Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What do the Leap and Rev have in common?

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
What do the Leap and Rev have in common?
on: March 18, 2018, 08:19:03 AM
I just noticed this and it gave me a chuckle. Sorry if this is common knowledge. I just haven't seen anything about it.
Is the Rev a Kid's MT, because of this? OR is the Leap a serious contender for an EDC pocket tool?
I am not a huge fan of the Rev, because of the cheapened handles compared to the Wingman/SideKick, but I do like the Rev plier head better with the bypass cutter and having no play (unlike the Sidekick and Wingman). The Leap seems like a great pocket tool (not just a kid's starter MT), because of the pliers. Not to mention the great phillips bit and o.k. scissors.
What do y'all think about this?
20180317_230135-1.jpeg
* 20180317_230135-1.jpeg (Filesize: 134.55 KB)
20180317_230247-1.jpeg
* 20180317_230247-1.jpeg (Filesize: 74.43 KB)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Re: What do the Leap and Rev have in common?
Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 09:23:06 AM
I often joke about a Squirt pilers is already pretty good for most grow ups, I wonder why LM gives a full size pliers head with short handles to kids.

I tried Leap a couple days, other than handle being too short for its pliers, the tool itself is kinda chunky (thick) in pocket, I rather carry a heavier but thinner full size MT.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 09:24:20 AM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 10:47:50 AM
I do like the REV plyers but for the life of me don't know why they didn't include a scissors or saw. So, I don't own one. But you are so right about Wingman wire cutters. Junk.

Also, a child learns best how to speak properly, when spoken to with normal adult words. Same holds true for using tools. In my humble opinion, granting space for difference of opinion, Why even make the Leap? For me,  I would "give" my kid an older, used MT, but tell them it "lives" in my toolbox. But it belongs to them. They can use it when supervised by me, until I see them usin it responsibly always, at which point they are responsible enough for me to get them 5heir own toolbox, in which they can keep their own tools.

Then again, I learned to shoot when I was 3, using g a BB gun, and used rounded end scissors in kindergarten,  so what do I know.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 11:57:20 AM
I like the leap I got one for my daughter when it first came out I've never used it much but I have played with it and I do think it'd make an ok edc tool but opinions vary.

As an aside researching her leap is what sacked me in here.
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 12:42:20 PM
I like the leap I got one for my daughter when it first came out I've never used it much but I have played with it and I do think it'd make an ok edc tool but opinions vary.

I guess my questions are:

Does your daughter actually use the Leap?

About how old is she?

And ultimately, do you feel comfortable letting her use it unattended?

I suppose if the answers run "yes", "7" (or something thereabouts) , and "yes", then the Leap has done its job - made a child safe tool and one that will sear name recognition into the children from an early age.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 01:05:14 PM
I'd much rather carry the Leap over the Rev.  I have to say, the Rev is, in my opinion at least, not only Leatherman's worst tool, but I would go further and say it is probably the worst US made tool and a serious contender for the worst tool offered by any major brand.

Other than that it's ok I guess.....  :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline stugumby

Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 01:40:26 PM
Leap stays in wifes sewing box, she uses it now and then for her garden stuff too. I tried carry at work, handles cant take any hard gripping or twisting, blade was ok for openeing boxes etc. office friendly, good desk drawer tool. Also have the Rev, love hate just like the juice.Its kept outside in the patio bucket for yard work, opening mower air filter cover etc. grip is akward, drivers are ok, blades usable, pliers good for garden wire etc. Tinkering with idea of selling both off and buying new wave or charge.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 02:00:55 PM

I guess my questions are:

Does your daughter actually use the Leap?

About how old is she?

And ultimately, do you feel comfortable letting her use it unattended?

I suppose if the answers run "yes", "7" (or something thereabouts) , and "yes", then the Leap has done its job - made a child safe tool and one that will sear name recognition into the children from an early age.

she does use her leap, mostly for her arts/crafts projects.
She's a teen now, so yeah she's left play with her knives unsupervised, she is amassing quite an assortment due to her different outdoors type activities :)

I should have said earlier that i've never played with a rev so i cant comment on them.

It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 03:16:13 PM
I believe we have talked of the similarities of the Leap and Rev before :think: I also think it is in the MT Wiki in the related tools section for each respective tool :cheers: :like:

I gave my little girl the Leap a few years ago (she is now 9, almost 10) without the blade attached and she has never cut herself with the scissors or any of the Vic Classics she has :salute:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 05:04:06 PM
Personally, I think the Rev is a OK tool. I dun mind using it actually. blade doesn't deploy one hand, but many other MT doesn't do that either. Tool set are OK-ish.. Pretty light weight beater I would say. Handle splay is horrible of course.. I too like the pliers alot as compared to the sprung one on the sidekick or wingman. With little user alteration, It can be a good light weight tool.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 05:21:36 PM
I have to say, the Rev is, in my opinion at least, not only Leatherman's worst tool, but I would go further and say it is probably the worst US made tool and a serious contender for the worst tool offered by any major brand.

Def

nuff said

:imws:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 05:41:56 PM
Thank you all for the responses! I tend to agree the Rev is pretty bad, but in its' defense, it does have an outboard blade and good plier head. So, maybe not the worst? :think:
Sam, that is a great mod on the Wingman!  :)

Thanks for the insights on the Leap. When I think about an MT that can be thrown in my pocket, I didn't consider how bad the short handles may be. So looking at it again, that does seem to be a major shortfall. Maybe it would be more suited for an office environment since that is an issue? I surely wouldn't take it out for big jobs. I do like the little lock buttons for the four main tools though.  :)
I don't have kids, so buying a LM Leap for myself was the only way I was going to be able to try one.  :rofl:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%