Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Swiss Army Classic SD, replacement knife

Offline BGSUartist

• New User
I'm brand new to all this, so please bear with me.

There's a youtube video where they replace the standard blade with a spyderco that has to be ground down to fit. Are there good options for this tiny tool besides the one mentioned?
Not afraid to give it a shot, just need a good starting point.

While we're on the subject, can anyone recommend a good source for scales? Some of the prices I'm seeing look insane.
$70 for brass/copper scales for a 58mm knife that cost $15? And titanium is mind blowing.
Is this normal or do people really turn a $15 SAK into a $300 custom?

ca Offline Altis

Re: Victorinox Swiss Army Classic SD, replacement knife
Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 09:15:59 PM
I have no idea why you'd need or want titanium or brass scales on a 58mm Classic SD. They offer it brand new with the alox scales which are far stronger than what's needed in a 17g tool.  :dunno:

I haven't seen any blade replacement videos but not sure it's worthwhile either. I don't think there's much space to make it any bigger and it's pretty good for what it's intended to be used for. The 65mm Wenger models have a very similar blade that's a bit thicker and taller... it might be able to go in there, but then you could just buy the 65mm  :pok:

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Re: Victorinox Swiss Army Classic SD, replacement knife
Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 10:25:14 PM
There's a youtube video where they replace the standard blade with a spyderco that has to be ground down to fit. Are there good options for this tiny tool besides the one mentioned?
Welcome!   :cheers:

If you like the rest of the Classic SD tools but find the knife blade bit lacking, the best solution is to simply carry a stock Classic SD AND whatever other knife you like.

While we're on the subject, can anyone recommend a good source for scales? Some of the prices I'm seeing look insane.
$70 for brass/copper scales for a 58mm knife that cost $15? And titanium is mind blowing.
Is this normal or do people really turn a $15 SAK into a $300 custom?
There are some high end custom SAKs out there, though certainly not necessary for a user.  Did you have a specific scale material in mind?

This thread might get more responses in the SAK sub-forum.  Hopefully one of the mods will be along to move it  :pok:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%