Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is Spirit a left-hand tool?

Nikos · 39 · 4020

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Is Spirit a left-hand tool?
on: November 13, 2008, 08:12:46 PM
I've come to believe that the Spirit is made for lefties. It's not just that the main blade is on the "wrong" side of the handle (i.e. the one farthest from your thumb), but the (single) bevel on that very blade is also on the "wrong" side (right-beveled edges are supposedly better for left-hand use...) ???

scotland Online Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Re: Is Spirit a left-hand tool?
Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 08:23:45 PM
with the liner lock also being for lefties, I'm starting to get a bit suspicious of our swiss friends.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 08:42:29 PM
I would very much doubt it is.  If you look at the handles when the pliers are opened they look as though they are shaped for a right handed person.
I'm back!!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 09:34:41 PM
I've come to believe that the Spirit is made for lefties. It's not just that the main blade is on the "wrong" side of the handle (i.e. the one farthest from your thumb),

If you use that rationale, then all Victorinox knives are left-handed also.  Typically a slip-jointed knife will have the nail knick on the opposite side of the knife from the orientation that SAKs and the Spirit have.
- Terry

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 01:15:29 AM
I'm thinking the Vic boys show a definite bias towards left handers. (like me) :)  Best example of this is the liner lock on their one-hand trekker.

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 01:36:23 AM
Isn't the problem mostly caused by where the can opener has to be?  As a leftie myself I'm not complaining. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 01:45:56 AM
Isn't the problem mostly caused by where the can opener has to be?  As a leftie myself I'm not complaining. :)

Good man Gareth :)

Say, don't you agree that left handed people are generally more dashing and witty than rightys? 8)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 01:53:37 AM

Good man Gareth :)

Say, don't you agree that left handed people are generally more dashing and witty than rightys? 8)

Without a doubt old bean.  :D

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 02:01:06 AM
Isn't the problem mostly caused by where the can opener has to be?

On a SAK, most definitely.  That is also why the OHT has a "lefty" liner lock--so the large screwdriver, which also has to be on that side of the knife, also can have a liner lock.
- Terry

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 02:04:46 AM

On a SAK, most definitely.  That is also why the OHT has a "lefty" liner lock--so the large screwdriver, which also has to be on that side of the knife, also can have a liner lock.

:think:
Okay, I never noticed that....but why not simply put the screwdriver on the other side of the knife, along with the liner lock?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 02:07:57 AM

Okay, I never noticed that....but why not simply put the screwdriver on the other side of the knife, along with the liner lock?

Because then the can opener would have to go with it and end up on the wrong side of the handle.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 02:13:53 AM

Because then the can opener would have to go with it and end up on the wrong side of the handle.

Ahh.

Okay, I'll admit I've never used a can opener to open a can. :-[

Why can't it be on the other side of the tool?

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 02:16:45 AM
Because the overhanging part of the handle would get in the way of the lip of the can.  The can opener--as it is designed for a RIGHT HANDED individual--has to be operated from the 3 o'clock position.
- Terry

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 02:19:33 AM
The bulk of the handle gets in the way and hits the side of the can.   I know that is a bit vague but I'm not sure how else to put it.

NutSAK said it better.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 02:20:18 AM
Because the overhanging part of the handle would get in the way of the lip of the can.  The can opener--as it is designed for a RIGHT HANDED individual--has to be operated from the 3 o'clock position.

Okay I see that. (pretty obvious in retrospect) :-[

Um, if the can opener WERE on the other side of the knife, and ground properly, could it not instead be used in the 9 o'clock position?

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 02:21:16 AM

Um, if the can opener WERE on the other side of the knife, and ground properly, could it not instead be used in the 9 o'clock position?

Yes, but we are trying to establish the point here that, as it is designed, it is not set up properly for a lefty.  :pok:  :twak:  :D
- Terry

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 02:23:14 AM

Exactly right.  I believe Wenger did do a true left hander knife at one point but no longer.  The Vic Waiter can be used with either hand as the Combo tool has no grind and is in a single layer.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 02:26:13 AM

Yes, but we are trying to establish the point here that, as it is designed, it is not set up properly for a lefty.  :pok:  :twak:  :D

Yah yah, but my mind wandered off topic several posts ago :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 02:30:06 AM

Exactly right.  I believe Wenger did do a true left hander knife at one point but no longer.  The Vic Waiter can be used with either hand as the Combo tool has no grind and is in a single layer.

So lemme get this straight; as designed, right handers position the can opener at the 3 o'clock position, and left handers position at the 6 o'clock position. Both groups spin the can in a clockwise rotation with their weak hand while working the opener with their strong hand. Is that correct?

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 02:31:25 AM

The Combo tool is "krinked" to one side ever so slightly so that it works better from the 3 o'clock position.  Or, it is at least krinked that way to clear the main blade.
- Terry

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #20 on: November 14, 2008, 02:32:48 AM

So lemme get this straight; as designed, right handers position the can opener at the 3 o'clock position, and left handers position at the 6 o'clock position. Both groups spin the can in a clockwise rotation with their weak hand while working the opener with their strong hand. Is that correct?

I'll have to leave it up to you to tell me how the lefties do it.  And since you have, I can only take your word for it.  :D

I use it at 3 and spin clockwise, yes.
- Terry

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: November 14, 2008, 02:48:58 AM

I'll have to leave it up to you to tell me how the lefties do it.  And since you have, I can only take your word for it.  :D

I use it at 3 and spin clockwise, yes.

Okey dokey.

So from a design standpoint, Victorinox had two choices:

1) They could have designed the OHT like they did, so the liner lock on the knife blade (which gets used the most) was ass-backward for 85% of the population, or.....

2) They could have made folks using the can opener (a seldom-used tool) spin their can around counter-clockwise, which would have allowed the liner lock on the knife to be properly suited for right handers.

I for one am glad they chose option #1 :tu: :D

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #22 on: November 14, 2008, 03:02:08 AM
Keep in mind that the can opener on SAKs has ALWAYS been on the side it is on now.  I don't think they were willing to make a new part when the old part had worked great for decades, so they compromised with the liner lock.

Now, if you want to talk about blades that are in the wrong position, let's talk about blades that open from the inside of the handle of a multitool....  ::)  I have a much bigger problem with that than a "backwards" liner lock that took me 5 minutes to get used to.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 03:04:15 AM by NutSAK »
- Terry

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #23 on: November 14, 2008, 03:35:58 AM
I'm ambidextrous,  so I'm neutral on this lefty-righty thing.

I consider the OHT to be a somewhat left-handed tool.
Wenger NEW Rangers are easier to use in the right hand (the OLD Rangers are lefty, go figure).

The Spirit is about as ambidextrous as I am.
I can even one-hand open the blades with either hand.

R

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #24 on: November 14, 2008, 08:53:41 AM
Keep in mind that the can opener on SAKs has ALWAYS been on the side it is on now.  I don't think they were willing to make a new part when the old part had worked great for decades, so they compromised with the liner lock.
So you suggest that the position of the main blade on all past and present SAKs, including SwissTools, is dictated by the design of the can opener? ::) Anyway, this thread went astray many posts ago, as I was concerned with SwissTools being left-handed tools and not regular SAKs.

Now, if you want to talk about blades that are in the wrong position, let's talk about blades that open from the inside of the handle of a multitool....  ::)
Agreed... Knife blades opening from the inside are a showstopper for me too, as are also non OH knife blades. I'm just trying to give my Spirit some quality pocket time and things like this keep getting in the way...

I pondered on this blade positioning some more. It appears that by placing the blade on the opposite side of the handles than your thumb is normally resting, using the blade for precision work, such as peeling or scraping towards your thumb, is easier. When cutting the other way (i.e. away from your body, as in push-slicing paper, you regularly exert a much greater force and are much less worried for accurate cuts, so the actual position of the blade doesn't make much of a difference. Did that sound right? I wonder if Victorinox could explain the rationale behind this positioning. I'm sure there will be some very good reason (much like the "what with the reverse pliers head" issue) for this design decision...

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #25 on: November 14, 2008, 10:46:01 AM
Lefties rule 8) But yes there does tend to be a more leftie friendly air to SAK's :)
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

scotland Online Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: November 14, 2008, 10:50:44 AM
I guess they figure that Nutters buy more knives....

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #27 on: November 14, 2008, 02:04:35 PM
So you suggest that the position of the main blade on all past and present SAKs, including SwissTools, is dictated by the design of the can opener? ::)

No, I suggested that it is dictated that way on SAKs, not Swisstools.  From the ::), I assume that you think it is for another reason?  Have you ever used a manual can opener of any type that isn't set up for right-handed individuals to use at the 3 o'clock position of the can?  SAKs, mechanical openers, P-38s, P-51s, etc. are all set up that way.

The configuration also allows better access to the majority of the tools (large blade, can opener, bottle opener) for a right-handed individual.  Same goes for the position of the main blade on the Spirit & Swisstool.  It is positioned that way to have better access for a right-handed individual.  (hold tool with right hand, open with left thumb)

I agree with you somewhat about the blade grind of the Spirit and OHT's blade.  It seems that it should be on the other side of the blade for righties in a carving or shaving situation.  It wouldn't matter when cutting or slicing, which is what a serrated knife is usually intended for. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 02:31:21 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #28 on: November 14, 2008, 02:54:09 PM
From the ::), I assume that you think it is for another reason?
Not at all... It's just that this rationale reminded me of this... :)

As for the "better access for a right-handed individual" bit, I can totally understand what you're talking about; however, it makes no sense to me. Since you use a nail knick to open the blade, it could as well be the other way around (it's not an OH configuration). Actually this is were this all started for me. I decided to mod a couple of SwissTools I have lying around to make them OH openers and only then did I realize their blades are no good for that... unless I were a lefty.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: November 14, 2008, 03:13:52 PM
Not having a Swiss tool I can only talk about SAKs.  As a leftie I can assure you that SAKs are not better set up for us.  The best example I can give (other than the position of the can opener) is this: 

Take the SAK in your right hand with the nail nick facing towards you, put your left thumbnail in the nick and open the blade.  The blade ends up just as you would want it, facing outwards in a nice forward grip.

Now take the SAK in your left hand with the nail nick facing you, put your right thumbnail in the nick and open.  The blade ends up pointing back at you ready to poke yourself in the belly.  :(

The only tool on my Swiss Champ that breaks this rule is the bottle opener.  Don't take this post to seriously it's just that I have heard the "SAKs are for lefties" thing a bit to often.  :D

PS I know that this is totally OT.  Sorry. :-[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%