Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bantam & Helmsman

il Offline israelpiper

Bantam & Helmsman
on: March 15, 2018, 06:12:05 PM
Helmsman & Bantam. 111mm vs. 84mm

The Bantam has only the one blade and a combination tool. Cans are almost all pull-tab here, and are not my favourite outdoors food containers. The caplifter doesn't see much use in the wilds either. But this super light little knife is cheap and amazingly sturdy. Has a very firm half-stop on the combo tool/driver,  I bought a few, and find them very handy. A perfect gentleman's carry, and actually light enough for a key chain if that suits. I textured the shiny Cellidor, as I tend to do. Sacrilege. The Shinning not being my cup of tea (scratches just in a pocket with a few sheqels). 

The Helmsman is a long blade, a marlin spike, opener layer, and philips and awl on the back. I removed the locking pin, slide, and slide spring. Backspring only, but no problems. I grew up with only slipjoints. And it is fully legal now.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: Bantam & Helmsman
Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 06:29:36 PM
Someone mentioned the other day that they had blade play on the lock-up of a slide-lock 111mm, so I went to check it on my Rucksack 111mm.

What I discovered was that it has REALLY good blade retention without the lock. Good, incredibly solid feeling backspring holding it in place. I always think of blade locks as a safety precaution, and if youre careful, it's not the most necessary thing in the world. The spearpoint blade isn't that great at thrust cutting anyway, so I never think of SAKs as really NEEDING bladelocks.

So, yeah, don't mind disengaging the locks at all, and I think it's nice that the locks on the slide-lock versions are pretty easy to remove.

I have to disagree with you on one point. I believe for the PERFECT gentleman's carry, you have to get an ALOX Bantam. :D

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 06:39:26 PM
A really nice pair of SAKs, and absolute opposites in terms of features, weight, width etc.
Treat yourself to an alox Bantam if you like super-lightweight!

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 07:06:18 PM
A really nice pair of SAKs, and absolute opposites in terms of features, weight, width etc.
Treat yourself to an alox Bantam if you like super-lightweight!

I never see the Alox Bantam here in shops, except in colours. I have any number of good super-light gentleman's carry, and I am sure I would be happy with the Alox Bantam. I could of course order one, but browsing shops is a fond adventure. I am afraid if I start ordering I won't be able to stop. Not good on a pension...

Since I use a pouch on a light webbing belt instead of my pants pockets most of the time, I am not too bothered by weight. But I admire any firm that can make a very light knife that is genuinely useful.

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 07:15:55 PM
Someone mentioned the other day that they had blade play on the lock-up of a slide-lock 111mm, so I went to check it on my Rucksack 111mm.

What I discovered was that it has REALLY good blade retention without the lock. Good, incredibly solid feeling backspring holding it in place. I always think of blade locks as a safety precaution, and if youre careful, it's not the most necessary thing in the world. The spearpoint blade isn't that great at thrust cutting anyway, so I never think of SAKs as really NEEDING bladelocks.

So, yeah, don't mind disengaging the locks at all, and I think it's nice that the locks on the slide-lock versions are pretty easy to remove.

I have to disagree with you on one point. I believe for the PERFECT gentleman's carry, you have to get an ALOX Bantam. :D

I always like to check the back-spring on a side-lock knife that I might want to disable. Most are plenty strong, but a few might not be.

I am sure that I'll pick up an Alox Bantam eventually...

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 07:29:52 PM
Very nice pair of VSAK's!  I love the Bantam and carry an Alox specimen when I have to get dressed up.  It's so light you don't know it's there.

I did see somewhere that the Bantam has been discontinued in Alox.  I'm not sure if that's true, but bears consideration. 

Myron

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 08:00:45 PM
I did see somewhere that the Bantam has been discontinued in Alox.

:o
Say it ain't so!
They're still on the official Vic products page... so presumably still I have time to buy 50 of them before they go the way of the dodo...

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 10:06:37 PM
yeah, Batman & Robin
Bantum & Horrmann
Barnes & Noble
Bartam & Yoda
Barman & Showman
are classics

I agree  ;)

OK, I'll see myself out of there now...  :D  :salute:   :rofl:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 01:03:33 AM
Beavis and Bantamhead...

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 01:37:22 AM
A nice SAK combo.

On a personal note, I've generally spent the extra dollar and gotten a waiter.  Doesn't really add any weight.

The alox bantam (and it's big brother the cadet) are also great knives.  Just be prepared to go down the alox rabbit hole.
- Steve

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 06:38:13 AM
A nice SAK combo.

On a personal note, I've generally spent the extra dollar and gotten a waiter.  Doesn't really add any weight.

The alox bantam (and it's big brother the cadet) are also great knives.  Just be prepared to go down the alox rabbit hole.

I do have a number of Pioneers, and I love the thick blades and strong back springs of this Alox series.  The Farmer is absolute classic. I'd love to have one with just a combo tool, and a scissors added, keeping the saw. 

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 09:53:27 PM
So you are familiar with the 93mm alox.  That would be the concern, that the 84mm would be a "gateway" knife.

Many here have wished for a Farmer X.  I myself would like to see scissors added to the alox bantam or cadet.
- Steve

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 10:30:45 PM
Yeah, the Cadet with a nail file feels incomplete without scissors. And if you add a Classic, you have two nail files which makes no sense!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #13 on: March 17, 2018, 01:29:45 AM
Yeah, the Cadet with a nail file feels incomplete without scissors. And if you add a Classic, you have two nail files which makes no sense!
Duh, it’s so that your servants have enough nail files to file the nails on one hand and one foot at the same time while on the limo trip from your house to the gala.
Four nail files would be preferable, one for each limb, but you can’t have everything, unfortunately....
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44