Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What have I become?

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
What have I become?
on: March 19, 2018, 10:49:50 PM
Mighty knights I call upon you brothers in Swiss army collecting advice!

I don't have the biggest or fanciest collection of SAK's but I find my way in life and are quite happy and content with my collection so far.. Or am I?!

Since I made my expedition I have no urge to rotate my daily carry and have no lust for new findings. I have tried to change and rotate so that no sak will be left out and be collecting dust but it just feels wrong and I soon end up with my expedition again and this calm feeling runs through my body.. Is this the end? Will it be no more hunt for that perfect sak? Am I supposed to make another one for backup and be happy with that?

If this is it, it does feel sort of anticlimactic.. Or do I have to wait until my life takes another turn and my needs change.. Time will tell I guess..

I have a feeling that I'm not alone in this and I think we should get rid of the shame and start talking about it..

Edit:I just remembers the sakmc thread.. And feels dumb.. We are already talking about it

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 10:51:11 PM by kottskrapa »

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: What have I become?
Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 10:51:37 PM
Give it time and it will reignite.

At least that's what I hear from some local collectors.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 10:57:22 PM
Join us over in the SAKMC thread and before you know it you will be wanting to carry a different SAK in no time :cheers:

:rofl:

It is great you have found a SAK you love :salute: Carry it as long as you can and if you feel lathe urge to make another then go for it :tu: No shame in being happy with your carry :like: :like:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 11:04:00 PM
In essence, you're technically not so much a collector. You're more geared towards practical acquisition it seems.
If you have been acquiring with the main goal being to find the perfect tool to use, then I can see why the hunt has fizzled away. It may or may not reignite though. It just depends if you get the feeling you're missing something in your toolset you use.

Collecting is a completely different thing. The biggest hallmark of collecting is acquiring with ZERO intention of using it.
Example: I have no intention of using or risking damaging over 90% of what I have acquired.

Consider yourself fortunate in some regards. :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 11:15:19 PM
It's cool that you have the model that works for you KK.  :salute: I know what you mean by that anti climactic feeling.  Kind of 'well, is that it then?' I'm going through the same thing at the moment.  I have my Woodsman and a couple of Alox's and a Swisschamp and that covers all I want or need. In one way it's nice to have what you want but in another way it's hard to maintain the interest. 

Pop over to the SAKMC - you'll be among friends there.   :salute:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 11:27:01 PM
Simply put, One of us.

MMMWWWWAaaaaaaaaaaaa

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 11:28:40 PM
Welly tools are meant to be used so in that way of looking at it I am not a collector but a user.

Thanks for the support and I think it is soon time to take a closer look at the sakmc club. Is there any time line before one can join?

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 11:43:49 PM
Go ye forth to the monastic realm known as the SAKMC. Dwell thee there with thy Expedition and contemplate thy perfection that thou hath wrought and brought forth into this world. Be resolved not to covet thy neighbor's SAK, not even be it a BYSAK of rare vintage. Find thy satisfaction in thy works and be blessed. For thou art now immune to the plague known by that most insidious name, ALOX POX, and Ye may walk the Earth without spending thy wealth and gains in indolent and frivolous manner, but rather buy ale for all ye friends and companions.  :cheers:

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 11:45:52 PM
Sound good to me!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 11:51:52 PM
Well I like shelf queens...

:dwts:

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 12:10:42 AM
Well I like shelf queens...

:dwts:
Nothing wrong with that!

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 01:26:16 AM
Collecting is a completely different thing. The biggest hallmark of collecting is acquiring with ZERO intention of using it.
Example: I have no intention of using or risking damaging over 90% of what I have acquired.
Yes, that sums up my collecting habits as well.

To the original poster, I can identify with you.  As of late, I've gone months without buying another SAK, but at times the force is strong and I get pulled back in.
Just bought a like new Picnicker (I have no intention on using), just yesterday.  :ahhh
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 01:49:21 AM
I’m both a user and a collector. Well accumulator... Most of the SAKs I have are never used... Except for the ones I mod...

I mod because I want the perfect sak for me, tool wise... And I have found it in my urban pioneer... But that doesn’t stop me from modding and collecting... I do it just because to keep the hobby more interesting for me...

:cheers:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline TennTexan

• Carpe omnia cultris
Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 03:30:03 AM
The biggest hallmark of collecting is acquiring with ZERO intention of using it.
I respectfully disagree... I very much consider myself a collector in that I seek out old/rare/discontinued SAKs, but have every intention of carrying them.  I'm the same way with firearms... no "safe queens," every one gets used... including the 115-year-old Krag.

While there are certainly collectors such as yourself who don't intend to use their knives--and that's fine!--I don't think you can lump all collectors into that category.
(\(\                                                                                ⁁ -----,__
( -.-)  o˫▄▄═ ‑‑‑-----------------------------------     _____⁁[_____}═══════
0(")(")    /|\                                                       /_____________\
"""""""""""""""""""I                                                ',(o)(o)(o)(o)(o),'

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 03:55:11 AM
TennTexan,
Honestly, at this point, there is no practical way I could carry every knife or MT I have.

I need to clarify as well. I carry some of my rare MTs, but they won't ever see real hard usage, so I tend not to count those as being utilized.  :)

If I pay big money for a rare MT, I need it to at least hold its' value. I don't sell my collectibles, but ya never know if you may need to. Once I scratch the blade or wear the driver on a $100 MT, it is automatically worth much much less. I could never justify this devaluation, as I have a great selection of dedicated "user tools" that are already used and can pay for themselves in usage with losing collection value.

Hope this makes sense!  :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

fi Offline Gath

Reply #15 on: March 23, 2018, 08:42:32 PM
Definitely makes sense, I have a brand new BO Spirit and some older, nicer alox knives, that I think last saw use opening Christmas presents, that kind of light duty. And that's why I recently acquired a plain steel Spirit to actually use, it doesn't really devalue, if it breaks it'll go to Ibach for a while and be worth as much as before. This is also why I prefer to only buy second hand or discount, I can't bear to actually use new expensive tools.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: March 23, 2018, 10:26:35 PM
Totally agree with the other posters, count yourself very fortunate that you are NOT a collector. That is a very lonely and expensive road to travel.
Not a single item of mine EVER sees use, not ever! My collection is more akin to a morgue with pristine specimens entombed in their coffins (boxes) Never to see daylight, never to see use. To remain in a youthful state for all eternity.

Now that's tragic  :facepalm:
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: March 24, 2018, 05:52:45 AM
In a way tosh it sounds lovely.  While some get great joy from using their tools I know to some extent the joys of ownership without using them.  I tend to buy with the idea I'll carry and use however I have my favorites so the idea is very short lived. 

I'm not sure if I get more joy from using or just owning as each have their nuances.     
Esse Quam Videri

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #18 on: March 24, 2018, 08:06:22 AM
Tools are made to be used  - that's their sole function. Each to their own of course but I think Tosh is right.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: March 24, 2018, 04:21:44 PM
What happened to me was seeing all the great tools on MTO.  I wanted to start my collection as did so.  Along the way I wanted to try each tool and did so.  What I realized early on was my Wave was just too hard to beat.  As for my SAKs, I found my Manager and that has remained my go to small SAK.   My journey with SAKs is still in progress more or less.  What I learned tho is I should not get rid of the ones I obtained because I have a habit of trying them again.  Case in point is my Hunter.  I almost got rid of it and now its become a really nice companion in my up and coming garden.  Case in point is my Cadet, Deluxe Tinker, 84mm Tinker ( which really changed my mindset ), Farmer, CT29 ( which I've recently decided to carry ), and so on.  While some tools may sit patiently and await their turn others see regular use or at the very least, occasional use.  I see myself as a collector or tools that will potentially see use  :D
Esse Quam Videri

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: March 24, 2018, 06:06:04 PM
I really like awl of the answers and points of views. Much appreciated and I think I'm quite happy with the fact being that I'm a user and found what works best for me right know and kind of looking forward to new challenges and a new hunt for what will work then.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD