Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Interesting gadget/tool

Offline stugumby

Interesting gadget/tool
on: July 10, 2020, 11:29:49 PM
https://www.baladeo.com/en/edc/id134-multifunction-tool-phone-holder

Just got one of these in, is actually kinda handy, it prys and pulls and can open paint can etc and is also a phone holder. Phone holder slot wont work with a thick cased phone however. Still not bad for a few bucks. The supposed box opener has a mini recessed cord cutter, but the flat tip end does the box tape better.

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Interesting gadget/tool
Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 04:39:51 PM
That actually looked like a handy OPT, thanks for sharing :cheers:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

Offline lipoff

Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 01:08:59 AM
So I have one of these and I like it a lot, although it's not perfect.  (And apologies for the poor lighting on this quick photograph!)

First the good:

It's a good size.  It's 75mm from nose to tail, although because of where the lanyard hole sits, it acts more like a 65mm tool on my keychain, which is perfect for me.  It's titanium and very light and quite thin.  (Maybe a little bit too thin, but I'd prefer too thin than too thick!)

And it has a good mix of tools.  There's a decent flathead screwdriver, which is angled enough to get acceptable purchase on some Phillips screws.  The caplifter works, the pry tip works, the 3cm ruler is accurate, there's a nicely textured gripping surface on one side, the "rope cutter" (they call it a carton box cutter, but I agree that the pry tip or screwdriver tip is better for cutting tape) is sufficiently recessed to be quite safe for pocket carry and I suspect no security agent would look twice at it, and perhaps most importantly for this tool, the phone holder also really works.  The gap is 9mm wide, and that's plenty for either of my phones, even with a thin case around one.  Your mileage may vary.  All by itself I can hold my phone in the landscape orientation, but with the additional weight of my keys attached, I can actually hold it in portrait orientation as well, which is perfect for a Zoom call.

There are a variety of single-purpose keychain phone holders available, and some card-sized phone holders, but with the exception of the discontinued, difficult to find and not very durable Choicee X Triples S Key, I have not run across any phone holders that serve other functions as well.  (The Choicee X Triples S Key is very innovative, by using the earphone jack as an attachment point, but that requires the phone to have an earphone jack, won't work with even the thinnest case attached and can only hold the phone in landscape mode).  Anyway, as I like items on my keychain to serve multiple functions, I was very excited to find this tool, which I first saw at a retail store here in Singapore and snapped up immediately.

The tool is not perfect.  I would personally swap the positions of the bottle opener and the phone holder, making the latter easier to use while attached to the keychain.  (It can still be used now, even with many items on the keychain, but just with a modicum of extra effort to position everything).  It only has a metric ruler; a one-inch ruler could be engraved on the opposite side.  It would also be nice if the bottle opener had a 1/4" hex profile.  The "rope cutter" could be better; more like the carton opener it purports to be.  A 2.5 dimensional Phillips driver would be nice too.  I'd personally like 4mm and 1/4" hex broached holes, for which there is plenty of room.  Finally the tool is symmetrical about its horizontal axis; that is the pry-tip and screwdriver are not "chisel ground" but symmetrically ground, which I think is cheaper to manufacture but less than ideal to use.  For real prying, it probably should be a little bit thicker, unless it was made out of steel of the same thickness.  I like the titanium, and the finish is thoroughly reasonable, but not premium. 

Overall, it's a very good 21st century OPMT and I've been giving it lots of time on my keychain.
IMG_20210620_060219.jpg
* IMG_20210620_060219.jpg (Filesize: 66.19 KB)

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 01:55:19 AM
I'm a big fan of all kinds of keychain gadgets.  That kinda looks interesting.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD