Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Great Chili Thread

Nix · 1158 · 33392

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: The Great Chili Thread
Reply #120 on: April 19, 2018, 01:28:01 AM
Chili tonight  :drool:

Tonight it will be in tortilla boats with salsa and sour cream on top

Uhhhhhh....recipes?.....pictures?........notes on effective antacids?...... :rofl:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #121 on: April 19, 2018, 02:20:32 PM
Chili tonight  :drool:

Tonight it will be in tortilla boats with salsa and sour cream on top

Uhhhhhh....recipes?.....pictures?........notes on effective antacids?...... :rofl:

first we'll have to wait to see if he wakes up... :D
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #122 on: April 19, 2018, 09:59:02 PM
what are antacids? the name would suggest it is some sort of ant acid but why would you need those?
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #123 on: April 19, 2018, 11:23:08 PM
what are antacids? the name would suggest it is some sort of ant acid but why would you need those?

Some people have been know to get a little upset stomach or esophageal reflux after a nice big bowl of chili.....spices, tomatoes, grease all culminating in a good case of indigestion. Especially if combined with a glass or two of red wine.

I have a friend who loves chili, but he almost always gets some indigestion afterward. He like Rolaids.  :D

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #124 on: April 20, 2018, 12:00:57 PM

Comes originally from anti-acids, just a shortened form  :tu:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #125 on: April 20, 2018, 04:08:34 PM
I use ALMAX for road trips with huge meals in between  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #126 on: April 20, 2018, 09:03:34 PM

Over here we have Samarin.
"Hoarder of weirdness,

hr Offline styx

Reply #127 on: April 20, 2018, 11:47:37 PM
gentlemen, sounds to me like you need some šljivovica. well orahovac is better for an upset stomach, but they can be a bit sweet

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #128 on: April 21, 2018, 12:10:22 PM

oh I wouldn't like to take that  :ahhh
Sounds too close to "Sarin"  ???
My toys:

hr Offline styx

Reply #129 on: April 21, 2018, 02:46:22 PM

oh I wouldn't like to take that  :ahhh
Sounds too close to "Sarin"  ???

you wouldn't want that to help with stomach issues

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #130 on: April 26, 2018, 02:44:12 PM

Chilli con carne
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #131 on: April 26, 2018, 05:52:56 PM
 :drool:
"Hoarder of weirdness,

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #132 on: April 26, 2018, 05:53:19 PM
Damn, now I'm hungry  :-\

:D
"Hoarder of weirdness,

hr Offline styx

Reply #133 on: April 26, 2018, 10:31:59 PM

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #134 on: April 27, 2018, 06:53:51 AM
Damn, now I'm hungry  :-\

:D

We put it in a cornbread pie to try out the idea shown here. Not sure to be honest. Was tasty but I still prefer it with rice. In any case it was supper and then lunch the next day. Oh and my system is still 'complaining'. :D
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #135 on: April 30, 2018, 03:13:19 PM
Looked like an excellent batch of Red, pomsbz:tu:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #136 on: April 30, 2018, 07:07:58 PM
Looked like an excellent batch of Red, pomsbz:tu:

thanks! :)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #137 on: April 30, 2018, 08:21:23 PM
I just got back from New Mexico, where I had some great red and green chile. I should have snapped some pictures for you guys, but I was too busy eating.... :facepalm:

In New Mexico, the red and green chiles are used more to make a sauce, although most places offer a bowl of green chile "stew" with pork and potatoes simmered in the green chile sauce. I didn't try that as I was too busy wolfing down awlsome enchiladas, tacos, and burritos smothered with red or green or sometimes both sauces together.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #138 on: May 03, 2018, 08:40:56 PM
I was down at my local pub at lunch time today. Got the green Chile stew. This has big chunks of pork and potato in a green chile sauce. I'm not going to tell you it's the best Green Chile stew I've ever had, but it's an old family recipe that goes back decades and it's the local version, so it feels like home.

Still,  I may need to try to create my own green chile stew..........

hr Offline styx

Reply #139 on: May 13, 2018, 11:30:25 AM
fresh batch is on the stove. didn't have mince so used what we call stew meat

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #140 on: May 28, 2018, 12:13:43 AM
It was warm enough today (75ºF) that I decide to cook outside. I use a little induction cooker with my cast iron enamel pot. Man, does this thing get hot!

Made up a big batch of chili with diced beef, Tex-Mex chorizo, and lots of beans (black, pinto, and kidney). I used some left-over chili sauce that I put up in the freezer over the Winter.

Smells great, but I haven't tried it yet. As they say, the proof is in the eating.......

us Offline Pacu

Reply #141 on: May 28, 2018, 05:49:18 AM
My wife makes some real good chili. Stuff is so hot i drink 3 liters of sweet tea by myself to cool my palate down.

I tried making chili once. Bought killed my sister and I back in the early 90s.  I was on a Rolaids drip for days. ::) ::)
:like:    :MTO:

hr Offline styx

Reply #142 on: May 28, 2018, 09:11:27 AM
that looks like good chilli

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #143 on: May 28, 2018, 11:59:28 AM
I put some in my chili recipe along with some red wine vinegar. I post the recipe later.

I've put a little vinegar in my chili as well. Red wine, cider, or balsamic. I think it can balance out any excessive sweetness when I add tomatoes.

When motivated, I make my own version of uncured Chorizo. I use Red Wine vinegar in making that. My homemade Chorizo is awlsome in chili!  :tu:

when a foreigner says that word, this video always comes to mind  :D

I even posted twice in that video when it was originally uploaded  :salute:
z = th, European Spanish, since it's a European Spanish item. The z = s pronunciation is as irrelevant as the Italian.

I learned that pretty quick, gotta say I love the local variants but never put it in my chili.

That being said I made a batch of mine and portioned it out to freeze yesterday, no photos sorry.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 12:00:33 PM by Whoey »
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

hr Offline styx

Reply #144 on: May 28, 2018, 01:19:24 PM
so you're saying i really ought to learn more than yo no habla espanol, yo soy un gringo?

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #145 on: May 28, 2018, 05:40:39 PM
My wife makes some real good chili. Stuff is so hot i drink 3 liters of sweet tea by myself to cool my palate down.

I tried making chili once. Bought killed my sister and I back in the early 90s.  I was on a Rolaids drip for days. ::) ::)

1. Pics.
2. Try making a batch yourself, again. Come to the Red-side, we have chili!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #146 on: May 28, 2018, 05:44:40 PM

I learned that pretty quick, gotta say I love the local variants but never put it in my chili.

Whoey, Texan/Mexican Choritzo is a different animal to Spanish Choritho. But......I bet they both work well in Tex-Mex Chili. Try it and let us know!

I'll say that the chili I just made (see above) with commercial chorizo (Mexican style) was great! I put up a few portions in the freezer for my wife to eat while I away later this week.  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #147 on: May 28, 2018, 05:46:13 PM
so you're saying i really ought to learn more than yo no habla espanol, yo soy un gringo?

Defintiely!

You need to be able to say "Una cerveza mas, por favor!"   :cheers:

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #148 on: May 28, 2018, 06:04:23 PM

Whoey, Texan/Mexican Choritzo is a different animal to Spanish Choritho. But......I bet they both work well in Tex-Mex Chili. Try it and let us know!

I'll say that the chili I just made (see above) with commercial chorizo (Mexican style) was great! I put up a few portions in the freezer for my wife to eat while I away later this week.  :tu:
There are several types here, personally I find it great on it's own. We also have chistorra which is more like a sausage version... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chistorra  :drool:
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #149 on: May 28, 2018, 08:39:58 PM
 :drool:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41