Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Has Anyone Purchased A SHINE HAI Multi-Tool from Amazon

us Offline tekin112000

SHINE HAI Multi-Tool from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XG7KNCB/?coliid=I2BNBBLCN4ZQ2B&colid=1RHFINRF48V2B&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

It seems to get very good reviews and it's only $14.99

It is the same thing as the HOFFMAN RICHTER HR-100 13-IN-1 MULTI-TOOL

I think I am going to get one just because I am curious to see what the quality is like

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: Has Anyone Purchased A SHINE HAI Multi-Tool from Amazon
Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 07:57:11 PM
I've had a similar tool in my watch list on ebay, but this tool at this price might be interesting.

However, points that give me reservations.
1. The theoretical carbide cutters are peened, not screwed, so not replaceable. There's also a fair chance they're not even separate pieces from the plier head, and all that is decorative.
2. Using backsprings as the backstop for plier heads gives me EXTREME reservations on a full size MT.
3. Regardless of how it's dressed, it's still a cheap chinese MT. The quality of the individual tools is going to be iffy at best.
4. While it has locking tools, so does the Mossy Oak, (reviewed here... https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75838.0.html) and the Mossy Oak is $5 less.
5. Also, inside opening tools. Not my favorite.

I would love to see someone else grab one and review it, though... :pok:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 08:05:50 PM
+1 on what Lynn said!

Tekin,
Maybe save the $15 and put it towards an MT that you may really want? If I could go back in time, I would have not purchased 90% of my no-name MTs and could have bought seven or more Leatherman Charge TTIs. :ahhh
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 08:48:59 PM
Plus the name means "DIE YES" in Japanese, so... Not sure I had a point there.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 11:18:12 PM

:rofl:

Not exactly a name that inspires confidence.

us Offline tekin112000

Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 02:25:45 AM
gerleatherberman you make a valid point. Collecting just for the sake of collecting is a waste.

Yep this product is cheaply made in Asia, very likely not close to Leatherman quality, but I ordered one today.

Maybe it will be good enough to keep around maybe it will be just  a cheap lesson to me "don't buy junk just for junks sake"

us Offline tekin112000

Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 02:30:14 AM
I've had a similar tool in my watch list on ebay, but this tool at this price might be interesting.

However, points that give me reservations.
1. The theoretical carbide cutters are peened, not screwed, so not replaceable. There's also a fair chance they're not even separate pieces from the plier head, and all that is decorative.
2. Using backsprings as the backstop for plier heads gives me EXTREME reservations on a full size MT.
3. Regardless of how it's dressed, it's still a cheap chinese MT. The quality of the individual tools is going to be iffy at best.
4. While it has locking tools, so does the Mossy Oak, (reviewed here... https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75838.0.html) and the Mossy Oak is $5 less.
5. Also, inside opening tools. Not my favorite.

I would love to see someone else grab one and review it, though... :pok:

Lynn thanks for all that. It will help me make more informed purchases in the future.

I will be sure to take pictures and create a simple review. I don't have much experience or knowledge but I will be happy to answer any questions you may have

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 03:27:05 AM
gerleatherberman you make a valid point. Collecting just for the sake of collecting is a waste.

Yep this product is cheaply made in Asia, very likely not close to Leatherman quality, but I ordered one today.

Maybe it will be good enough to keep around maybe it will be just  a cheap lesson to me "don't buy junk just for junks sake"
Hopefully it will be a pleasant surprise! Like I said, I would not have purchased 90% of the cheap ones. 10% were pleasant surprises. Always fun to be impressed with value-tools. :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 03:40:57 AM
I will be sure to take pictures and create a simple review. I don't have much experience or knowledge but I will be happy to answer any questions you may have

I'm thrilled to have someone else doing reviews on affordable tools. I often feel like I hog the Cheap and Cheerful boards. :D

As for experience and knowledge... well, you gain them both by doing these kinds of reviews. Also, we all use tools differently. I mean, one person may be thrilled with a tool, because it will cut open hotdog packages, and turn the phillips screw on the latch plate of a door, where another person is disappointed with a tool because it won't cleanly cut speaker wire, or move a rusted lug nut. YOUR perspective is just as valid as anyone else's, and I'm interested to know how it works for you.  :salute:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 09:46:54 AM
There are some diamonds in the rough, which will not be discovered if we stick to the major brands.
True, most cheap multi-tools are not worth it, but some are just fine.

I had asked about Hoffman & Richter MTs, and was quite interested in them, but decided not to pull the trigger.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 03:29:39 PM
 maybe it will be just  a cheap lesson to me "don't buy junk just for junks sake"

based on my experience,
the previous commenter's posts and experiences,
the looks of the tool,
the description of the tool,
and quite a bit more things, I'd say it'll be just that.  :P

Of course, your money, your choice  :salute:

I feel there's a lot of things that would be better to do with those, like donating to Mt.org and maybe getting a great tool on the monthly draw, or put that $ towards a better, trusted and known tool   :tu:
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 03:37:14 PM by ThePeacent »
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 03:32:02 PM
 maybe it will be just  a cheap lesson to me "don't buy junk just for junks sake"

based on my exoperience,
the looks of the tool,

I feel there's a lot of things that would be better to do with those, like donating to Mt.otg and maybe getting a great tool on the monthly draw, or put that $ towards a better, trusted and known tool   :tu:
Mt.otg? Whats that? :P :rofl:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 03:37:37 PM

based on my experience,
the looks of the tool,

I feel there's a lot of things that would be better to do with those, like donating to Mt.org and maybe getting a great tool on the monthly draw, or put that $ towards a better, trusted and known tool   :tu:
Mt.otg? Whats that? :P :rofl:

FTFY  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Offline lew

Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 03:52:50 PM
Just bought one.  Don't really need it, but it would be nice to have a permanent multitool in the car.  If it's junk, I lost the price of a burrito with rice & beans.  If it's OK but I don't want it, I can give it to my friend for his tackle box.  He admired my Rebar (he's not getting that).

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 07:16:42 PM
He admired my Rebar (he's not getting that).

Well, what kind of friend are YOU? :D

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 21, 2018, 07:47:28 PM

He never said it was a good friend :D

Thau shall not covet your friends Rebar  :P

Edit: I actually think I have one of those the thread started about. Got it as a thoughtful gift some time ago. I'll try digging a bit in the dark corners and see what comes up.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 07:49:46 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

Offline lew

Reply #16 on: March 21, 2018, 08:17:14 PM

Well, I admired his Omega Seamaster and he didn't give THAT to me, so no Rebar for him.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #17 on: March 21, 2018, 08:23:21 PM
Well, I admired his Omega Seamaster and he didn't give THAT to me, so no Rebar for him.

Well, see... you should have offered to trade him. :D

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #18 on: March 22, 2018, 12:06:56 PM

"Shi ne? Hai!" Die, right? Yes! ::)

:D
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

Offline lew

Reply #19 on: March 23, 2018, 08:48:57 PM
Mine was delivered today.  The first thing I noticed was  the nylon pouch: pretty good quality for a $13 multitool.  The tool itself is fat and heavy.  The quality is surprisingly good for a multitool at this price but not that great for a multitool in general.  The pliers are spring loaded and seem pretty good, but the tips don't match perfectly like a good Leatherman.  The cutters are separate like the Rebar's but pinned instead of screwed, and I have no idea how tough they are.  The knife blade is sharp but pretty short (2.25").  The Phillips driver is a cross between a #1 and a #2 and the 4 blades (right term?) aren't very wide.  There are 2 small screwdrivers and a 3rd, larger screwdriver on the end of the file.  The file would work as a nail file but I wouldn't try filing steel with it.  The "leather punch" looks like a fat, short, dull knife blade and in no way resembles an awl.  The saw is more like a short, serrated bread knife.  Probably OK for things I would cut with my Rebar's serrated sheepsfoot blade, but not for wood.  The can opener and cap lifter are piggybacked on one blade and seem OK.  Like I said, pretty good for a $13 multitool, but no comparison to a Leatherman or Gerber.  About what I expected.

What surprised me were all the glowing reviews on Amazon for this tool.  Many compared it favorably to more expensive multitools, some saying it is better than Leatherman, Gerber, and Swiss Army.  I can only assume this company has an aggressive online fake review program since no experienced multitool user would rate this tool anything else than "a good value for the price".  It's OK and good enough to be tossed in my console for times I don't have my Rebar on me, but these reviews have me wanting to toss it in the slightly larger console with the plastic liner next to my desk.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 08:50:27 PM by lew »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #20 on: March 29, 2018, 10:41:45 PM
Do you by chance have a scale that you could use to give an accurate weight on this tool? I'm curious how it compares to the Mossy Oak.

Offline lew

Reply #21 on: April 02, 2018, 02:13:59 AM
Do you by chance have a scale that you could use to give an accurate weight on this tool? I'm curious how it compares to the Mossy Oak.
It's around 10.75 oz.  Weighed it on an analog food scale so not exact.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #22 on: April 02, 2018, 04:01:16 AM
Thanks.  :salute:

The Mossy Oak was 10 oz. so seems like they're pretty similar.

I have to say, I am VERY confused why someone would make an MT with inserts for the wire cutter then pin them in place.  :think:

ca Offline Walley

Reply #23 on: April 02, 2018, 04:04:29 PM
I had a few tools like this when I first got into multitools.
I needed something for my job because I always seemed to need to have pliers/knife/screwdriver on my person to save me a lot of walking.
I was working in a hotel as maintenance at the time an I couldn't walk down a hallway without someone asking me to do something quick.
anyways, I grabbed one from a big box store that looked good and about $30 and it lasted me a month or so, but it had not bad pliers and a handy screwdriver showed me the potential. unfortunately most of the tools in it were useless and it fell apart in my hands one day when I opened it. then I bought another similar and it fell apart in my hands in less than a month.
the timing of it's demise was perfect though, because I was just given my own Lowes card and budget, so I went and bought a Leatherman ST 300 I had been eyeing for a while and I deemed it a work expense.
I've seen the odd off-brand tool that has some cool features etc, but once you go Leatherman it's hard to go back! I would be scared to pay under $50 for an MT myself.
it's like giving an artist a Q-tip to paint a masterpiece. with enough talent it can be done.. but it makes you work a lot harder and you will go through a lot of Q-tips by the time its finished. may as well just buy one good brush instead.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #24 on: April 02, 2018, 06:49:40 PM
I had a few tools like this when I first got into multitools.
I needed something for my job because I always seemed to need to have pliers/knife/screwdriver on my person to save me a lot of walking.
I was working in a hotel as maintenance at the time an I couldn't walk down a hallway without someone asking me to do something quick.
anyways, I grabbed one from a big box store that looked good and about $30 and it lasted me a month or so, but it had not bad pliers and a handy screwdriver showed me the potential. unfortunately most of the tools in it were useless and it fell apart in my hands one day when I opened it. then I bought another similar and it fell apart in my hands in less than a month.
the timing of it's demise was perfect though, because I was just given my own Lowes card and budget, so I went and bought a Leatherman ST 300 I had been eyeing for a while and I deemed it a work expense.
I've seen the odd off-brand tool that has some cool features etc, but once you go Leatherman it's hard to go back! I would be scared to pay under $50 for an MT myself.
it's like giving an artist a Q-tip to paint a masterpiece. with enough talent it can be done.. but it makes you work a lot harder and you will go through a lot of Q-tips by the time its finished. may as well just buy one good brush instead.

There are some pretty good MTs out there for under $50. Both the Gerber MP400 and MP600 cost less than that on Amazon, and they're solid tools. And plenty of folks swear by the budget Leatherman tools like the Wingman. Though I haven't tried those myself.

us Offline Marcellus

• What does Marcellus Wallace look like?
Reply #25 on: April 05, 2018, 02:27:46 AM
83 reviews as of 4/4/18

89% give it  either 4 (18%)  or 5 ( 71%) stars

General comments include the following:   heavy, sturdy, durable. Alot claim it is going in the car. Most mention the price ( why not?)

For what it's worth

Offline lew

Reply #26 on: April 05, 2018, 03:26:18 PM
83 reviews as of 4/4/18

General comments include the following:   heavy, sturdy, durable. Alot claim it is going in the car. Most mention the price ( why not?)

For what it's worth
Do you have one?

us Offline Marcellus

• What does Marcellus Wallace look like?
Reply #27 on: April 05, 2018, 06:11:36 PM
83 reviews as of 4/4/18

For what it's worth
Do you have one?

No, I resist the allure of these tools myself.

However I understand the appeal to people less concerned with brand name, than our MTo members here, as we are much more critical of the
build quality, function, fit/finish, weight to usefulness ratio,  etc.

Does this product work out OK for many people?

Yes, I'm sure it does and the price fits their budget.  (89% of the comments were 4 and 5 as posted above)
I expect the 1 and 2 ratings were people taking a chance and were, yet again, disappointed due to high expectations

So there is a mutitool for everyone.

I did find the number of comments about " keeping in the car" interesting 

Offline lew

Reply #28 on: April 05, 2018, 09:39:27 PM
83 reviews as of 4/4/18

For what it's worth
Do you have one?

No, I resist the allure of these tools myself.

However I understand the appeal to people less concerned with brand name, than our MTo members here, as we are much more critical of the
build quality, function, fit/finish, weight to usefulness ratio,  etc.

Does this product work out OK for many people?

Yes, I'm sure it does and the price fits their budget.  (89% of the comments were 4 and 5 as posted above)
I expect the 1 and 2 ratings were people taking a chance and were, yet again, disappointed due to high expectations

So there is a mutitool for everyone.

I did find the number of comments about " keeping in the car" interesting
It's difficult to truly judge a product by reading reviews.  I have one and this is not a 5 star product, regardless of brand or price.  And yes, it's in my wife's car.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #29 on: April 05, 2018, 10:12:51 PM
I'm sometimes not sure people get what a 5 star review MEANS.

When someone gives a product a 5-star review, it means that it meets and/or exceeds all their needs, for the money they spent.

And herein lies one of the big blind spots for many MT.O members, in my opinion. I am SUPER picky about scissors, how precise they are, and how well they cut things that are probably beyond the reasonable use of scissors. But I ALSO understand that that's NOT what the average user is going to want or need. If a pair of scissors cuts paper, the occasional plastic tag on clothing, and can snip thread, most people are 100% happy with the function. They would rate a pair of scissors 100% that I would rate 30%.

That's the same way with EVERY function on a multitool. You can't hardly knock someone giving a 5-star review for a pair of pliers that have wire cutters that won't even cut stranded wire if the NEVER need to cut stranded wire. I have never met a pair of pliers on any multitool ever that couldn't handle my grip strength. And if that's all most folks expect from them, then they are 100% satisfied.

This means a tool is in a great measure weighed against the skill, ability, and need of the user.

Keep this in mind when you see that 5 star review. Why pay $80 for a Leatherman Wave when a $10 or $15 dollar tool meets all the basic tool needs a person has, at 1/5 to 1/8 the price?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%