Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My unofficial, non-badge-earning Workchamp 30-day Challenge

lew · 6 · 553

Offline lew

During my Rebar Challenge, I bought a Victorinox Workchamp; it was my first 111mm SAK.  After the Challenge, I decided to carry both of them for 30 days and try to use only the Workchamp and use the Rebar only if the SAK couldn't do the job.  That only happened twice: once when I needed the Rebar pliers and once when I needed the longer Rebar inline Phillips.

I've always been a SAK guy.  I've learned to do just about anything with one, kind of like duct tape.  The Rebar was a learning experience, but after 30 days, I knew I was going to carry it.  The first thing I noticed about the Workchamp was the size and weight requires a different carry method than my 91mm SAKs.  I tried pouches and sheaths and belt clips and plain old pocket carry before settling on either a Tec P-7 or a belt pouch depending on the situation.  Carry method settled and now I don't notice I'm carrying it.

The Workchamp has every tool I need except REAL pliers, but during the 30 days, I used the smaller pliers for a lot of things.  Several times, I didn't think they weren't big enough, but they did the job; I only had to go to the Rebar pliers once like I said above.

I LOVE the big, locking blade, but I didn't run into any situations where a 91mm SAK or the Rebar blade wouldn't work.  I also prefer the larger saw and file, but again, a smaller saw or file works fine for most of my needs.  And of course, there's all the normal SAK stuff like the can opener, bottle opener, corkscrew, tweezers, toothpick, awl, mini screwdriver, and those lovely, indispensable scissors.

Now the negatives.  The small inline Phillips is great, but the #2 inline Phillips is too short.  That, combined with the fat butt of the Workchamp, caused me to use the Rebar Phillips once.  Recreating the situation, I was able to do the job with the SAK can opener, but then why bother having an inline in the first place?  Another negative: the split ring interferes with the #2 Phillips opening.  If you don't consciously move it out of the way, it sometimes gets wedged and stops the Phillips from opening completely.  Minor thing, but then I couldn't find much not to like about the Workchamp.

The problem with carrying both (not really a problem since I'm doing it) is the redundancy of tools.  With the exception of the larger locking blade, larger file, and larger saw, which aren't really needed, I get the same tool set with with my Rebar and my Mountaineer, and I get the HOOK!.  In hindsight, a better 111mm compliment to the Rebar would have been the Outrider, but I can carry the Workchamp alone and have all the tools except the larger pliers (OK, I don't get the sheepsfoot either).  For me, the Workchamp is the best 111mm SAK when it's the only tool you carry.

OK, there's my take on the 111mm Victorinox Workchamp.  Are there any badges for unofficial, no pictures Challenges? :whistle:
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 09:35:47 PM by lew »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: My unofficial, non-badge-earning Workchamp 30-day Challenge
Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 10:02:03 PM
:like: write ups like these!  :like:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 10:08:45 PM
Good luck with your unofficial WorkChamp challenge :tu:
Hope there is a badge for your challenge  :salute:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 10:58:53 PM
I'm on a minimal challenge ATM but normally i carry mine regularly, just slips into my cargo pocket on a dangler, if i was to lose a layer on the champ it would be the scissor layer as it gets 0 use, i'm happy with the rest though  :tu:
Good luck with your challenge but i'm pretty sure photos are required for the badge, it's a challenge in itself to take a pic and post it everyday...its part of the fun  :salute:
Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

Offline lew

Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 11:32:36 PM
I'm on a minimal challenge ATM but normally i carry mine regularly, just slips into my cargo pocket on a dangler, if i was to lose a layer on the champ it would be the scissor layer as it gets 0 use, i'm happy with the rest though  :tu:
Good luck with your challenge but i'm pretty sure photos are required for the badge, it's a challenge in itself to take a pic and post it everyday...its part of the fun  :salute:
Challenge is over, unofficial and no pics. Just kidding about the badge.  I still wanted to voice my opinion about the Workchamp and how it works with the Rebar.

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 12:12:46 AM
I was pretty sure they could have fitted a longer Phillips in there if they extended the cutout in the liners and put a bend near the pin so it sits level but i see the clearance is pretty maxed out as it is, i would love to see under the plier handles in the closed position though to see if there is room under there  ???
Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD