Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Question about patents

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Question about patents
on: March 18, 2018, 05:49:59 AM
Bear & Son had the patent for all outside opening tools. This prevented Leatherman from doing the same with their PST.
What about nowadays?
Why can CRKT make the Technician? Does it not violate Bear & Son's patent?
Or SOG with their 2018 models. Ganzos are also all-outside tools. And countless clones. :think:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Re: Question about patents
Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 07:46:20 AM
Bear & Son had the patent for all outside opening tools. This prevented Leatherman from doing the same with their PST.
What about nowadays?
Why can CRKT make the Technician? Does it not violate Bear & Son's patent?
Or SOG with their 2018 models. Ganzos are also all-outside tools. And countless clones. :think:

In almost all countries patents have a limited maximum lifespan. Typically 20 years. (Often 25 for certain fields like medicines with the reasoning that they are particularly time consuming to get to market due to all the required trials and approvals).

There is also a yearly fee to maintain the patent during these years, and that fee is typically increasing every year.

And a patent in one country doesn't mean it is valid in another. This one is likely time related though.

Edit: It should also be mentioned that patent holders can loose in court. It is quite common that a patent which gets challenged in court end up loosing or having its scope narrowed. Bascially the court is saying that the patent should never have been granted in the first place, or that it covered more than it should have been allowed to.

Edit2: These is also the possibility that the others have paid or otherwise made a deal to license the patented technology. For many patent holders that is the intended business model in the first place.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 07:54:36 AM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 08:01:29 AM
Thanks!  :cheers:

I was looking at my PST. Bear & Son flipped the handles inside out, and made their Bear Jaws. I was thinking LM could do the same with a Rebar or something. Kinda how SOG made the PowerAccess.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 10:38:29 AM
In the 90's, IIRC, Victorinox actually purchased Bear and Sons for a while, just to get the patent and create their outside opening tool sets. They altered the tools and deploy method slightly and someone from Bear and Sons bought the company back.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 03:26:14 PM
We've also seen Gerber's sliding plier head design patent expire, allowing Leatherman to make the OHT.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 04:07:14 PM
what about compound leverage, is that patented as well?   ???
The concept, or only the name?   :ahhh

I have some Gerber loppers that uses compound leverage to double the force at the jaw... :think:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 04:54:10 PM

I have some Gerber loppers that uses compound leverage to double the force at the jaw... :think:
It is patented in its use in multitools by SOG
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 06:16:00 PM

They have patented certain technical implementations for compound leverage. Not compund leverage as a general concept - that existed in many forms long before their patent.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 06:18:34 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 01:09:08 PM

They have patented certain technical implementations for compound leverage. Not compund leverage as a general concept - that existed in many forms long before their patent.

OK thank you both
 :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%