Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The GLBM MultiTool Collection 2018

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
The GLBM MultiTool Collection 2018
on: March 18, 2018, 07:14:22 AM
Tonight I wanted to inventory the MTs in the collection. My list on the computer was obviously a few tools short, since it was last updated last year. I spent Saturday evening setting these MTs out and photographing them while I took them out to inventory. The only ones I didn't need to do over were the SOGs, since I recently photographed them together.
Sorry for the oddly blurry pictures. I did not realize the camera was focusing incorrectly until all the tools were put back in the MT cabinet. :P
Hopefully these pics will make some people smile. :D

I may need MultiTools Anonymous.  >:D :ahhh

Leathermans.
Leathermans by None, on Flickr

Gerbers.
Gerbers by None, on Flickr

SOGs
SOG Group Shot 1 by None, on Flickr

Victorinox.
Victorinox by None, on Flickr

Bear & Sons, Buck, CRKT, Workpro, Ganzo, Etc.
Bear Buck CRKT Schrade ETC by None, on Flickr

CHEAP AND CHEERFUL!
Cheapies by None, on Flickr

Beater MTs. These are extras I bought used so I wouldn't mind scratching them and doing mods. :D
Beaters by None, on Flickr

I tried not to have any identical models in the photos. Even the row of MP600s are all different models in the series.

Yes. This is how I currently spend my Saturday evenings. :D
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: The GLBM MultiTool Collection 2018
Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 07:22:34 AM
 :like:   :cheers:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 02:30:45 PM
 :hatsoff:
Thanks for taking the time to arrange everything for the pics. Your collection is awesome. 
:like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like:

I have often wondered what it would be like to live in the US and have access to all those stores, pawn shops, car boot sales, US ebay sellers, quick Amazon shipping... :dd:
It's tough to build a collection in Mordor.

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 05:05:55 PM
Add a couple of plierenches and your collection will be one step closer to completion.  :D :rofl:
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 05:50:16 PM
:like:   :cheers:
Thank you, zoidberg!

:hatsoff:
Thanks for taking the time to arrange everything for the pics. Your collection is awesome. 
:like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like:

I have often wondered what it would be like to live in the US and have access to all those stores, pawn shops, car boot sales, US ebay sellers, quick Amazon shipping... :dd:
It's tough to build a collection in Mordor.
You're welcome ans thank you!

It is very nice having access to so many great collector tools. I work in an antique store/fleamarket, so I have first dibs on a lot of MTs as well. Sure wish there was a way for international collectors to acquire these types on MTs withouy breaking the bank though. :cheers:

Add a couple of plierenches and your collection will be one step closer to completion.  :D :rofl:
I've been keeping my eyes out for a plierwrench, but they seem to be getting quite rare. But, one day I'll get my hands on at least one good example. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 06:06:47 PM
I smiled   :D :like:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 10:02:16 PM
A Sideclip, a Flair and a lot of other stuff - its a very nice collection!

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 10:55:13 PM
Impressive collection  :like: :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 01:00:54 AM
Nice collection. I have been on a sort of hiatus in regards to collecting multi-tools.. I see there are a few new models I may need to pick up, especially in the SOG section.   :tu:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 02:46:38 AM
I smiled   :D :like:
:cheers:
A Sideclip, a Flair and a lot of other stuff - its a very nice collection!
Thank you, CeHo! I try and keep the collection diverse as possible relative to limited income. :)

Impressive collection  :like: :tu:
Thank you, Steve! :cheers:

Nice collection. I have been on a sort of hiatus in regards to collecting multi-tools.. I see there are a few new models I may need to pick up, especially in the SOG section.   :tu:

Thank you, Chako! Indeed SOG has released some cool MTs lately. You may want to find a PowerGrab very soon, as they are already nearly impossible to find!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 03:26:07 AM
Uh... wow. That's a lot of MTs.

I counted mine recently, and realized I was headed toward a 'ridiculous' number. I have less than half the number you have. Now I feel compelled to go get more. Because I no longer feel ridiculous. :D Also, please feel free to send all those unnecessary extra tools you have this way. Happy to take that burden off your hands.

In all seriousness, working where you do is kind of a big advantage with this hobby. Very nice collection, I have moderate levels of jealousy. :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 05:06:46 AM
Uh... wow. That's a lot of MTs.

I counted mine recently, and realized I was headed toward a 'ridiculous' number. I have less than half the number you have. Now I feel compelled to go get more. Because I no longer feel ridiculous. :D Also, please feel free to send all those unnecessary extra tools you have this way. Happy to take that burden off your hands.

In all seriousness, working where you do is kind of a big advantage with this hobby. Very nice collection, I have moderate levels of jealousy. :D
Thank you, Lynn! :)
As long as you have a lower MT count, it is not ridiculous. :like: Similarly, as long as I have less MTs than Chako, my collection isn't ridiculous either (j/k Chako  :pok:).  :rofl:
On the plus side, MTs require little storage space and cost almost nothing to keep up(unlike watches for example). So, I maintain, MTs are a great collection focus.

I love my job and access to MTs and knives is a big bonus. I don't make much money, but since half of my MTs and knives don't cost much, it works out quite well. And, like yourself, I don't mind buying poor-condition tools and bringing them back to life to avoid breaking the bank. :cheers:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 09:43:42 PM
Happy to be of service.   :hatsoff:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

00 Offline txcache

Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 09:08:29 AM
 :like: wow!!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 02:30:56 PM

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 30, 2018, 11:05:39 AM
 :like: :like: :like:
THAT is a big stash!!

Actually i can feel you for the MPs.. There's sooo many different variants. All look pretty much the same.. My wife can never understand that..
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 02:07:46 PM by Sam Lim »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: March 30, 2018, 02:23:23 PM
THAT is a big stash!!

Actually i can feel you for the MPs.. There's sooo many different variants. All look pretty much the same.. My wife can never understand that..
Thank you, Sam!

Indeed, the MP stuff is impossible to explain to non-MT- people.  :rofl:
I told myself at one time I wasn't going to collect variants, and well; you can see how well that is working out. :ahhh

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: March 30, 2018, 02:57:00 PM
THAT is a big stash!!

Thank you, Sam!

Indeed, the MP stuff is impossible to explain to non-MT- people.  :rofl:
I told myself at one time I wasn't going to collect variants, and well; you can see how well that is working out. :ahhh

Lol.. Yes you are doing great on the variants. Keep that up!  :rofl:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: March 30, 2018, 11:28:18 PM
 :facepalm:
It started with the MP4/6**s, then the PSTs, and now early MPs.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: March 31, 2018, 09:55:48 AM
 :like: Very nice collection :)

I might use the pictures for defensive purposes if someone claims that I have too many tools... :D (Of course not - one can't have too many tools! Apparently the same logic goes for shoes. :D)

Is that tiny tool in the middle of one of those pictures a micro Buck? It seems really small - is it usable too?
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: March 31, 2018, 03:01:43 PM
:like: Very nice collection :)

I might use the pictures for defensive purposes if someone claims that I have too many tools... :D (Of course not - one can't have too many tools! Apparently the same logic goes for shoes. :D)

Is that tiny tool in the middle of one of those pictures a micro Buck? It seems really small - is it usable too?
Thank you, Vidar!
Showing the pics of my collection should work. Similarly I can show pictures of Chako's collection if someone says I have too many. :rofl:
MTs and knives (tools) in general are a very good thing to collect. They look good, hokd their value, and are useful (unlike some collectibles).
You're right. It is a Buck BuckTool 350 keychain tool. It is usable in the sense a Vic classic is useful. Some will find it very handy and others (like me) won't find it very  useful at all. When I bought it, I had no idea how small it was. I try to stay away from keychain tools, but still keep adding them to the collection. :facepalm:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: March 31, 2018, 03:51:47 PM
MTs and knives (tools) in general are a very good thing to collect. They look good, hokd their value, and are useful (unlike some collectibles).
You're right. It is a Buck BuckTool 350 keychain tool. It is usable in the sense a Vic classic is useful. Some will find it very handy and others (like me) won't find it very  useful at all. When I bought it, I had no idea how small it was. I try to stay away from keychain tools, but still keep adding them to the collection. :facepalm:

I'm more of a utilitarian collector in the sense that most things I buy have a special use in mind, and do get used. And tools more in general for me, not just multi-tools. Not sure if that qualifies as collecting? It sure adds up though. I did have a breaking and drive-in theft some years ago that seriously reduced the tool holdings. (Apart from smurfing big time in itself that also still sometimes have me looking around for something I knew I should have - but which likely got stolen years ago).

I'd like a tiny keychain tool if I actually find one that works proper. Micra and Mini-champ are the closest things so far for me but no pliers. The IDL T7 has pliers, but that lacks other parts. And either way I'd likely end up giving them away at some airport, so I might as well give up on keychain tools I guess.  :facepalm:

So given that you have such a wide range at your disposal I'm kind of curious - which ones do you end up using the most?

« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 03:57:09 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: March 31, 2018, 06:50:49 PM

I'm more of a utilitarian collector in the sense that most things I buy have a special use in mind, and do get used. And tools more in general for me, not just multi-tools. Not sure if that qualifies as collecting? It sure adds up though. I did have a breaking and drive-in theft some years ago that seriously reduced the tool holdings. (Apart from smurfing big time in itself that also still sometimes have me looking around for something I knew I should have - but which likely got stolen years ago).

I'd like a tiny keychain tool if I actually find one that works proper. Micra and Mini-champ are the closest things so far for me but no pliers. The IDL T7 has pliers, but that lacks other parts. And either way I'd likely end up giving them away at some airport, so I might as well give up on keychain tools I guess.  :facepalm:

So given that you have such a wide range at your disposal I'm kind of curious - which ones do you end up using the most?

To be completely honest, I don't use the keychain tools. But, if I were to pick one based on build quality and function, it would be the LM Squirt series based on your needs. They have a good reputation overall. The PS4 has a decent pair of little plairs and an o.k. set of scissors. Maybe paired with a SAK, it would cover a lot of basic needs.
Hope that helps in your search for a good keychain tool. :tu:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: March 31, 2018, 07:55:29 PM

To be completely honest, I don't use the keychain tools. But, if I were to pick one based on build quality and function, it would be the LM Squirt series based on your needs. They have a good reputation overall. The PS4 has a decent pair of little plairs and an o.k. set of scissors. Maybe paired with a SAK, it would cover a lot of basic needs.
Hope that helps in your search for a good keychain tool. :tu:

Maybe I should give that a second look then.  :tu:
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline gregpost

Reply #24 on: April 12, 2018, 05:00:59 AM
Cool thread. I like these group photos cause they show the evolution and also give a good size comparison between models.

You have a lot of Gerbers, I am still trying to find even one model I like. I have a sneaky suspicion I would like the 800 but it doesn't seem like Gerber really promotes it that much. I have tried the 400, I own the Octane and Dime, and handled a lot of 600 models and wasn't impressed with any of them.

I am starting a list of tools I would like to try or buy. It's mostly made up of Victorinox and Leatherman though. Good threads like this show more of what's out there.

Thanks for sharing the photos of your collection!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: April 12, 2018, 06:10:05 AM
Cool thread. I like these group photos cause they show the evolution and also give a good size comparison between models.

You have a lot of Gerbers, I am still trying to find even one model I like. I have a sneaky suspicion I would like the 800 but it doesn't seem like Gerber really promotes it that much. I have tried the 400, I own the Octane and Dime, and handled a lot of 600 models and wasn't impressed with any of them.

I am starting a list of tools I would like to try or buy. It's mostly made up of Victorinox and Leatherman though. Good threads like this show more of what's out there.

Thank you, Greg!
I cut my teeth on MTs using a Gerber MultiPlier (Mr. PINCHY) for eons, so I have a soft spot for Gerber. The MP-1 is probably the closest to a LM that Gerber makes. A very good tool for medium duty work. :)

Will definitely keep posting group shots in the future. I feel like you do about it. A great way to compare size and shape of different MT models. :cheers:

I forgot to post the updated SOG group here, so thank you for posting!

SOG MT Stable 4-9-18 by None, on Flickr

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: April 12, 2018, 01:51:19 PM

the 800 was my favorite Gerber for many years  :multi:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: April 12, 2018, 03:27:24 PM
TP,
We need to do a MP800 challenge at some point! I have never really EDC'd an 800.  :ahhh

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: April 13, 2018, 02:12:37 PM
TP,
We need to do a MP800 challenge at some point! I have never really EDC'd an 800.  :ahhh

I don't have my MP800 anymore...I was carrying it and it was stolen on August 2017  :cry:
My toys:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: July 16, 2018, 05:53:27 AM
Having mild insomnia lets me have a good deal of free time. I am still saving some money for a proper cabinet, but managed a rough count and inventory. I missed several NIB tools, stashed tools, and what-not. It was fun rummaging through some of the early collection as well.  :)

Just as much fun as a hot date. ::)

And just for fun, this(attached photo below) was my whole MT stable in April 2016. :ahhh
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 06:00:46 AM by gerleatherberman »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%