Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sharpening help.

RF52 · 63 · 1597

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Sharpening help.
on: March 21, 2018, 08:38:45 AM
I'm thinking of buying something to sharpen my knives and MT's, and have been looking at Lansky's stuff. But I need a little help deciding. The options are their tri-stone benchstone and a blademedic or one of their controlled angle systems. Do any of you have any recomendations or pros/cons for any of these?

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Sharpening help.
Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 10:23:45 AM
Just got an angle system.

Not the real Lansky deal but it works the same.

So far I'm really pleased with it!
Works conveniently and some knives that never took a good edge, do now.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 10:31:54 AM
I find multitools and SAKs with small blades and heavy handles hard to sharpen on the Lansky guided system and have much better results freehand on a bench stone.  The Lansky works well on 'proper' knives though.

se Offline RF52

Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 10:59:31 AM
Then I think I will go for the freehand option, and it is also a good skill to know Thanks for your help guys

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 11:33:14 AM
Freehand sharpening takes a lot of skill and muscle memory and can look (from an aesthetic pov) a bit iffy too, especially if you're not that used to doing it - I've had a pocket knife since I was five and while I can sharpen freehand, I wouldn't say the results are consistent.
I'd invest in a Lansky guide system - just the basic one will do, but if you don't abuse knives too much and just need to touch them up from time to time get a mini Lansky Crux/Crock Stick, about a $8 at most - they're excellent for maintaining factory edges.  :tu:

Edit: Also Lansky guide systems can do small pocket knife blades easily enough, they have a little notch for them, that's what I use.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 11:41:20 AM by Fuzzbucket »

se Offline RF52

Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 11:50:33 AM
Freehand sharpening takes a lot of skill and muscle memory and can look (from an aesthetic pov) a bit iffy too, especially if you're not that used to doing it - I've had a pocket knife since I was five and while I can sharpen freehand, I wouldn't say the results are consistent.
I'd invest in a Lansky guide system - just the basic one will do, but if you don't abuse knives too much and just need to touch them up from time to time get a mini Lansky Crux/Crock Stick, about a $8 at most - they're excellent for maintaining factory edges.  :tu:

Edit: Also Lansky guide systems can do small pocket knife blades easily enough, they have a little notch for them, that's what I use.
Thanks for your input, guess I'll just wait and see what I end up with when I go to the store to check out the options there

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 11:55:14 AM

Thanks for your input, guess I'll just wait and see what I end up with when I go to the store to check out the options there

If you're going to the shops, avoid any of those plastic diamond crock stick thingys, especially the gerber one - they're horrible!!!  :ahhh

se Offline RF52

Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 11:57:21 AM

If you're going to the shops, avoid any of those plastic diamond crock stick thingys, especially the gerber one - they're horrible!!!  :ahhh
Thanks I have a sports/outdoors store I'm going to that have both the tri-stone and the guided system from Lansky, so will compare them and see what I end up with

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 01:01:49 PM
Check out the Lansky Turnbox it works really well to maintain a sharp edge. That and a benchstone or small diamond pocket stone is all you really need  :tu:

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 03:41:58 PM
I've sharpened my small traditional knife and a small crkt pilar on a lansky guided. Worked great
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 01:59:13 AM
the blade medic is good for touching up the edge after some moderate use, and good to have in a backpack, but if you need some deep work I don't think its the best option.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 06:23:50 AM
I'm a fan of the guided system by Lansky.  Lots of options on abrasives as well.  I also have the Turn box which is nice for touch ups but I use my Spyderco sharpmaker more.  Stropping is what I always go to first when my edges begin to loose their edge.  If after a strop session I find I need more then onto the ceramics then back to stropping.  If damage has occurred then I'll break out the Lansky.  I run a few compounds on my leather strops.  Nothing high end and nothing I cannot readily get from a home improvement store.  I know there are really nice compounds but so far I've managed to get by rather well. 

Many blades would do fine with some stropping to bring the edge back up vs an all out sharpening session.   
Esse Quam Videri

se Offline RF52

Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 07:41:46 AM
Thanks for your input and tips guys! Still can't decide but I'm sure I will end up with something good ☺

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 01:00:01 PM
I can also recommend the blade medic for occasional touch up (I have two, on two bags) but nothing serious (the diamond is really aggressive, the ceramic is about 1000 grit and leaves a good polish but has small area/surface, I don't use the pull-throughs, the BladeMedic is heavy)

The Turn Box is essentially a cheaper and simpler Sharpmaker that seems to produce good results for most people, I can't speak for myself because I only have the Spyderco SM which I use very often (my main sharpening tool)  ;)

On the go and when I want to carry a small but good sharpening system and not handle the weight of the BladeMedic I use small hones and crock-sticks sold by Lansky, this one serves for small, big, SE and PE knives, and the groove is for hooks, package openers or really small blades  :ahhh

there is aversion for Cold Steel's serrations also sold by Lansky but works for other things too. Both models are cheap (5-10$) and versatile  :tu:

these small ceramic and diamond plates are also handy to have and weigh little, they fit well in altoids tins, small sheaths or tiny pockets in clothes and bags

let us know what you finally get!!  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

se Offline RF52

Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 01:25:01 PM
I can also recommend the blade medic for occasional touch up (I have two, on two bags) but nothing serious (the diamond is really aggressive, the ceramic is about 1000 grit and leaves a good polish but has small area/surface, I don't use the pull-throughs, the BladeMedic is heavy)

The Turn Box is essentially a cheaper and simpler Sharpmaker that seems to produce good results for most people, I can't speak for myself because I only have the Spyderco SM which I use very often (my main sharpening tool)  ;)

(Image removed from quote.)

On the go and when I want to carry a small but good sharpening system and not handle the weight of the BladeMedic I use small hones and crock-sticks sold by Lansky, this one serves for small, big, SE and PE knives, and the groove is for hooks, package openers or really small blades  :ahhh

there is aversion for Cold Steel's serrations also sold by Lansky but works for other things too. Both models are cheap (5-10$) and versatile  :tu:

these small ceramic and diamond plates are also handy to have and weigh little, they fit well in altoids tins, small sheaths or tiny pockets in clothes and bags

let us know what you finally get!!  :salute:
Some good options there I'll see what is available and post it here when I get whatever I decide on

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: March 22, 2018, 01:34:07 PM
Pssssst

Online you can find some stores that sell a set like Lansky's.

They're cheap, they work, and they give you an idea what a Lansky is all about before buying it.

Ofcourse, if a Lansky system is affordable, just grab that one... if that catched your interest.

se Offline RF52

Reply #16 on: March 22, 2018, 01:36:13 PM
Pssssst

They're cheap, they work, and they give you an idea what a Lansky is all about before buying it.

Ofcourse, if a Lansky system is affordable, just grab that one... if that catched your interest.
Cool! But the Lansky system is quite affordable compared to other options here and I can just go buy it and not wait forever to get it

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: March 22, 2018, 01:38:47 PM
I just spent 1.5x the price of the original kit on the diamond stones........my advice is get those and only those......if possible.

........depending on the steel you're trying to sharpen of course.....

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: March 22, 2018, 01:39:22 PM
Pssssst

Cool! But the Lansky system is quite affordable compared to other options here and I can just go buy it and not wait forever to get it

In that case...

I'd say: get one!

You can even use the stones freehand if you prefer.

My copy works great so I can only imagine the results with a Lansky...

se Offline RF52

Reply #19 on: March 22, 2018, 01:41:25 PM
Pssssst

In that case...

I'd say: get one!

You can even use the stones freehand if you prefer.

My copy works great so I can only imagine the results with a Lansky...
It does seem like a great way to get good results and not mess up a lot in the process Looking forward to trying it

se Offline RF52

Reply #20 on: March 22, 2018, 01:42:40 PM
I just spent 1.5x the price of the original kit on the diamond stones........my advice is get those and only those......if possible.

........depending on the steel you're trying to sharpen of course.....
The diamond stone system or just the diamond stones?

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: March 23, 2018, 09:14:43 AM

Sorry, I was referring to the Lanksy kit.  Don't know if it's possible, but I would buy the basic kit with diamond stones.  I think mostly people won't need the extra coarse, so 3 diamond stones and the ceramic should be wonderful for most people.

Badly cut myself while sharpening a blade I forged from a bearing casing, partly because it was taking forever.  With the diamond stones it went quickly.

se Offline RF52

Reply #22 on: March 23, 2018, 09:26:40 AM

Sorry, I was referring to the Lanksy kit.  Don't know if it's possible, but I would buy the basic kit with diamond stones.  I think mostly people won't need the extra coarse, so 3 diamond stones and the ceramic should be wonderful for most people.

Badly cut myself while sharpening a blade I forged from a bearing casing, partly because it was taking forever.  With the diamond stones it went quickly.
I will see what they have Thanks!

se Offline RF52

Reply #23 on: March 23, 2018, 09:32:35 PM
So I got the deluxe sharpening system from lansky and a blademedic so I can do serrated knives also. Tried the system on a Ganzo and a CRKT minimalist I got from ThePeacent today and they got sharp enough for me so I really like the guided system. I also tried the blademedic on a Vic Handyman and that worked out great so I'm really happy with the purchase Didn't take a pic of it in use but here's one before i opened it and one with the load of stuff I got from TP

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: March 23, 2018, 09:43:57 PM
Dang my copy of the deluxe system looks close to the real deal...

se Offline RF52

Reply #25 on: March 23, 2018, 09:45:53 PM
I think that is a good thing

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: March 23, 2018, 09:47:30 PM

What does the stone side look like?

se Offline RF52

Reply #27 on: March 23, 2018, 09:48:19 PM

I'll put up a pic tomorrow for you

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: March 23, 2018, 09:48:54 PM

Great!
I'll post comparison pics thereafter.

se Offline RF52

Reply #29 on: March 23, 2018, 09:51:05 PM

Great!
I'll post comparison pics thereafter.
Cool How much did your version cost if you don't mind me asking?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD