Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How do the 111mm Victorinox's ride in your front right pocket without clips?

evh · 20 · 1115

us Offline evh

Hi,

I did some searching on this and didn't quickly find any answers on this. I am interested in getting a 111mm Vic that I want to carry in my front right hand jeans pocket without a clip or sheath.  My concern is how it will ride.  I don't want it to fall horizontally.  I am hoping that based on it's size and scale material that it will somehow "magically" ride vertically (or close to it most of the time).  I understand that there are many factors to that (my size, jean type and pocket design), but what are others experiencing?  I am mostly interested in the Sentinel or Centurion (thinner ones).

Also interested in comments regarding Sentinels with and without the thumb hole. 

Thanks!

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
In my experience it will fall flat.  You could use a lanyard tied to a belt loop to keep it upright without a clip - dangle it just above the bottom of your pocket.

The thumb hole is good, but gets in the way when using the other tools, particularly the saw.  Not a problem with the Centurion. :tu:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Or put a wallet next to it...

us Offline evh

Thanks for the feedback.  That was what I expected.  Darn.

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
111mm always falls horizontal if it's the only thing in my pocket. When I do pocket carry I use a long lanyard attached to my belt and stuff the excess lanyard next to the knife to keep it vertical. This also makes it easier to draw the knife because all I have to do is grab the lanyard and pull.

20180320_082743.jpg
* 20180320_082743.jpg (Filesize: 196.75 KB)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 04:35:33 PM by gene stoner »
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
I made this caddy for mine:

Works really well and there's space for a light and Fischer bullet pen as well. Knife stays upright and easy to retrieve.

This was a quick prototype. I'll probably make it a bit shorter next time around. And improve the finishing a bit. But it held together during a 30-day challenge, and is still going strong!

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
What is your reason for not wanting a pocket clip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline evh

Why I don't want a clip?  Personal preference.  I have been carrying knives for about 4 years now (love it! - so handy).  Well, it is one knife and a small multi-tool in the front coin pocket. 

Anyhow, I just don't care for a clip hanging out of my pocket.

However, having said that, I do try to mix things up and change things.  I can't tell you how many times I think I have found the perfect knife and then try a change and sometimes like it better.

So who knows, I may try a clip in the future and maybe I will like it.  For now, trying to go clip free.

us Online powernoodle

Just put it in your front pocket and don't worry about it.  I carried them this way for the recent 111mm Challenge, and it was no prob.  The thinner flavors are easier, of course.  Centurion for example.  I had no problem carrying like this, and my pocket also had keys, mini Sharpie and SAK with it.

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
I use a safety pin to divide a front pocket, which keeps a longer knife or MT vertical, much more comfy that way.  :salute:

(also keeps from having a bunch of dangling crap to deal with when you go to use it)  :P
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 02:51:37 PM by twiliter »

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
The only possible way for me to carry a 111mm in my front pocket is either by using a suspension clip or have other stuff in my pocket so I can hold the sak in a certain position (upright) within the pocket.

us Offline tommywp

I use a safety pin to divide a front pocket, which keeps a longer knife or MT vertical, much more comfy that way.  :salute:

(also keeps from having a bunch of dangling crap to deal with when you go to use it)  :P

This!!!! Best way I’ve found to pocket carry without a clip. Have started carrying my Spirit and PST like this and haven’t looked back. Sewed a divider down the pocket on a a few pairs of jeans, but the safety pin is easier and allows for easy trial and error to get the perfect size sub-pocket

us Offline Simyo

I wear khakis for work and it just sits at the bottom of my pocket.  The khakis have a loose enough pocket and I only have one or two sets of keys so it’s easy to grab since it’s the only non-key thing in my pocket.  Not sure how it is with the official Vic scale with a clip on it since I prefer tip up carry.

Offline Mattexian

I've used a wrist lanyard on the knife, with the knot tucked under my belt, to keep my SAK  of whatever size vertical in my pocket.  (I just realized I've been carrying a Vic 111mm SAK of one model or another, off and on for 30 years!  Can it really be that long?)

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

R

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?

This option works well. I did something similar years ago to carry my Swisstool. I sewed a divide in the pocket to fit the Swisstool perfectly which left the other half of my pocket for keys or whatever else I wanted. Worked very well, but for some reason I ended up not using this option after a few months.
I'm the milk man!

il Offline israelpiper

111mm always falls horizontal if it's the only thing in my pocket. When I do pocket carry I use a long lanyard attached to my belt and stuff the excess lanyard next to the knife to keep it vertical. This also makes it easier to draw the knife because all I have to do is grab the lanyard and pull.

My variation on the same theme. I wove a long lanyard with a knob at the end, which hangs out the pocket, or, is tucked up and under my belt. In addition, if I am sawing more than a half-minute or so, I wrap the lanyard around my hand in various ways which is more comfortable.  The lanyard is easily moved to any knife with a split ring.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 06:16:39 PM by israelpiper »

us Offline evh

Well, I ordered and received the "non-holed" Sentinel and I am sad to say I still have not found the perfect knife (I don't think we ever do, do we???)

Things I like:
- Blade (looking for a thin, long blade - main use is cutting cardboard)
- Size
- Weight
- Look

Things that I dislike:
- Scale material (too slippery, I am ok with plastic, I just wish it was grippier)
- Lanyard hole, a minor annoyance (if you use them - you like/want them, if not - they just get in the way)
- Liner lock on the wrong side - I did a lot of research on this prior to purchase and saw all the complaints.  I thought I could figure out a way to close it and I did, but it really hurts my thumb to pull it closed vs pushing from your right-hand like normal

So my quest will continue for the perfect knife for me...

-

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
so your verdict on the Sentinel is: "evh"   :rofl: :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
I have a Sentinel OH (without pocket clip).
It will fall flat/diagonal when it's alone in my (right) jeans pocket. When I put my wallet (Secrit card wallet) next to it, it will stay upright.
As an alternative I like to put it in the 3rd pocket. But it depends on the model jeans, some are not deep enough.

I do find it odd that people find the Victorinox liner-lock so hard to close right handed.
I depress the lock and draw the back of the blade against my leg to close it. Though it can be done with the hand only.
Perhaps it depends on the size of ones hands.

The lanyard hole can easily be filed down. I'm tempted to do so on mine.

As for the scales, I like them more than I thought. Previously I had the idea to replace them with the orange dual-density scales. Sadly, those have a corkscrew cut-out.
As an alternative you could try the Alpineer OH, this one comes with red dual-density scales and adds a corkscrew. This gives the option to add a micro screwdriver as well.
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

us Offline evh

Mactire404

I agree with your folding 100%.  Before I purchased it I thought I could find a way to close it one-handed and I do exactly what you do.  I pull the liner lock back with my thumb and push the back of my blade against my leg to close it.  It works, but for some reason that liner lock actually is tough on the thumb to do it that way.

I typically use slip joints (regular SAK's) and I close them all that way.  Cut whatever I need to cut - continue to hang on to it with my left hand and take the knife in my right-hand and close it by pushing the back of the blade against my leg to close it and slip it into my pocket.  Very convenient.  I think I would really like it if it wasn't a liner lock but a slip joint.   

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%