Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Electrical work & SOG meltdown

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Electrical work & SOG meltdown
Reply #30 on: March 21, 2018, 12:38:42 AM
Amen!

I do carry a Non Contact Voltage Ticker in my EDC tools too though for use with standard full sized tools in that pouch.

Better Safe than Smokey!

+1
Those are cheap to get and very handy indeed  :tu:

Btw, that reminds me. I do have one from my Grand Dad lying somewhere. It's​ one of those where you need to put your finger onto the back so the current runs through your body to light up the glim bulb inside.

I wonder if it still works.
It's from 1935 but it looks like new.
Made in Germany....errrr... did they call it like that back then? Anyways, should be good quality.

Who wants me to try it out?  :D
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 12:40:24 AM by MTMatt »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #31 on: March 21, 2018, 12:48:06 AM
Amen!

I do carry a Non Contact Voltage Ticker in my EDC tools too though for use with standard full sized tools in that pouch.

Better Safe than Smokey!

+1

Btw, that reminds me. I do have one from my Grand Dad lying somewhere. It's​ one of those where you need to put your finger onto the back so the current runs through your body to light up the glim bulb inside.

Made in Germany....errrr... did they call it like that back then? Anyways, should be good quality.

Deutsches Reich.  :think:
(German Reich)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

hr Offline Vjeko Posavac

Reply #32 on: March 21, 2018, 07:46:21 AM
Amen!

Better Safe than Smokey!

+1

I use that old type every day (new of course  :P ) For me, it's far better then those non contact things.

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #33 on: March 21, 2018, 11:41:13 AM
SOG PowerAssist Meltdown
(Image removed from quote.)

Doing some wiring, and apparently I forgot to check the power.  Small explosion. Smoke. Part of the cutter melted, and there was molten copper from the wire all over. Which I sand off when hardened.  In the end, I have another insulation stripper built-in, though not where I'd want it.

On a different topic, what a difference under magnification is this SOG from my Victorinox multi tools! The finish is far superior on the Vic models.
I am glad you didn't ger zapped too bad! It is always a wake up call when you burn a tool up or get zapped for sure.  Last year, I was swapping magnetic balasts to electronic ones at my work and got zapped with 277v, because the fixture was wired to the wrong rail and I forgot to check when I thought it was off. Nearly knocked me off the 12' ladder. :ahhh

Now, about that claim of Vic pliers being "far superior". There must be something wrong with that plier head. It is common knowledge that SOG makes some of the finest plier heads out there. The rust and corrosion on your PowerAssist pliers shows general lack of mantainance. I have attached a photo of a PA along side Vics's main two MT offerings (swisstool and spirit). It is apparent to me that the SOG plier head finish is actually slightly superior. Not too shabby considering the PowerAccess is $30 less than the Swisstool or Spirit and offers some very unique features.
Sorry to point that out, but I don't like to see claims that have no basis in fact that could be read and taken seriously by future MT enthusiasts.
On another note: try contacting SOG about getting a replacement plier head. Sometimes they'll do that and sometimes they won't(sinceit's not a defect). Depends on the rep you get to handle it.
SOG plier heads are a breeze to change out, unlike the Vic (can't swap plier heads on).
 :cheers:

I ONLY made a reference to the finish of the tool at hand--finish and not performance, of one tool. This SOG was only a few weeks old. I am obsessive with tool maintenance, and still have and use my first Leatherman from over 20 years ago, and some pocket knives for over 50 years.

On this SOG, there was no visible rust or corrosion. Where I buy, the multi tools are always open for inspection, and the shop is maybe 400 meters from the sea. Too easy to take home problems with sealed blisterpack, and many outdoors people really like to inspect before purchase. Under strong magnificaton, I did see a few dots of rust inside the SOG letters. None of my other SOGS, upon inspection, had any rust. Maybe the jolt of electricity altered the molecular alignment--I don't know.

In anycase, I did remark on the finish of the tool in my hand, and made no reference to the utility of the pliers. I own five SOGs precisely because I like their geared pliers with the fine needle nose.     

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #34 on: March 21, 2018, 02:06:16 PM
SOG PowerAssist Meltdown
(Image removed from quote.)

Doing some wiring, and apparently I forgot to check the power.  Small explosion. Smoke. Part of the cutter melted, and there was molten copper from the wire all over. Which I sand off when hardened.  In the end, I have another insulation stripper built-in, though not where I'd want it.

On a different topic, what a difference under magnification is this SOG from my Victorinox multi tools! The finish is far superior on the Vic models.
I am glad you didn't ger zapped too bad! It is always a wake up call when you burn a tool up or get zapped for sure.  Last year, I was swapping magnetic balasts to electronic ones at my work and got zapped with 277v, because the fixture was wired to the wrong rail and I forgot to check when I thought it was off. Nearly knocked me off the 12' ladder. :ahhh

Now, about that claim of Vic pliers being "far superior". There must be something wrong with that plier head. It is common knowledge that SOG makes some of the finest plier heads out there. The rust and corrosion on your PowerAssist pliers shows general lack of mantainance. I have attached a photo of a PA along side Vics's main two MT offerings (swisstool and spirit). It is apparent to me that the SOG plier head finish is actually slightly superior. Not too shabby considering the PowerAccess is $30 less than the Swisstool or Spirit and offers some very unique features.
Sorry to point that out, but I don't like to see claims that have no basis in fact that could be read and taken seriously by future MT enthusiasts.
On another note: try contacting SOG about getting a replacement plier head. Sometimes they'll do that and sometimes they won't(sinceit's not a defect). Depends on the rep you get to handle it.
SOG plier heads are a breeze to change out, unlike the Vic (can't swap plier heads on).

I ONLY made a reference to the finish of the tool at hand--finish and not performance, of one tool. This SOG was only a few weeks old. I am obsessive with tool maintenance, and still have and use my first Leatherman from over 20 years ago, and some pocket knives for over 50 years.

On this SOG, there was no visible rust or corrosion. Where I buy, the multi tools are always open for inspection, and the shop is maybe 400 meters from the sea. Too easy to take home problems with sealed blisterpack, and many outdoors people really like to inspect before purchase. Under strong magnificaton, I did see a few dots of rust inside the SOG letters. None of my other SOGS, upon inspection, had any rust. Maybe the jolt of electricity altered the molecular alignment--I don't know.

In anycase, I did remark on the finish of the tool in my hand, and made no reference to the utility of the pliers. I own five SOGs precisely because I like their geared pliers with the fine needle nose.   
Thank you for clarifying! I had read it as you saying the Vic plier finishing was "far superior". I wouldn't have replied about the finish statement, except for your statement being that the Vic finish was "far superior". Using the entire tool as a comparison, then yes, Vic MTs are very well polished, compared to just the handles/pliers of the SOG. However, perhaps, this shouldn't be considered a "far superior" "hand finish" in the sense that the implement tools themselves on the SOG perform slightly better, because they chose not to polish the drivers to the point that they slip too easily (less bite). A lot of new MT collectors are bypassing SOG MTs, because of statements like yours about the  "finish" being "far superior". I wanted to express my thoughts on how fantastic SOG MTs are, including the finish.
I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. I merely wanted to make sure SOG wasn't getting an unfair wrap with statements that disuade possible SOG buyers from jumping straight into buying a Swisstool and becoming a Vic superiorist, just because they are over-polished and some equate that with 'better', when in truth, Vic's rounded over polished tools don't function quite as well as SOGs(except for the file. SOG really keeps making bes files )..at least that is IMO
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #35 on: March 21, 2018, 03:41:53 PM
Good enough. I own around 30 SOG, Gerber, Victorinox, and Leatherman multi tools. They all have their own characteristics. And we have our own preferences. And if I wasn't a penurious pensioner I would have called an electrician.

Actually, my favourite pliers head is the one on the Pocket Power Pliers.  Small, pointy, flat on one side, and precise. Great in tight corners and equipment chassis.  And light as a pocket knife.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #36 on: March 21, 2018, 04:14:53 PM

Actually, my favourite pliers head is the one on the Pocket Power Pliers.  Small, pointy, flat on one side, and precise. Great in tight corners and equipment chassis.  And light as a pocket knife.

for the same reasons, PPP is a favorite of mine!  :cheers:

And so smooth to open  ::)
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #37 on: March 21, 2018, 05:41:13 PM

for the same reasons, PPP is a favorite of mine!  :cheers:

And so smooth to open  ::)

If I could easily add in a little scissors, it would be even better. I love that it is non-locking--I can carry it in my pocket without problems.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: March 22, 2018, 01:37:28 AM
Good enough. I own around 30 SOG, Gerber, Victorinox, and Leatherman multi tools. They all have their own characteristics. And we have our own preferences. And if I wasn't a penurious pensioner I would have called an electrician.

PPP is a legend for sure! That is the only MT my father asked me to get him one after seeing it. And he has seen most of my good MTs. :)
30 MTs is a good collection as well. I also enjoy having a collection encompassing many of the big brands. :like:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #39 on: March 22, 2018, 01:57:53 AM
I was asking an electrician friend of mine if it was worth spending extra money to get a pair of linesman's pliers that were electrically insulated, even if I rarely cut electrical wire, and he said that you'll never know when you'll accidentally cut into an electrified wire.

This is the model I'm looking at, which are Knipex 8" Combination pliers. For general use, the combination/engineer's style with gripping channel is far superior than the standard "New England Style" made by American companies.

And a voltage tester is a good suggestion as well.  My first knife, a Schrade 34OT bears the scars of my granddad making a similar mistake when it was his EDC some 20 years ago. It is always a good idea to ensure everything's disconnected before getting into wiring. I've learned the hard way with 17-24 AC and DC model railroad track voltage.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 02:02:27 AM by cody6268 »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: March 22, 2018, 03:38:32 AM
Those Knipex pliers look great, but high voltage rated handles are for protecting the user really. I use the $5 harbor freight high voltage pliers on the 277v at work. If I burn them up, I am only out $5. The cutting and gripping sections function very well also. https://m.harborfreight.com/8-inch-long-nose-high-voltage-insulated-pliers-96906.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided

Just an alternative for us cheap and cheerful fans. :D

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #41 on: March 22, 2018, 11:13:15 AM
I am definitely going to get a decent pair of electrician's pliers, and a tester. Like many casual home owner tinkerers, I had thought that I'd checked the power already. Pros are more likely not to be mistaken, and, to have the proper tools and protection.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #42 on: March 24, 2018, 01:11:37 AM
I can't believe I just did that.  :oops:  I was replacing the batteries in a mobility scooter which uses 2 deep cycle batteries.  This is what happens when you accidentally bridge the positive terminal of the battery on the left to the negative terminal of the battery on the right.  It just had to be with my favorite Vic Spirit too. :rant: :facepalm:
P1120057.JPG
* P1120057.JPG (Filesize: 133.92 KB)

us Offline cody6268

Reply #43 on: March 24, 2018, 01:43:41 AM
I think someone could get rich if they made an insulated MT, but I think that would be hard to do due to the whole folding thingy, which might compromise the electrical insulation. It would have to be a blade exchanger setup just like the old ones popular before the 1950s.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #45 on: March 24, 2018, 03:56:02 AM
Dang, Alan!  Sorry 'bout that!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: March 24, 2018, 04:04:16 AM
I think someone could get rich if they made an insulated MT, but I think that would be hard to do due to the whole folding thingy, which might compromise the electrical insulation. It would have to be a blade exchanger setup just like the old ones popular before the 1950s.

Gerber Radius comes to mind. Handles are plastic with no metal pieces conducting the electricity to the handles. :)
The Radius is pretty awful though.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: March 24, 2018, 09:26:16 AM

All hail the hook!

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: March 24, 2018, 09:37:44 AM
I can't believe I just did that.  :oops:  I was replacing the batteries in a mobility scooter which uses 2 deep cycle batteries.  This is what happens when you accidentally bridge the positive terminal of the battery on the left to the negative terminal of the battery on the right.  It just had to be with my favorite Vic Spirit too. :rant: :facepalm:

:drool:

NOW you can use it without hesitation.

hr Offline Vjeko Posavac

Reply #49 on: March 24, 2018, 10:24:10 AM

:ahhh :ahhh Why did you do that? Don't do that, it's not smart thing to do  :whistle: :rofl:
It's not a problem, chicks dig scars!  8)

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #50 on: March 24, 2018, 11:21:06 AM

Well... now it has spirit character!  :whistle:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: March 24, 2018, 11:28:00 AM
Just got back on this thread.

Do NOT buy just the universal pliers.
They are horrible compared to regular side cutting pliers.
You'll never be able to cut a wire close to the ground for example.
You can buy a set of 2, but not the universal one by itself.
Cutting is not it's primairy use... at all.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #52 on: March 24, 2018, 12:23:27 PM

What he said  :tu:

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #53 on: March 24, 2018, 05:44:03 PM
Bummer! Guess who has not been paying attention!!!
Spirit now has battle scars with story to tell!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #54 on: March 24, 2018, 05:48:28 PM

Correct, diagonals for cutting wires, also hang for zip ties.

The line man pliers are good for twisting ends of two or three solid wires together before applying wire nut.  Or cutting new cable off the spool.

If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: March 24, 2018, 06:15:44 PM

The line man pliers are good for twisting ends of two or three solid wires together before applying wire nut.  Or cutting new cable off the spool.

Believe the man!
He cuts wireloops all the time. :salute:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: March 24, 2018, 07:02:49 PM

Believe the man!
He cuts wireloops all the time. :salute:
Are those like eneloops?  :D

All hail the hook!

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #57 on: March 25, 2018, 06:15:09 AM

It's not so bad really.  I now have a nice, non-slip place to put my thumb. It's better than jimping.  Also, I think my Spirit is now magnetic so I can use it to pick up small parts. :cheers:
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 06:16:30 AM by Alan K. »

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #58 on: March 25, 2018, 11:01:37 PM

It's not so bad really.  I now have a nice, non-slip place to put my thumb. It's better than jimping.  Also, I think my Spirit is now magnetic so I can use it to pick up small parts. :cheers:

That's great! May have to try it with mine :rofl:

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: March 28, 2018, 04:39:47 AM
Those Knipex pliers look great, but high voltage rated handles are for protecting the user really. I use the $5 harbor freight high voltage pliers on the 277v at work. If I burn them up, I am only out $5. The cutting and gripping sections function very well also. https://m.harborfreight.com/8-inch-long-nose-high-voltage-insulated-pliers-96906.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided

Just an alternative for us cheap and cheerful fans. :D

Good to know that the HF pliers cut well. I had a pair of their regular lineman pliers and they couldn't cut for squat..
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD