Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Great Chili Thread

Nix · 1158 · 31125

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: The Great Chili Thread
Reply #30 on: March 24, 2018, 09:26:34 PM
chilli is life, chilli is love
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #31 on: March 24, 2018, 09:42:56 PM
 :like:

Now, styx, when are we going to see a bowl of red in one of your posts?

hr Offline styx

Reply #32 on: March 24, 2018, 10:16:51 PM
hopefully next week. ashamed to say that i ran out of beans

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #33 on: March 24, 2018, 11:16:36 PM
Making a plan is the first step.... :tu:

hr Offline styx

Reply #34 on: March 25, 2018, 10:53:58 AM
one does not plan chilli. you do or you don't.
actually bean and sauerkraut based dishes are a staple in my household that tend to show up every week during the winter months. this past Thursday and Friday, we had pasta fagioli which is just beans with pasta. week before there was Szekely goulash (named after a Hungarian dude) which has sourkraut. after Easter we're looking to make sarma again which has sauerkraut as well

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #35 on: March 25, 2018, 10:57:34 AM
I love sarma. My brother in law was born in Bosnia and he´s an expert sarma cook.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #36 on: March 25, 2018, 04:02:19 PM
Some people view goulash as being a variation of chili. Or, rather, chili as being a variation of goulash. My Chili Cookbook includes a recipe for goulash, recognizing the similarities. Heck, goulash was a dish popular with, maybe invented by, Hungarian cowboys (cattle herders). After all, both dishes tend to be about stewing meat in a chile-based sauce. Usually with onions, garlic, spices, etc.....

The world turns out to be one big family of chili lovers. I say include posts about goulash here in the Great Chili Thread!

hr Offline styx

Reply #37 on: March 25, 2018, 05:20:59 PM
gulash is generally a way of making the "bad" cuts of meat edible and stretching limited resources. minced meat is often a way to use the "bad" cuts of meat. so you're probably on to something

hr Offline styx

Reply #38 on: March 25, 2018, 06:13:31 PM
when you watch an approach like the one in the video, you gotta wonder if that isn't more of a ragu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ3YO7ovPp8

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #39 on: March 25, 2018, 06:23:36 PM
My friends in Texas do a killer chili (literally), but I can never think about Chili without remembering this

“Recently, I was honored to be selected as a judge at a chili cook-off. The original person called in sick at the last moment and I happened to be standing there at the judge’s table, asking for directions to the Coors Light truck, when the call came in… I was assured by the other two judges (Native New Mexicans) that the chili wouldn’t be all that spicy; and, besides, they told me I could have free beer during the tasting, so I accepted and became Judge 3.”

Here are the scorecard notes from the event:

CHILI # 1 – MIKE’S MANIAC MONSTER CHILI
Judge # 1 — A little too heavy on the tomato. Amusing kick.
Judge # 2 — Nice, smooth tomato flavor. Very mild.
Judge # 3 (Frank) — Holy crap, what the hell is this stuff? You could remove dried paint from your driveway. Took me two beers to put the flames out. I hope that’s the worst one. These New Mexicans are crazy.

CHILI # 2 – EL RANCHO’S AFTERBURNER CHILI
Judge # 1 — Smoky, with a hint of pork. Slight jalapeno tang.
Judge # 2 — Exciting BBQflavor, needs more peppers to be taken seriously.
Judge # 3 — Keep this out of the reach of children. I’m not sure what I’m supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave off two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich maneuver. They had to rush in more beer when they saw the look on my face.

CHILI # 3 – ALFREDO’S FAMOUS BURN DOWN THE BARN CHILI
Judge # 1 — Excellent firehouse chili. Great kick.
Judge # 2 — A bit salty, good use of peppers.
Judge # 3 — Call the EPA. I’ve located a uranium spill. My nose feels like I have been snorting Drano. Everyone knows the routine by now. Get me more beer before I ignite. Barmaid pounded me on the back, now my backbone is in the front part of my chest. I’m getting red-faced from all of the beer.

CHILI # 4=2 0- BUBBA’S BLACK MAGIC
Judge # 1 — Black bean chili with almost no spice. Disappointing.
Judge # 2 — Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish or other mild foods, not much of a chili.
Judge # 3 — I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable to taste it. Is it possible to burn out taste buds? Sally, the beer maid, was standing behind me with fresh refills. This 300 lb. Woman is starting to look HOT … Just like this nuclear waste I’m eating! Is chili an aphrodisiac?

CHILI # 5 – LISA’S LEGAL LIP REMOVER
Judge # 1 — Meaty, strong chili. Jalapeno peppers freshly ground, adding considerable kick. Very impressive.
Judge # 2 — Chili using shredded beef, could use more tomato. Must admit the jalapeno peppers make a strong statement.
Judge # 3 — My ears are ringing, sweat is pouring off my forehead and I can no longer focus my eyes. I farted, and four people behind me needed paramedics. The contestant seemed offended when I told her that her chili had given me brain damage. Sally saved my tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly on it from the pitcher. I wonder if I’m burning my lips off. It really ticks me off that the other judges asked me to stop screaming.

CHILI # 6 – VARGA’S VERY VEGETARIAN VARIETY
Judge # 1 — Thin yet bold vegetarian variety chili. Good balance of spices and peppers.
Judge # 2 — The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions, garlic. Superb.
Judge # 3 — My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous, sulfuric flames. I crapped on myself when I farted, and I’m worried it will eat through the chair. No one seems inclined to stand behind me except that Sally. Can’t feel my lips anymore. I need to wipe my butt with a snow cone.

CHILI # 7 – SUSAN’S SCREAMING SENSATION CHILI
Judge # 1 — A mediocre chili with too much reliance on canned peppers.
Judge # 2 — Ho hum, tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of chili peppers at the last moment **I should take note that I am worried about Judge # 3. He appears to be in a bit of distress as he is cursing uncontrollably.
Judge # 3 — You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin, and I wouldn’t feel a thing. I’ve lost sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with chili, which slid unnoticed out of my mouth. My pants are full of lava to match my shirt. At least during the autopsy, they’ll know what killed me. I’ve decided to stop breathing. It’s too painful. I’m not getting any oxygen anyway. If I need air, I’ll just suck it in through the 4-inch hole in my stomach.

CHILI # 8 – BIG TOM’S TOENAIL CURLING CHILI
Judge # 1 — The perfect ending, this is a nice blend chili. Not too bold but spicy enough to declare its existence.
Judge # 2 — This final entry is a good, balanced chili. Neither mild nor hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge # 3 farted, passed out, fell over and pulled the chili pot down on top of himself. Not sure if he’s going to make it. Poor fella, wonder how he’d have reacted to really hot chili?
Judge # 3 — No report.

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: March 25, 2018, 06:29:16 PM
when you watch an approach like the one in the video, you gotta wonder if that isn't more of a ragu

One of the great things about the world of Chili is that it leads to so many arguments. Every chili fan thinks his or her chili is better or done "the right way". This leads to a great tension where people are pulled back to the origins of the dish, while still trying to innovate or adapt to modern tastes. I think this keeps chili interesting and vibrant.

We haven't even touched on "green chili" which is seen in New Mexico and the Southwest. My local pub serves a great Green Chile (I'll get shot at some later point) made from green chiles and pork. This style of chili probably goes back further than Texas Red. We commonly talk about "Vegetarian Chili" which obviously has no meat in it. But that's modern chili: a concept, a point of reference, a big bowl of comfort food!

In re your thoughts about ragu, I kinda agree (although I'm not a ragu expert.) In Cincinnati, Ohio, I ran across a dish called "Chili 3-ways" (or Chili 4-ways, 5-ways....). I expected Chili with various toppings. Boy was I surprised:

Apparently this is the way Greek immigrants liked their chili and it caught on in the local area. It's hugely popular there, now.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42 on: March 25, 2018, 06:31:14 PM
My friends in Texas do a killer chili (literally), but I can never think about Chili without remembering this

:rofl:  :like:

Chili doesn't have to be the Four-Alarm version!

hr Offline styx

Reply #43 on: March 25, 2018, 07:59:49 PM

“Recently, I was honored to be selected as a judge at a chili cook-off. The original person called in sick at the last moment and I happened to be standing there at the judge’s table, asking for directions to the Coors Light truck, when the call came in… I was assured by the other two judges (Native New Mexicans) that the chili wouldn’t be all that spicy; and, besides, they told me I could have free beer during the tasting, so I accepted and became Judge 3.”

the disconcerting part is that the guy was looking for the Coors Light truck. seriously?

now my 80 year old neighbour came over to argue spicy chili as well

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #44 on: March 25, 2018, 09:06:48 PM
now my 80 year old neighbour came over to argue spicy chili as well

Excellent!  :tu:

Finished up the last of my leftover chili for lunch today. I keep it mild for my wife's tastes, but I dressed mine up with black pepper and chipotle chile flakes for my lunch:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: March 26, 2018, 01:05:57 AM
Nice, Nix!

Gotta keep it palatable for the little lady here as well. I actually like it more flavorful and not "3-alarm."

Pic to follow, as I've got a pot simmering as I write this. Whole place has the aroma wafting through...

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: March 26, 2018, 01:09:25 AM
It's like staring down into a tasty volcano

2018-03-25 19.08.11.jpg
* 2018-03-25 19.08.11.jpg (Filesize: 385.45 KB)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #47 on: March 26, 2018, 01:33:46 AM
 :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: March 26, 2018, 01:45:32 AM
Nix is that shredded cheese sprinkled on top? That looks good. I've never used Chipotle, that must be really good

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: March 26, 2018, 01:48:14 AM
We need to find a chili to revere the way Linus reveres the Great Pumpkin. After all, this IS the Great Chili thread

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #50 on: March 26, 2018, 01:59:50 AM

Yes, that's a bit of grated cheddar. And, yes, Chipotle flakes are fantastic! You get some extra smokey heat from chipotles.  :tu:

But now I'm out of chili and that pot of yours is looking mighty good...... :drool:

hr Offline styx

Reply #51 on: March 26, 2018, 08:28:04 AM
being out of chili is a tragedy

england Offline Kev D

Reply #52 on: March 26, 2018, 12:12:40 PM
I picked up a new slow cooker yesterday, I feel a nice big batch of chili is on the cards this week to break it is nicely  :drool:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #53 on: March 26, 2018, 12:19:55 PM
I was going to cook chili, but having seen styx's post earlier I fancy some pasta e fagioli now. :tu:

hr Offline styx

Reply #54 on: March 26, 2018, 03:57:39 PM
just cooked a batch. now if only flickr would upload the pic

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #55 on: March 26, 2018, 07:16:36 PM
Does Chili Mac count? 'Cause I was planning to make a big pot of it on the weekend...  :D

No recipe here yet, cause I've not made it yet... It changes every time...  ::)

:cheers:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 07:22:28 PM by AlephZero »
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

hr Offline styx

Reply #56 on: March 26, 2018, 08:20:42 PM
Does Chili Mac count? 'Cause I was planning to make a big pot of it on the weekend...  :D

No recipe here yet, cause I've not made it yet... It changes every time...  ::)

:cheers:

those are the best kinds of recipes

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #57 on: March 26, 2018, 08:26:54 PM
 :D
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #58 on: March 26, 2018, 11:34:20 PM
Lynn, I have a vegan cousin who also has that condition, I'm sure you already know but ...

Just a heads up in case you didn't think these could come with E951   :salute:

While this is appreciated, I can't help but  :rofl:, because I can tell you the sweatener in almost anything because of my hubby's PKU. I can also tell you the number of grams of protein in almost every kind of food, because that's another source of PHE. I can usually look at bread, and know if it's a 4 gram per slice type, or a 5 gram per slice type. It is a ridiculous daily struggle to try to cook food that is within his protein limits, and i don't hate. LOL

This issue is also the reason I have 'Cheeseburger Wednesday', where he gets whatever for dinner, and >I< go get a big honking cheeseburger. I'm not vegetarian. Or... maybe I'm 'vegetarian' like 4-5 days a week. :D

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #59 on: March 27, 2018, 01:35:06 PM
Lynn, I have a vegan cousin who also has that condition, I'm sure you already know but ...

Just a heads up in case you didn't think these could come with E951   :salute:

While this is appreciated, I can't help but  :rofl:, because I can tell you the sweatener in almost anything because of my hubby's PKU. I can also tell you the number of grams of protein in almost every kind of food, because that's another source of PHE. I can usually look at bread, and know if it's a 4 gram per slice type, or a 5 gram per slice type. It is a ridiculous daily struggle to try to cook food that is within his protein limits, and i don't hate. LOL

This issue is also the reason I have 'Cheeseburger Wednesday', where he gets whatever for dinner, and >I< go get a big honking cheeseburger. I'm not vegetarian. Or... maybe I'm 'vegetarian' like 4-5 days a week. :D

at least we're lucky nowadays to have sweeteners of all kind sand styles for those with sweet tooth. For something typical of the USA, I like Sucralose, which we don't have here in Europe (except for a few places), and for a EU alternative I'm partial to cyclamates (which you won't find there) and Acesulfame-K.  :salute: 

Truth is Aspartame is being used less and less every year due to the huge controversy with it, but here in EU we didn't see it in almost any product to begin with.
Good to know your husband has someone to watch his back in case he misses something  :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%