Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ranger Wood 55, any thoughts ?

Gee.B · 12 · 3034

fr Offline Gee.B

Ranger Wood 55, any thoughts ?
on: March 10, 2018, 10:23:51 PM
Hello,

My birthday is coming soon and I’m thinking of getting a Ranger Wood 55.
My daily sak is an Alox Pioneer Harvester.
I’m considering a larger model for picnics and hiking. Especially as Spring is coming fast

The first time I saw the Ranger Wood 55 I found it quite nice. Now I dunno how it feels like on a regular usage. Especially when it come to wood+water. Any trouble ?

Thanks

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Re: Ranger Wood 55, any thoughts ?
Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 10:52:17 PM
When you say water, are you planning on going scuba diving or just worried about the rain?
A little moisture never hurt the scales on my Evowood/Forester with wooden scales - I oil them every now and then to keep them water resistant.
If you're expecting them to take a serious soaking on a daily basis I'd probably go for the plastic option.

--edit -- great SAK by the way. The extra blade is awesome for food-related tasks.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 10:53:24 PM by Thunderpants »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 10:58:32 PM
Bonjour!

I have a Rangerwood 55 and I love it! J'adore!

However.......it is huge! C'est très, très grand. Longe et épais. Because of this, I either carry it in a pack or in a belt sheath. It's really too big for a pocket, although it can be done.

It feels very good in the hand. I'm right-handed and the blade, when open is closer to my thumb (if that makes sense). This is excellent because it allows me to get the heel of my palm behind a cut. The saw is perfectly centered--brilliant! genial!

I like the contoured handle scales, the locking blade, and the lock release. I also like the way the large driver locks up with pressure. (I prefer the positive lock of the One Hand Trekker, but this Wenger-style lock is still good. I'm awlso pleased that the awl has a sewing eye.

Overall, I think this is a really well designed and built knife. I see it as primarily a woods knife (Couteau de bois?) for hiking, camping, or hunting. So, the question of durability arises..... I keep the wooden scales oiled with either Ballistol or mineral oil. And my knife is usually in a sheath or in a pack, so it doesn't really get exposed to a lot of water (rain, snow, rivers, or lakes). Also, I live in a very dry area, so humidity isn't a problem for me. I can only speak to my own expereince, which is that the wood scales have held up well for me and show no real signs of wear so far. (I've had the knife for about two years now.)

If you are looking for a large--très grand--knife for outdoors use, I think the Rangerwood 55 will serve you well. Keep the scales oiled, don't submerge them in water, avoid harsh soaps and heat, and I think you will be pleased.   :tu:
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 11:08:52 PM by Nix »

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 03:04:19 AM
+1

What Nix said. I also appreciate the hefty feel of the ranger 55. Huge blade for ANY purpose. One down side with wooden scales/handles. Wood like leather needs to be protected from water. Having said that, all wood scales are treated to withstand exposure to water; but it needs to be kept up or re-treated. I have had wooden tools used under salt water for years without any issues due to the constant maintenance performed after each dive. So go for it and look after it!

fr Offline Gee.B

Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 12:29:42 AM
Alright, thanks for your answe I do appreciate very much

I will definitly go with this model. I cant help falling in love with it :)

I got two small questions:
- do you have a specific reference for the oil you apply on the wood in order to protect it ?
- what kind of pouch can I use for such a big modlel like this ?

Again thank a lot

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 12:36:41 AM
Good questions.

I don't have a specific recommendation for protective oils. I use either Mineral Oil (Baby Oil) or Ballistol. But, I wouldn't hesitate to use Linseed oil or another furniture oil. (I have a top secret recipe for a wood finish made from linseed oil, bee's wax, and turpentine. It is soooooo secret that not even I know it.  ;))

For a belt pouch, I use a generic knife pouch or pistol magazine pouch. I should probably make a dedicated Rangerwood 55 sheath, but I use whichever pouch comes to hand.   :facepalm:

You will really enjoy this knife! I am sure!   :tu:

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 12:44:04 AM
Anything with bee’s wax will do the trick...even in salt water. You can get 130mm vic pouches via a simple google search. I use a generic leather sheath.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 09:31:03 AM
There are so many variations of wood pattern - from elaborate & beautiful to monotone and dull - that I would go into a shop and look at the Rangerwoods on offer, if possible, to avoid getting a really dreary example. I ordered a wood-scaled Forester online, and one side of it is so boring it looks like cardboard.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 01:53:30 PM
There are so many variations of wood pattern - from elaborate & beautiful to monotone and dull - that I would go into a shop and look at the Rangerwoods on offer, if possible, to avoid getting a really dreary example. I ordered a wood-scaled Forester online, and one side of it is so boring it looks like cardboard.

+1

Here are some pics of the first Rangerwood I bought:

Nothing wrong with it, great looking wooden scales ...

And a few weeks later I found this one in a shop display ...

It was my wife who spotted this last one, and even she said I needed to buy that one because it looked so much better than the first one (and again, there's nothing wrong with the first one, but if you see them side by side, the last one just blows the other one away ...).

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 01:56:59 PM
Some side by side pics of both of my Rangerwoods (once I start posting pics, I can't stop ...  ::)).

And a pic of one of the ("old" Wenger) sheaths I got for them:

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 02:04:46 PM
Whoa!  :o That's a beauty!!!

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 02:15:02 PM
Whoa!  :o That's a beauty!!!

Thanks mate  :salute:.

That was exactly my reaction when I saw it for the first time  ;).

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%