Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Hunter XT

il Offline israelpiper

Victorinox Hunter XT
on: March 18, 2018, 12:02:26 PM
Victorinox Hunter XT

One of my favourite Saks. Solves the straight vs. serrated argument. I like it without the pick and the tweez. But I have no idea why a corkscrew would be on a hunting knife. Gut a rabbit out in the field, then cook it in white wine, opening the bottle with a bloody corkscrew. Would I want a phillips instead? No--my style of nature trekking doesn't require a screw driver. Just a knife/saw combo is perfect for camp and trail (with a smaller SAK for most bushcraft). I'd take an awl in that corkscrew slot, though. I wish they could get that orange down to a proper signal orange--bright and vibrant.

VERY sturdy. Excellent grip. Great utility even for those who do not hunt. Being a vegetarian/almost vegan, I go after herbs, stems, and roots, and this is perfect for that. I am curious, though, if any hunters here have ever made use of this model. Certainly it would at the least be a good back-up for a fixed blade. I hear that many American hunters did fine with just an old Buck 110--this is better even if it lacks the shear beauty of a classic like the Buck.

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Re: Victorinox Hunter XT
Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 12:06:07 PM
I agree, great knife, even though I do not particularly like the OHO blades. The corkscrew is a tradition on European hunting knives, very useful for the after party.

ua Offline LeaF

Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 12:44:06 PM
AFAIK, original Hunter XT was released exactly with Philips, not corkscrew.
Later on, it was re-released again, but this time with corkscrew. Unofficial name of this model is Hunter XT-CS.

https://leaf-vics.com/2016/08/460-hunter-ht-cs.html

https://leaf-vics.com/2014/11/250-hunter-xt.html

https://leaf-vics.com/2016/01/423-hunter-xs.html

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 01:03:02 PM
Hi Leaf, didn´t know that. Surprisingly the box with your XT-CS says XT.

Edit Oh I see it´s an unofficial name  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 01:05:10 PM by Ron Who »

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 01:06:26 PM
I'm a fan of the XS - I think an OH Sentinel would feel too skinny for me, but this is just perfect. I have saws on many other SAKs so I don't miss one here.
I really like the OH blades.
hunter-stone.jpg
* hunter-stone.jpg (Filesize: 154.4 KB)

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 01:50:02 PM
I've just-this-minute noticed that the scales on my XS are slightly nicer than the orange scales I purchased separately and later slapped on the side of a Workchamp....
Presumably this means the only way to get the smart silver-shield orange scales is to buy an XS or an XT!
WorkchampOrange-XS.jpg
* WorkchampOrange-XS.jpg (Filesize: 208.29 KB)

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 03:43:16 PM
I'm a fan of the XS - I think an OH Sentinel would feel too skinny for me, but this is just perfect. I have saws on many other SAKs so I don't miss one here.

I have an XS, and few Sentinels, too.  My saw obsession comes from my walking stick hobby. Even walking around town I see piles of pruning debris by the curb, and without a saw I often can't get a workable size to carry home. But the Hunter XS is nice Vic take on an old fashioned two blade pocket knife. Makes my think that the space for openers is obsolete for many pocket knife uses, or can be satisfied with a small key chain opener. But they are places for more small drivers I suppose.   

When I got both the orange Hunters, they had sat in shop windows forever. The fellow said everyone wanted one of the red cellidor scaled knives. People just don't think of models like the Hunters as Swiss Army knives.

Yes the Sentinel is thin and light. I want the model without the OHO, or the clip. It is a good knife for the desk top. I was suspicious of the knife at first, but after it held up well for a year, I added another for my emergency kit. 

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 01:23:29 PM

I have an XS, and few Sentinels, too.  My saw obsession comes from my walking stick hobby. Even walking around town I see piles of pruning debris by the curb, and without a saw I often can't get a workable size to carry home. 

You should post in the whittler thread here at SAK knight forum ! I want to make walking sticks and really would love some inspiration from someone who knows how to

whittled out of binary code using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 02:33:14 PM by stoneshank »

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 03:39:55 PM
You should post in the whittler thread here at SAK knight forum ! I want to make walking sticks and really would love some inspiration from someone who knows how to

I'll check it out Stoneshank--thanks. I'm not the most artistic. But, I'd love to discuss tools and wood. This site is so big I have yet to see it all. :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 04:19:59 PM
I was going to sell or trade mine till I reconsider and I'm so glad I did.  I've used mine for around the home and short hikes.  What a terrific knife.  Mine is the one with phillips which is nice.  I missed the opening layers at first but for what the knife is for me I reckoned they were not needed.  I can carry a Cadet or small SAK with opening layers if needed or wanted.  What I've found is this particular knife works well in many scenarios, outdoors.  A PE blade for what we all like PE blade for and a serrated blade for those materials SE blades excellent at.  Having the saw is what makes this knife work for me as all around outdoor tool.  I'm so glad I didn't get rid of it.  I also really like the orange on this knife.
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 05:06:00 PM
I also really like the orange on this knife.
:cheers:

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 08:45:44 AM
I was going to sell or trade mine till I reconsider and I'm so glad I did.  I've used mine for around the home and short hikes.  What a terrific knife.  Mine is the one with phillips which is nice.  I missed the opening layers at first but for what the knife is for me I reckoned they were not needed.  I can carry a Cadet or small SAK with opening layers if needed or wanted.  What I've found is this particular knife works well in many scenarios, outdoors.  A PE blade for what we all like PE blade for and a serrated blade for those materials SE blades excellent at.  Having the saw is what makes this knife work for me as all around outdoor tool.  I'm so glad I didn't get rid of it.  I also really like the orange on this knife.

I went from from "who would ever buy an orange knife?" a few years ago, so becoming very fond of it. I went through a period of bad eyesight, thankfully solved, when I could lose a knife right in front of my nose.  I only wish it was the full bright signal orange of maritime use. Bright emergency yellow, too. A real godsend in the outdoors with so many obscuring patterns. 

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 04:25:56 PM

I'll check it out Stoneshank--thanks. I'm not the most artistic. But, I'd love to discuss tools and wood. This site is so big I have yet to see it all. :tu:
Cool! I got this package waiting to dry up during winter. My plan was to learn to whittle while waiting for the wood to be ready to to turn into walking sticks. So any help/conversation is very welcome!

whittled out of binary code using Tapatalk

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 04:41:51 PM
Hm, all I know is plastic is conducive to mold! Maybe I am wrong but shouldn't wood dry in, you know, fresh air?

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 05:17:36 PM
Hm, all I know is plastic is conducive to mold! Maybe I am wrong but shouldn't wood dry in, you know, fresh air?
I made ventilation holes and other that humidity in the air, nothing really gets to it under the balcony above. Someone who knows more than me told me to do it this way so I got no real reason to what I'm doing how

if you're not good, be creative

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 06:54:05 PM
Cool! It will be interesting to see how it looks in a few months' time!

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 07:42:29 PM
Cool! It will be interesting to see how it looks in a few months' time!
You got me slightly worried and curious about what's in the bo.. wrapping now too!

if you're not good, be creative

fi Offline Gath

Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 08:45:32 PM

I went from from "who would ever buy an orange knife?" a few years ago, so becoming very fond of it. I went through a period of bad eyesight, thankfully solved, when I could lose a knife right in front of my nose.  I only wish it was the full bright signal orange of maritime use. Bright emergency yellow, too. A real godsend in the outdoors with so many obscuring patterns.

Could just swap on RescueTool scales, shouldd be a pretty easy job.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #19 on: March 23, 2018, 01:40:43 PM
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: October 25, 2019, 04:28:33 PM

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: April 23, 2020, 06:27:49 PM

Hunter XT reporting for duty!

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #25 on: April 23, 2020, 06:35:17 PM
That´s a nice one  :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: April 23, 2020, 07:32:30 PM
Such a cool knife. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Mcfal12

Reply #27 on: April 23, 2020, 10:52:16 PM
I particularly like that the saw blade is slightly curved.

Agreed, cool knife!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD