Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How long does steel last?

Offline aikon2014

How long does steel last?
on: March 15, 2018, 04:40:56 PM
Is there any shelf life of steel? Lets say for an example that we have a Leatherman multi tool and a Victorinox knife. How long would they last without any noticable change in the steel? If we speak about about sharpening ability, corrosions resistance, strenght and so on. Is there such a thing as steel shelf life? Or will I probably die before the steel gets any weaker?

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: How long does steel last?
Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 04:45:58 PM
Is there any shelf life of steel? Lets say for an example that we have a Leatherman multi tool and a Victorinox knife. How long would they last without any noticable change in the steel? If we speak about about sharpening ability, corrosions resistance, strenght and so on. Is there such a thing as steel shelf life? Or will I probably die before the steel gets any weaker?

The LM would rust as soon as you turn your back on it :pommel:   :D but the Vic would still be usable in 100 years time. 

Seriously, I don't know figures but they would both be in great shape long after you've gone, provided they weren't in a corrosive atmosphere.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

Offline aikon2014

Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 04:47:33 PM

The LM would rust as soon as you turn your back on it :pommel:   :D but the Vic would still be usable in 100 years time. 

Seriously, I don't know figures but they would both be in great shape long after you've gone, provided they weren't in a corrosive atmosphere.

I'm just getting a bit paranoid about my collection, I want to be able to use it for the rest of my life  :D

They are kept in a dry environment! :)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 04:52:54 PM
Here’s an interesting answer for Victorinox:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,27030.0.html
Long story short, the Victorinox steel will outlive you, even if you live by the sea. :cheers:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

Offline aikon2014

Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 04:59:24 PM
Rust isn't my biggest fear so to speak, its relatively easy to get rid of, I think I'm more paranoid about the steel loosing it's strenght or something along those lines. But on the other hand, there are old buildings that are over 100 years old in New York that are made with steel, long before the quality of steel was as good as today, so it should hold it's strenght longer than my life?

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 05:02:59 PM
If it's unstressed and corrosion free it'll last forever(-ish).  There are instances of springs breaking on older knives, even when not in use.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 05:03:40 PM
Why would steel degrade over time?

It's not a natural material.
As long as you keep it clean, dry and oiled, it should last EXTREMELY long.

Speaking of natural materials:
Wood...

Keep it clean, dry and oiled/protected, it will last EXTREMELY long.

Maintenance is key; always.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 05:05:42 PM
If it's unstressed and corrosion free it'll last forever(-ish).  There are instances of springs breaking on older knives, even when not in use.
Probably due to flaws that would be less common in the modern steel?
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 05:11:17 PM

Maybe.  It's a known issue on the Leatherman Squirt and Style PS small scissors, probably due to exceeding the material stress/fatigue limits.

Offline aikon2014

Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 05:15:12 PM

Maybe.  It's a known issue on the Leatherman Squirt and Style PS small scissors, probably due to exceeding the material stress/fatigue limits.

If my smaller tools die one me, it's not a big deal though  :D

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 05:19:46 PM
quality sourced, tempered and manufactured steel will last centuries if just stored in a dry, heat controlled and corrosion (acids, alkali, degradation products like resins, wood vapors, etc.) environment

Absolutely no worries there   :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 05:37:35 PM

I'm just getting a bit paranoid about my collection, I want to be able to use it for the rest of my life  :D

They are kept in a dry environment! :)

By coincidence, I checked my sons tool collections, which they keep in their room, just last week.   And guess what ...  :pok:

Their Leatherman tools all had small spots of (beginning) rust.  My sons both have a Style PS and a Leatherman Charge AL, and both the Styles had a lot of spots on the entire tool, while their Charges had rust lines on the sides (the piece between the locks and the plier-head).  After some TLC most of it got removed, but at a certain angle you can still see some of the spots a tiny bit ...  I oiled them up (a lot) and stored them right next to my own collection downstairs.

Meanwhile, all their Victorinox and Wenger stuff (SilverTech Swisschamps, Explorer, camo Huntsman, My first Victorinox's, Signature Lite SilverTech, Wenger Snow Ranger, Matterhorn Climber, their 100th Anniversary Edition Spartan's, a couple of different scale Classics...) had no problems whatsoever.  Oh, after checking all their stuff I suddenly realized what a nice collection they both have ...   :D.

And it's not that their rooms are moisty, the only thing that could explain this is the fact that we leave the windows in the bedrooms open a lot of the time to get some fresh air in them (I love a bedroom filled with cold fresh outside air ...  :)).  Or maybe that the fiddled with them and this is the result of sweaty hands (but this doesn't seem likely, plus they also fiddle with the Vic stuff).

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 06:34:41 PM
Your knife will outlive you. The Vered Jericho Sword is the oldest found steel sword. made around 600 BC, and currently sitting in a museum.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 07:04:35 PM
The blade in this knife is 100 years old, not too shabby  :D
(also the back spring and horn scales)

You can sleep again tonight Aikon  :salute:  :D

« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 07:05:58 PM by Sparky415 »
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 07:23:49 PM
:dd:   :like:

Offline aikon2014

Reply #15 on: March 15, 2018, 07:32:46 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :like: :D :D :D

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: March 15, 2018, 07:36:11 PM

;)

:cheers:
Everything’s adjustable

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #17 on: March 15, 2018, 07:38:47 PM

(Image removed from quote.)
And Tony should know....... :pok:

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: March 15, 2018, 07:44:36 PM

:twak:

Hey Noah gave me that knife when I was little
Everything’s adjustable

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #19 on: March 15, 2018, 07:46:23 PM
you mean when HE was little...
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: March 15, 2018, 07:51:15 PM

Dang kids you are going to ruin Aikons steel thread  :pok:
Everything’s adjustable

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #21 on: March 15, 2018, 07:57:06 PM
FWIW, just from storage my Gerbers and LMs have developed spots, slight rust or dimples many times, in most models
None of my polished SOGs or Vics have suffered from that, being stored in the same place under the same conditions 

:whistle:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #22 on: March 15, 2018, 08:03:31 PM
FWIW, just from storage my Gerbers and LMs have developed spots, slight rust or dimples many times, in most models
None of my polished SOGs or Vics have suffered from that, being stored in the same place under the same conditions 

:whistle:

It might be the type of steel, but on the other hand, being high polished also helps to avoid these spots.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #23 on: March 15, 2018, 08:29:40 PM
I can say with absolute certainty that you can safely store your victorinox knives in gross oily slimy mud for a least SOME time with very minor rust issues.  :D

And I guess, not my personal experience but you can store your Gerber MP600 in wet soil for a year.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,53603.0.html

As others have mentioned, unless it's being stressed, there's no metal fatigue. The only other issue is corrosion, and the modern stainless steels are VERY good at not corroding.

The long and short of it is that I am certain all of my tools will outlive me if I don't break them from stupid-user issues.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: March 16, 2018, 03:47:22 AM
Oil.

Flitz.

Rust eraser.

Good.
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #25 on: March 16, 2018, 03:54:13 AM
Flitz.

I just discovered Flitz.  :dd:

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #26 on: March 16, 2018, 04:07:35 AM
Steel doesn't expire. Assuming proper storage (dry clean environment, light oil coating to prevent rust & corrosion), an unstressed slab of steel could theoretically sit unchanged forever (in the literal sense). Steel doesn't "decompose" or de-crystallize like some materials.

Old SAKs that break their springs are likely due to the fatigue of being in a constant state of bending for 50+ years; Those springs aren't completely unloaded with the knife either open or closed, it's how the knife "snaps" open or closed. It's even worse for knives kept on display for long periods, like display knives, some of these will  break their springs just a few years after they are made, and its why you should never store your knives in this fashion.

It's only tangentially related, and probably an imperfect experiment, but the Great Gerber MP600 & Leatherman Wave Burial Experiments are pretty amusing & informative.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,61008.msg1129331.html#msg1129331

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,53603.0.html

« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 04:10:22 AM by sLaughterMed »
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #27 on: March 16, 2018, 04:41:14 AM

As a big time LM fan, I must begrudgingly admit, LMs(particularly newer ones) require several treatments of drying silicone oil before they stop getting tiny rust specs on the pliers and satin finished tools just riding in a sheath on my belt. :facepalm:
The Vic Explorer I carry has almost no rust on the steel and it has been neglected in my pocket fifteen years. The liners have corrosion, but it still looks fine. :)

Aikon,
A light coat of drying silicone oil does wonders for my LMs, Gerbers, and other non-high-polished MTs.  I get crazy when I see little rust spots. It is an OCD issue and does not compromise the tool itself.  :ahhh
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline redmond

Reply #28 on: March 16, 2018, 01:48:58 PM
One of my Japanese swords is about 700-800 years old (Koto era). It is is still in good shape and is VERY sharp. Japanese  swords from about 1600-1800 are considered "New Swords" (Shinto era), etc.

Steel will outlive you by many lifetimes with proper maintenance.   :)
Greg
LM: PST II, Crunch (x2), Squirt, Micra, Skeletool, Rebar, Wave
SAK: Executive, Classic, Compact, Farmer, Fieldmaster, Huntsman, Explorer, SwissChamp, Climber, Camper, Pioneer, Pioneer X, Money Clip, Minichamp, Cadet, Super Tinker, Bijou, Excelsior, Swisstool, Wenger SGT Shortix  Plus, Traveler, Evo S18
 Gerber: Mr. Pinchy, MP600

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #29 on: March 16, 2018, 02:40:52 PM
One of my Japanese swords is about 700-800 years old (Koto era). It is is still in good shape and is VERY sharp. Japanese  swords from about 1600-1800 are considered "New Swords" (Shinto era), etc.

Steel will outlive you by many lifetimes with proper maintenance.   :)
:o Impressive! Any pics Redmond?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69