugars and salt as are most of these storable foods it's going to create other problems such as diabetes, hypertension, gallstones, scurvy, and whatever else you can get from having a poor diet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dpwqmv_Z3lE

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 11:01:48 PM
....nothing with an expiry of 30 years can be good.

I've eaten my fair share of well preserved foods, of the camping and hiking variety, and things get a bit weird around the 3 year mark.

What's the use-by on an MRE?

and my understanding is you can only eat those for maybe two months before you start having troubles (the internet says they are designed for up to 21 days sustenance. I imagine you can push that out for survival, but your organs have got to get upset eventually)

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 01:53:05 AM
Actually SM, it depends on what you're looking at. 30 or 300 year old sugar or salt, kept dry, is fine. Hard tack, kept dry, will never go bad (nor will it go good). Pemmican sealed in a waxed intestine casing was still as edible as ever after 20 years if my memory of one experiment is correct.  I've had 12 year old Mainstay rations that were still edible- not as tasty as brand new ones (apparently atomic decay effects the lemon flavor, or more likely the aluminized mylar was starting to break down) and those are just a big sugar cookie that is twice baked and vacuum sealed. I've also eatten 5 year old mountain house packs and they were fine- as fine as anything freeze dried will ever be.

Considering that proper freeze dried items have almost no moisture, are vacuum packed or in an inert atmosphere, were packed sterile, and kept out of sunlight, that 30 year limit might be how long the packaging is rated for before it becomes brittle. No oxygen, no moisture, no microbes, no UV, no problems. But the seal must be perfect.

What's the use-by on an MRE?

Under perfect storage conditions, 7 years, but I've eaten them at ten. And yes, there is a difference between the same entree at the 3, 5 and 7 year marks, just like five day old lettuce isn't as good as it was in the garden ten minutes ago and I just rinsed it lettuce, but both are edible- if you want gourmet, nope. I wouldn't buy them over a year old, and I'd use them within 2 just to be safe, due to you having no idea how they were stored.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 02:00:13 AM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 02:23:01 PM
The above post by ironrave is spot on based on my research and information found on the webs, forums and official PDFs throughout the years.  :salute:

If properly sealed and stored as advised by the manufacturer, they easily last 5 to 10 years without any real change in properties or flavor (in relation to MRE foods, not real or just cooked meals :D).   
In good storage conditions, after 12-15 years signs of decay appear and the food starts to change in appearance and looks  :o, especially the most perishable items. The "basically sugar" or "basically chemicals" based food remains almost the same, other things just don't look or taste good but aren't toxic or dangerous to eat

and after 15-20 years in most cases (and in the opinion of most MREs eaters, fans and researchers) the changes are obvious and the MREs are barely pleasant to eat,  :P more disgusting really,  :ahhh but conserve and retain most of their macronutrient ratios, and things are still "nourishing" with the exception of the most perishable vitamins and minerals on them which will have irremediably been lost, degraded or dissolved.

I have no first hand experience, but I love reading about MREs and survival rations since I was 14  :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 12:30:44 PM
The above post by ironrave is spot on based on my research and information found on the webs, forums and official PDFs throughout the years.  :salute:

If properly sealed and stored as advised by the manufacturer, they easily last 5 to 10 years without any real change in properties or flavor (in relation to MRE foods, not real or just cooked meals :D).   
In good storage conditions, after 12-15 years signs of decay appear and the food starts to change in appearance and looks  :o, especially the most perishable items. The "basically sugar" or "basically chemicals" based food remains almost the same, other things just don't look or taste good but aren't toxic or dangerous to eat

and after 15-20 years in most cases (and in the opinion of most MREs eaters, fans and researchers) the changes are obvious and the MREs are barely pleasant to eat,  :P more disgusting really,  :ahhh but conserve and retain most of their macronutrient ratios, and things are still "nourishing" with the exception of the most perishable vitamins and minerals on them which will have irremediably been lost, degraded or dissolved.

I have no first hand experience, but I love reading about MREs and survival rations since I was 14  :tu:
peacent, have you ever seen this thread on MREs ( http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?74552-Exactly-how-long-do-MREs-last-and-general-MRE-information )on Gunboards? Several pages there, including comparisons to other countries military rations.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 05:28:34 PM

peacent, have you ever seen this thread on MREs ( http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?74552-Exactly-how-long-do-MREs-last-and-general-MRE-information )on Gunboards? Several pages there, including comparisons to other countries military rations.

yeah thanks I lurked on those forums on occasion and threads like that one  :D   :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%