Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

IMPORTANT THREAD RE: TSA SAFE TOOLS

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Re: IMPORTANT THREAD RE: TSA SAFE TOOLS
Reply #60 on: March 16, 2018, 01:02:33 PM
I wouldn’t be too upset if the UK left the EU, if it meant the daily mail disappearing.  :P ;)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2396327/Airport-security-farce-Deadlier-knives-used-9-11-sold-duty-free-taken-London-flight.html
This article is the definition of cringe worthy AND scaremongering, I think. :dwts:

:facepalm: actually  :facepalm: :facepalm:

years ago my 3 then year old daughter was made take off her brand new shoes in stanstead (she traveled to London to get new shoes, the highlight of her trip); this caused a little friction between myself and the security person, needless to say i lost >:(
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #61 on: March 16, 2018, 01:57:55 PM
I wouldn’t be too upset if the UK left the EU, if it meant the daily mail disappearing.  :P ;)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2396327/Airport-security-farce-Deadlier-knives-used-9-11-sold-duty-free-taken-London-flight.html
This article is the definition of cringe worthy AND scaremongering, I think. :dwts:

years ago my 3 then year old daughter was made take off her brand new shoes in stanstead (she traveled to London to get new shoes, the highlight of her trip); this caused a little friction between myself and the security person, needless to say i lost >:(.
But she could have been hiding a sword in them!  :facepalm:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #62 on: March 16, 2018, 02:44:30 PM

years ago my 3 then year old daughter was made take off her brand new shoes in stanstead (she traveled to London to get new shoes, the highlight of her trip); this caused a little friction between myself and the security person, needless to say i lost >:(.

Well in the hands of a 3 year old a SAK would look a bit like a small sword
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #63 on: March 16, 2018, 03:33:32 PM

Well in the hands of a 3 year old a SAK would look a bit like a small sword
Especially if it’s a Ranger.  :D

All hail the hook!

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: March 16, 2018, 04:16:25 PM
I've been doing a lot of US carry-on only travel lately and haven't had a problem with my Style PS. Each time I put it in a tray with all of the tools opened. It's been eyeballed a few times but doesn't seem to cause any concern. I realize that could change at any moment and perhaps it gets confiscated on my next flight. But to me it is worth the risk as it is a relatively cheap tool that I don't normally carry if I'm not flying and has come in very handy on numerous occasions. If it gets nabbed I will probably just pick up another one  :shrug:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #65 on: March 16, 2018, 11:19:14 PM
Yeah well, let's not forget that THIS happened.

Gun T-shirt 'was a security risk

A man wearing a T-shirt depicting a cartoon character holding a gun was stopped from boarding a flight by the security at Heathrow's Terminal 5.

Brad Jayakody, from Bayswater, central London, said he was "stumped" at the objection to his Transformers T-shirt.

Mr Jayakody said he had to change before boarding as security officers objected to the gun, held by the cartoon character.

Airport operator BAA said it was investigating the incident.
Mr Jayakody said the incident happened a few weeks ago, when he was challenged by an official during a pre-flight security check.

"He says, 'we won't be able to let you through because your T-shirt has got a gun on it'," Mr Jayakody said.

"I was like, 'What are you talking about?'.

"[The official's] supervisor comes over and goes 'sorry we can't let you through and you've a gun on your T-shirt'," he said.

Mr Jayakody said he had to strip and change his T-shirt there before he was allowed to board his flight.

"I was just looking for someone with a bit of common sense," he said.

"It's a cartoon robot - what threat is it to security or offensive to anyone at all?"

A BAA spokesman said there was no record of the incident and no "formal complaint" had been made.

"If a T-shirt had a rude word or a bomb on it, for example, a passenger may be asked to remove it," he said.

"We are investigating what happened to see if it came under this category.

"If it's offensive, we don't want other passengers upset."

If they are upset over a cartoon on a shirt then what hope do you have wearing a bracelet?

Def
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 11:21:21 PM by Grant Lamontagne »
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: March 16, 2018, 11:32:25 PM
There's either

1. More to the story

2. It's fake

Or 3. The security was just straight up smurfing with him, you ever see the movie super troopers.
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: March 17, 2018, 12:09:32 AM
I used to travel a lot earlier due to work, and have had some fairly offbeat security experiences over the years. The varitations of rules and regulations between countries and over time can be utterly confusing. That is not helped by some of the security personell being very authoritarian and square minded.

On the more action side I was once in the checking area when I noticed everyone around making their distance from me and my luggage, and security personell circling in on me from all around while moving away other people. There was quite the nervous mood on these people too, which made me slightly nervous - I had no desire to be their minute of crazy action that year.  :ahhh

Well, keeping his distance one guy waved me over to my luggage and asked if I could open it. So I did. Then he asked me to take out the item with several cylindrical shaped objects connected by wires and some button. That didn't really ring a bell at all for me, so that was kind of a hard request to follow - my hapless non-compliance didn't help the mood. And I'm getting nervous about these usually bored and potentially trigger happy action people getting more nervous still.. Scared people often make bad decisions. 

So I'm asked to remove one and one item from a certain section of my bag and put down to be scanned seperately. Eventually we found the culprit. I must have been one of the first to fly with a USB power pack... Afterwards I got to see how it had looked on their scans, and it sure looked suspicious. I guess once they've seen a few they got used to them.

As for multi-tools I've given up travelling with them in check-in luggage. By now I've lost several Micra and SAKs.

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #68 on: March 17, 2018, 12:52:49 PM
There's either

1. More to the story

2. It's fake

Or 3. The security was just straight up smurfing with him, you ever see the movie super troopers.

I have seen it several times, and worse, I lived it for many years.  Paul Blart too.  :facepalm:

If I had to guess as to a cause of that particular incident, I would probably say that it was some manager, higher up and with little hands on experience telling the front line guys that they had to institute a "zero tolerance" policy, and saying something like "I don't care if they even just have a Browning or Mossberg shirt on, they get stopped!"

Management pouts off and says idiotic things like that a lot, and the front line guys, whether they are idiots or not are expected to follow it to the letter, much like the time when I was working a bar downtown and we were told that everyone had to be ID'ed, even if they look like they are in their 60's.  So, I ID'ed everyone as instructed and I'm sure there are a lot of people out there talking about that idiot doorman checking ID's for people who are obviously old enough to get in.

The poor guy that had to check my M&M's was very apologetic, because even he knew what they were, and he had obviously been told to look.

Sometimes it isn't the idiot you are dealing with, but the bigger idiot pulling their strings.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #69 on: March 17, 2018, 12:57:11 PM

As for multi-tools I've given up travelling with them in check-in luggage. By now I've lost several Micra and SAKs.

Really!? Gulp, you've got me worried now!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #70 on: March 17, 2018, 07:27:32 PM

+1  :ahhh

All hail the hook!

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #71 on: March 17, 2018, 10:59:21 PM

Sorry, cancel panic! My mistake!  :oops: :twak: No travel with multi-tools in carry-on luggage. :)

Of course I've had my check-in luggage sent to wrong places entirely a few times, and once someone else took it at the destination airport.. (To their defense their bag was quite similar and they did leave theirs to me).

I think it was SAS who used to have the infamous sign at the wall behind check in counter: "We take your luggage and send it all over the world".. Now, who wouldn't want that?  ::) :D
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #72 on: March 17, 2018, 11:47:05 PM

Sorry, cancel panic! My mistake!  :oops: :twak: No travel with multi-tools in carry-on luggage. :)

Of course I've had my check-in luggage sent to wrong places entirely a few times, and once someone else took it at the destination airport.. (To their defense their bag was quite similar and they did leave theirs to me).

I think it was SAS who used to have the infamous sign at the wall behind check in counter: "We take your luggage and send it all over the world".. Now, who wouldn't want that?  ::) :D

Phew... I was worried there....

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #73 on: March 18, 2018, 12:00:53 AM

Phew... I was worried there....

(Image removed from quote.)
:D :rofl:

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99