Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Has Anyone Purchased A SHINE HAI Multi-Tool from Amazon

us Offline Marcellus

• What does Marcellus Wallace look like?
Re: Has Anyone Purchased A SHINE HAI Multi-Tool from Amazon
Reply #30 on: April 05, 2018, 11:01:52 PM
I'm sometimes not sure people get what a 5 star review MEANS.

When someone gives a product a 5-star review, it means that it meets and/or exceeds all their needs, for the money they spent.

And herein lies one of the big blind spots for many MT.O members, in my opinion. I am SUPER picky about scissors, how precise they are, and how well they cut things that are probably beyond the reasonable use of scissors. But I ALSO understand that that's NOT what the average user is going to want or need. If a pair of scissors cuts paper, the occasional plastic tag on clothing, and can snip thread, most people are 100% happy with the function. They would rate a pair of scissors 100% that I would rate 30%.

That's the same way with EVERY function on a multitool. You can't hardly knock someone giving a 5-star review for a pair of pliers that have wire cutters that won't even cut stranded wire if the NEVER need to cut stranded wire. I have never met a pair of pliers on any multitool ever that couldn't handle my grip strength. And if that's all most folks expect from them, then they are 100% satisfied.

This means a tool is in a great measure weighed against the skill, ability, and need of the user.

Keep this in mind when you see that 5 star review. Why pay $80 for a Leatherman Wave when a $10 or $15 dollar tool meets all the basic tool needs a person has, at 1/5 to 1/8 the price?

Exactly the point I was trying to make Lynn.

4 and 5 star ratings are harder to earn from people that run the tool through a series of tests before,  the coveted high rating,  is bestowed upon it.

Others  just think the reasonably priced multitool is just fine and dandy. It's a tool, not a lifestyle to them.

A multitool for everyone!

ca Offline Walley

Reply #31 on: April 06, 2018, 07:09:43 PM
It's a tool, not a lifestyle to them
I agree with that sentiment, and that everyone has different needs or expectations from their MT's.
just this week one of my co-workers offered to give a leatherman wave to another co-worker to replace his off-brand MT that he bought for $30 from a big box store.
after he tried it out for 2 days at work, he gave it back to him and said he liked his cheaper one better!
now, I think it was partly based on the fact that he didn't feel right about accepting the tool for nothing and the other guy wanted no money for it, but it was also that he never had a better quality tool and has become accustomed to what he has been carrying and it does what he wants it to do.
as for myself, I have much higher standards for all of my tools and once I determine that a tool is going to used frequently enough, then money is no object and I want the best and something that is going to not fail me for any job that I pull it out for.
I can wear out a Surge from daily use in about a year or so and anything built less sturdy is a waste of time for me.

ca Offline Walley

Reply #32 on: April 07, 2018, 12:57:47 AM
on the topic of review ratings, I think people get numb to it all anyways and only pay so much attention to it, at least I do!
I have written poor reviews before, said as politely and informative as possible, but rarely do they end up showing up on Amazon etc.
but every good review I have ever written gets posted asap. strange huh?
you have to take all 5 star reviews with a grain of salt and know there are probably many 1 and 2 star reviews that you will never see.
video reviews are the next best thing to holding it in your hand if done well though.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #33 on: April 07, 2018, 01:11:09 AM
on the topic of review ratings, I think people get numb to it all anyways and only pay so much attention to it, at least I do!
I have written poor reviews before, said as politely and informative as possible, but rarely do they end up showing up on Amazon etc.
you have to take all 5 star reviews with a grain of salt and know there are probably many 1 and 2 star reviews that you will never see.
video reviews are the next best thing to holding it in your hand if done well though.

I have never written a review on Amazon that didn't show up, and i write a LOT of low reviews.

I have seen low reviews on other locations disappear, at which point I never write another nor purchase anything from that place.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #34 on: April 07, 2018, 05:03:18 AM

Just a thought; are you only reviewing items you actually purchased on Amazon? I believe unverified purchase reviews are filtered by default. You can still see them, but the site hides them if you don't actually seek them out.

Offline lew

Reply #35 on: April 07, 2018, 03:43:41 PM
My Amazon account was hacked last year and when I recovered it, I couldn't find anything that had changed until I started getting email questions about reviews I had never written.  The hackers left glowing reviews in my name for obscure products I had never heard of.  Fake reviews are a fact of Internet life; that's why I value reviews about multitools that are posted here much more than those on Amazon.

us Offline Marcellus

• What does Marcellus Wallace look like?
Reply #36 on: April 07, 2018, 08:04:16 PM
My Amazon account was hacked last year and when I recovered it, I couldn't find anything that had changed until I started getting email questions about reviews I had never written.  The hackers left glowing reviews in my name for obscure products I had never heard of.  Fake reviews are a fact of Internet life; that's why I value reviews about multitools that are posted here much more than those on Amazon.

Fake reviews, interesting, like Fake news!

I get a kick out of real reviews, but you can tell,  the reviewer is basically clueless, so it eliminates any value for the most part.

This was an interesting subject.

ca Offline Walley

Reply #37 on: April 08, 2018, 03:56:39 AM
I've had it on amazon where I had posted a 2 star review but it never appeared, so then a day later when I went to look again and it was changed to "currently unavailable". which was suspicious because after a search I found the same vendor selling the same thing at a higher price in a new ad listing.
really though, I love amazon and have the most faith in them.
 the worst is Bang-notso-good, if I make a 5 star review it goes up instantly but anything less than 3 stars seems to evaporate as soon as you write it. and alot of the 5 star reviews you see there are suspicious " I enjoy my item, picture same." o_O
I ordered some pieces for a modular flashlight and they kept sending me the same wrong piece. (not that they resent it, I reordered it) they don't care at all, they will send whatever they have in the bin if they suddenly find themselves out of stock. you cant trust what the listing says about stock levels.
I never did get them to fix it for me either, I ended up just giving up on their service because they were so frustrating and I modified my parts myself to work for me.
I felt they had me at their mercy because they were the only source for the flashlight parts I wanted. and I HAD to have that flashlight how I wanted it! 
I've never had a problem with customer service with amazon though.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 03:58:00 AM by Frank Hackenberger »

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #38 on: April 08, 2018, 08:39:49 AM
Bgood is ok, gbest makes it really hard to post negative reviews
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

no Online Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: April 08, 2018, 09:03:56 PM
I stopped ordering anything from Bgood after they sent me some empty envelopes with holes in them.

When they get orders for sharp or pointy objects I would think it would be common sense to use a packaging that secures that. Instead they used big and thin plastic envelopes. There was probably some mail system or employees who got a sharp surprise somewhere, and I ended up without anything.

I complained to them to no avail, and of course I then wrote them a fire and grimstone review. That never showed up.

Edit: And I thought I had the knife mentioned in this thread, but after finding what I thought about it is smaller. Similar design features though so maybe from the same factory. (The one I have got okish quality but unnecessarily thick).
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 09:07:13 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%