Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How long does steel last?

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Re: How long does steel last?
Reply #30 on: March 16, 2018, 02:59:34 PM
One of my Japanese swords is about 700-800 years old (Koto era). It is is still in good shape and is VERY sharp. Japanese  swords from about 1600-1800 are considered "New Swords" (Shinto era), etc.

Steel will outlive you by many lifetimes with proper maintenance.   :)
:o Impressive! Any pics Redmond?

:drool:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Offline aikon2014

Reply #31 on: March 16, 2018, 03:00:21 PM
All excellent good news, I want my future kids to inherit my tools and knives. Hopefully at least one of them will be interested in something that include knives and tools, bushcraft, fishing, hunting or whatever  :)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #32 on: March 16, 2018, 06:52:14 PM
Find someone, have the children and do not worry about steel
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #33 on: March 16, 2018, 07:42:37 PM
One of my Japanese swords is about 700-800 years old (Koto era). It is is still in good shape and is VERY sharp. Japanese  swords from about 1600-1800 are considered "New Swords" (Shinto era), etc.

Hey, forget the pics, man!

:pok: :pok:

Show content
GAW! GAW! GAW! GAW!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline redmond

Reply #34 on: March 17, 2018, 02:28:49 PM

Here are a couple. The lower wakizashi is the oldest and has a 21" cutting edge, signed Kanemichi. The upper tachi/katana is probably about 400-500 years old and has a 28" cutting edge. The mounts for both are only about 100-150 years old.

For the modders out there, at some time in the past both were shortened a few inches at the handle end. Probably shortened to match the style/need/preference of the time.

This is an 8" cutting edge aikuchi, signed Kanemoto, from about 1500.

Here you can see the steel surface with the laminations as well as the temper line.

Greg
LM: PST II, Crunch (x2), Squirt, Micra, Skeletool, Rebar, Wave
SAK: Executive, Classic, Compact, Farmer, Fieldmaster, Huntsman, Explorer, SwissChamp, Climber, Camper, Pioneer, Pioneer X, Money Clip, Minichamp, Cadet, Super Tinker, Bijou, Excelsior, Swisstool, Wenger SGT Shortix  Plus, Traveler, Evo S18
 Gerber: Mr. Pinchy, MP600

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: March 17, 2018, 03:13:39 PM
Wow  :drool:

(And thanks for posting pictures  :salute: )
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: March 17, 2018, 03:49:35 PM
Great pictures.  As we can see steel can last a very long time.  As far as rust on LMs.  I have coated mine lightly with oil prior to storage.  Initially I didn't do a thing but figured it wouldn't hurt.  I've also coated my carbon blades that dont see every day usage with Frog Lube.  I've had no rusting issues at all. 
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: March 18, 2018, 05:06:45 PM
those katanas... :ahhh  :like: :like:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #38 on: March 18, 2018, 06:01:35 PM
Awesome swords...  :drool:

I heard a theory for why we consider old katanas to be so good...
Awl the bad ones were broken hundreds of years ago, and only the luckiest from the best of the best made it to today.  :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: March 18, 2018, 06:33:31 PM
Awesome swords...  :drool:

I heard a theory for why we consider old katanas to be so good...
Awl the bad ones were broken hundreds of years ago, and only the luckiest from the best of the best made it to today.  :D

Same logic as for old buildings then :D

In the middle ages they did have quality control that was more commited and personal though. The master mason was often made to stand in the middle of the building when they took away the scaffolding for the roof.

As for steel life I think it really comes down to the environment it is stored in and its use. With real bad environment it can be gone in minutes, with storage in an optimal environment it should last forever. I do wonder what museum people consider optimal storage environment though? There are likely differences for different kinds of steel.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #40 on: March 18, 2018, 06:44:15 PM
Glad to see a consensus about the lifespan of steel, because I don’t know about you guys but I plan to confuse the  💩 out of an archeologist someday when they dig me up and find a pile of dust and million and one shiney little tools.
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #41 on: March 18, 2018, 08:14:52 PM
I do wonder what museum people consider optimal storage environment though? There are likely differences for different kinds of steel.

How about The National Park Service "Museum Handbook Appendix O: Curatorial Care of Metal Objects" PDF as a good base document?
https://www.nps.gov/museum/publications/MHI/Appendix%20O.pdf

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: March 18, 2018, 08:37:38 PM
I do wonder what museum people consider optimal storage environment though? There are likely differences for different kinds of steel.

How about The National Park Service "Museum Handbook Appendix O: Curatorial Care of Metal Objects" PDF as a good base document?

Excellent!  :cheers: Where else can you find chapters like "Emergency Procedures for Metal objects".   :D

More to the point it seems I was onto something by covering larger metal objects in acid-free wax for long term storage. (Note: Keep inside something to keep birds and animals away. One year there was small blunt beaked birds flying around, and no wax left on my metal...).

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: March 19, 2018, 01:00:07 PM

Excellent!  :cheers: Where else can you find chapters like "Emergency Procedures for Metal objects".   :D

More to the point it seems I was onto something by covering larger metal objects in acid-free wax for long term storage. (Note: Keep inside something to keep birds and animals away. One year there was small blunt beaked birds flying around, and no wax left on my metal...).

not to mention the ultra corrosive, acidic and destructive birds feces   :ahhh  that could end up in your exposed tools  :o
My toys:

us Offline redmond

Reply #44 on: March 19, 2018, 01:50:02 PM

Many museums use Renaissance Wax as a preservative. I use it for revolvers. and it works well. You wipe a light coating on, let it sit a few minutes then wipe it off (like waxing a car). Use it sparingly.

https://www.amazon.com/Renaissance-XTL-8004-Wax-Polish-65ml/dp/B003AJWN62/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1521463461&sr=8-4&keywords=renaissance+wax&dpID=41DjQG9hJyL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 01:51:50 PM by redmond »
Greg
SAK: Executive, Classic, Compact, Farmer, Fieldmaster, Huntsman, Explorer, SwissChamp, Climber, Camper, Pioneer, Pioneer X, Money Clip, Minichamp, Cadet, Super Tinker, Bijou, Excelsior, Swisstool, Wenger SGT Shortix  Plus, Traveler, Evo S18

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: March 19, 2018, 08:49:39 PM
not to mention the ultra corrosive, acidic and destructive birds feces   :ahhh  that could end up in your exposed tools  :o

Honestly I was very surprised indeed to discover that my 2 ton cast iron tables had been viciously attacked by swarms of small cute birds. Somehow the chance of that hadn't crossed my mind. In retrospect it should have - I just didn't think of that wax in terms of food at all.

These days I have them covered up proper, and hopefully safe back inside soon :)
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #46 on: March 20, 2018, 12:37:43 AM
Redmond, pardon me while I drool. Back here, where I can't drip on anything important and dishonor myself.  :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

I use it for revolvers. and it works well.

Vintage as well?

Real katanas and wakazashis, plus possibly old school wheelguns? Ladies and gentlemen, we may have a Six-gun Samurai in the house.  :D And I"m jealous if it is true.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #47 on: March 20, 2018, 12:45:56 AM
 :nothingtoadd: :woohoo: :woohoo:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline redmond

Reply #48 on: March 20, 2018, 04:05:58 AM
Redmond, pardon me while I drool. Back here, where I can't drip on anything important and dishonor myself.  :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

I use it for revolvers. and it works well.

Vintage as well?

Real katanas and wakazashis, plus possibly old school wheelguns? Ladies and gentlemen, we may have a Six-gun Samurai in the house.  :D And I"m jealous if it is true.
Yup. Old S&W revolvers, here are some J and K frames.

BTW - I'm pretty vintage as well. Possibly antique.
Greg

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #49 on: March 21, 2018, 11:57:13 PM
BTW - I'm pretty vintage as well. Possibly antique.

Nothing that can't be fixed with reblueing and new springs, maybe new grips.  :D
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: March 23, 2018, 02:13:43 PM

I'm just getting a bit paranoid about my collection, I want to be able to use it for the rest of my life  :D

Well, you get to 40 and then you realise you don't have enough years left to wear out any knife/axe/stuff....

@redmond ........ :drool: ..........  :salute:

Been reading a lot about Viking era swords, amazing what is left after centuries of rust.

:think: Thinking archaeologically.........can you imagine what the aliens that resettle the planet when we're gone will think when they dig up a Spyderco H1 blade  :whistle:

:cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD