Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

NexTool TaoBar pry bat and package opener

gb Offline BePrepared

NexTool TaoBar pry bat and package opener
on: March 17, 2018, 11:47:34 AM
I've already posted some pics of my new keychain tool, the NexTool TaoBar, but I thought I'd post a few more here.  It slices through paper and packages, blade is Sandvik 12C27, Teflon coated, and it has a linear lock.

I like the curved lifter part --- been looking for this in a mini prybar for while, and almost got a Gerber shard on a few occasions (but heard the shard has exposed sharp edges that can damage pockets.)  Anyway, might still get a shard so I can do a proper comparison.  (Then an Atwood prybaby if I ever have the cash!  :drool: )

The TaoBar has now taken up residence in my EDC, along with my Squirt

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Re: NexTool TaoBar pry bat and package opener
Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 11:12:13 PM
Interesting one :) Certainly looks pocket sized.

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 06:32:18 PM
I like how it looks, and that the blade locks. Is it sharpened under where it says Taobar, or just in the hook?

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 07:02:00 PM
It is sharp on the curved part too.  It's pretty sharp out of the box, but I tried to make it sharper and probably dulled it somewhat with my first attempt --- but I seem to be improving on the sharpening now.  It now lives next to my PS4 Squirt --- they make a nice couple!  :drink:

Offline lipoff

Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 09:19:57 AM
So I thought about getting one of these, and I handled one in a store for a while.  I found the pry-bar felt too flimsy, and I didn't like how it opens like a "V" from the middle, instead of like an "L" from one end.  I think it would okay if you detach it from a keychain, or if you only have one or two other items on a keychain, but not okay if on a full keychain like mine.  I did like the "package opener" end.

Instead, I bought the NexTool TaoTool S, which has exactly the same "package opener" type end, but opens up like an "L" so it's usable while still attached to my keychain.  It doesn't have the pry bar or bottle opener of the Nextool TaoBar though, although it does have a locking blade.

Also, note that unlike say the package opener on the Gerber Dime, neither has a sharp, pointy tip for piercing blister packs.  It works great on envelopes, tape, and even cardboard, without danger to your fingers or the contents of the package, but there has to be an opening to get the tip into.  And tape residue doesn't stick to the blade, which is great.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%