Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman diamond file?

Offline aikon2014

Leatherman diamond file?
on: March 16, 2018, 08:13:35 PM
So I watched Fowlers (The winner of season 3 of alone) channel on youtube and he spoke a little bit about sharpening. He had what looked like a Swisstool spirit X with him.

However, I was just theoretically thinking about if I went, I would probably take a surge since it has a removable diamond sharpener to sharpen not only other tools but the knife on the surge itself.

How long would a Leatherman diamond file last you think? Let's say that it is a situation like that and you had to sharpen your tools (axe, knife) maybe 3-4 times a week, and a big saw like once a week. I suppose the Wave file is the same but smaller?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Leatherman diamond file?
Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 08:33:57 PM
I don't have them in front of me right now but I think the Wave file might be slightly larger.
The diamond side is really only suited for honing the edge, minor burrs etc.
They last for a long long time if used properly.

Forget theoretical though, it's more about your own levels.
Can you sharpen a knife, axe and saw with the file?

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 08:40:32 PM
The Wave file is a hair wider at the pivot end than the Surge file. I don't think the file would hold up for long sharpening an axe. Like zoid said best for touching up an edge.

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 03:51:45 PM
When I was in the Marine Corps we were trained to use the steel file on an axe, then to use the diamond file to touch it up. FWIW

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 04:00:14 PM
What they said ^^

I'll add,  I see a lot of used LM Waves.   Many of the diamond files are well used and while not worn out they certainly have seen better days.  My guess has always been these diamond files are used exclusively when the other side would have been a better choice.  I think the diamond side should last years with proper use.     
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 04:05:14 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 05:00:26 AM
So I watched Fowlers (The winner of season 3 of alone) channel on youtube and he spoke a little bit about sharpening. He had what looked like a Swisstool spirit X with him.

I followed his stuff as well, and I honestly think with the power of hindsight that he would have been MUCH better off leaving the slingshot and having taken a full fledged dedicated sharpening tool, like a stone of some kind or something, Or, for that matter, just finding a whet stone. Of course, he needed the file to sharpen the saw, but the cold steel shovel could have been sharpened on a stone. Or maybe one 'item' could be considered a set of files. I dunno. I certainly think his tool combo, big saw, sharpened cold steel shovel, and Swisstool was pretty nearly perfect (at least for him). He just needed a better way to keep the saw sharp. He said in one video that by the end, he'd pretty much worn the file on the Swisstool to uselessness. He was there for... what? 83 days?

I don't know if you saw the video where he explains how he sharpened the swisstool spirit. He put mud on a stump, and stropped the blade on the mud. I thought that was pretty genius.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 05:01:58 AM by Lynn LeFey »

Offline aikon2014

Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 12:52:52 PM

I followed his stuff as well, and I honestly think with the power of hindsight that he would have been MUCH better off leaving the slingshot and having taken a full fledged dedicated sharpening tool, like a stone of some kind or something, Or, for that matter, just finding a whet stone. Of course, he needed the file to sharpen the saw, but the cold steel shovel could have been sharpened on a stone. Or maybe one 'item' could be considered a set of files. I dunno. I certainly think his tool combo, big saw, sharpened cold steel shovel, and Swisstool was pretty nearly perfect (at least for him). He just needed a better way to keep the saw sharp. He said in one video that by the end, he'd pretty much worn the file on the Swisstool to uselessness. He was there for... what? 83 days?

I don't know if you saw the video where he explains how he sharpened the swisstool spirit. He put mud on a stump, and stropped the blade on the mud. I thought that was pretty genius.

Yes I saw that, and that was ingenoius, however, I would personally have chosen like you a sharpening kit, like a DMT stone or even better, a Fällkniven stone with both the diamond and the ceramic sharpening sides.
I first thought that I would have replaced the shovel for a small Gränsfors axe (since I am Swedish), however, the shovel with it's digging ability is just outstanding and I would have chosen the same shovel probably!

us Offline Marcellus

• What does Marcellus Wallace look like?
Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 10:24:55 PM
Timely thread as I noticed that 25% of the  diamond side of my Wave's file is now bald and the remaing 75% is pretty worn as well.

I noticed this just today.

In hind sight I would not have sacrificed the diamond surface on some project, that now I can't even remember what it was. I was too lazy to find another tool. My bad.

So, unless I get a replacement, I basically have a coarse file only.

The OP's answer is - the diamond file will definitely wear out with use, excessive use will accelerate the process.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 03:43:32 AM
Marcellus,
Contact LM about getting a replacement file. I am sure it would be inexpensive, if not free. A security torx bit and a few minutes; you're good to go. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Marcellus

Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 03:57:15 AM
Marcellus,
Contact LM about getting a replacement file. I am sure it would be inexpensive, if not free. A security torx bit and a few minutes; you're good to go. :)

Good idea, thanks gerleatherberman.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 04:13:59 AM
Marcellus,

Good idea, thanks gerleatherberman.
:cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 05:50:02 AM
Marcellus,

I think you will need to send it in for warranty. I don't think they will send you a file.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 06:27:42 AM
Marcellus,

I think you will need to send it in for warranty. I don't think they will send you a file.
I didn't think about it that way. Although, it would be much cheaper to send users the parts if they are willing to do the work. :-\
I sent my Wave in last year for a broken serrated blade. They sent the same Wave handles back with a new plier head, scissors, large flat head, plain blade, file, new bit in holder, and of course a new serrated blade. It was awesome. Took five weeks though. :ahhh
I would have been thrilled to just have gotten a new blade in the mail.

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 26, 2018, 11:32:45 AM
I love the file on the Surge because it is removal and therefore very easily replaced when it's worn out. Plus you can sharpen it's own straight blade with it if you need to, you can't do that with one on a wave so it's bigger size means nothing if that is what you want to use it for.

In my last job the saw/file combo got used very often. On some jobs it was fiddly because of it's small size, but it managed everything I threw at it. The combination of the swap-able file/saw that also allows jigsaw blades to be used, and the replaceable cutters in the pliers is what made the Surge my favourite multi and also the one I have the most of.

us Offline Marcellus

Reply #14 on: March 27, 2018, 03:27:27 AM
Marcellus,

I think you will need to send it in for warranty. I don't think they will send you a file

Oh, do you suppose Leatherman thinks some of us trying to build our own Wave, ha. Piece by piece?

Probably  a directive from their Legal Dept.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%