Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Modding 108s (safari-line)

Shuya · 20 · 1053

de Offline Shuya

Modding 108s (safari-line)
on: January 03, 2018, 10:01:04 AM
Hi Folks,

I got several 108s here (4 safari hunters plus 5 safari troopers).
Since I plan a 1month vacation in france this year and need a larger, non locking "survival knife" with all the essentials I need in france (blade, can/bottle opener, saw, scissors, awl, t+t) I came up to the idea to replace the hunting blade with scissors and add new scales with tweezers and toothpick and needle to that.
So basically a slimmed down, non locking outrider that, combined with a PST will do everything I might need to plus beeing totally legal.  :climber:

Big question: do 91mm scissors fit into these models? Has anyone ever done this?

Regards Michael

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Re: Modding 108s (safari-line)
Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 10:55:08 AM
Hi Folks,

I got several 108s here (4 safari hunters plus 5 safari troopers).
Since I plan a 1month vacation in france this year and need a larger, non locking "survival knife" with all the essentials I need in france (blade, can/bottle opener, saw, scissors, awl, t+t) I came up to the idea to replace the hunting blade with scissors and add new scales with tweezers and toothpick and needle to that.
So basically a slimmed down, non locking outrider that, combined with a PST will do everything I might need to plus beeing totally legal.  :climber:

Big question: do 91mm scissors fit into these models? Has anyone ever done this?

Regards Michael

You forgot the corkscrew. Can't go to France without a corkscrew  :ahhh
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

de Offline Shuya

Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 11:20:39 AM

You forgot the corkscrew. Can't go to France without a corkscrew  :ahhh
Stupid me, forgot to mention that, of course. Thats why I called this a survival knife.  :drink:

fi Offline Gath

Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 05:32:26 PM
I didn't quite catch if you wanted to do this for practical reasons more as a hobbyist project, if the former just get an Outrider, pop the lock side scale of and either grind the lock bit to be inoperable, or just take the grey lock button and the things attached to it out, I guarantee that'll be easier and cheaper even if you don't own an Outrider, if you're careful you can even restore the lock after your trip.

de Offline Shuya

Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 08:30:13 PM
I didn't quite catch if you wanted to do this for practical reasons more as a hobbyist project, if the former just get an Outrider, pop the lock side scale of and either grind the lock bit to be inoperable, or just take the grey lock button and the things attached to it out, I guarantee that'll be easier and cheaper even if you don't own an Outrider, if you're careful you can even restore the lock after your trip.
Thanks, thought about that, too. But I only own one old Outrider that I will not mod for sentimental reasons. The newer ones have linerlocks now.
Yep, its more about "why not" , the slim profile with all the functions would be great on many backpacking trips where weight and legal reasons are considered.
Plus I got 4 Safari Hunters, so I wont lose anything

« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 08:31:25 PM by Shuya »

us Offline Simyo

Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 10:38:39 PM
It would probably be easier to use the scissors off of a 111mm and make scales with toothpick and tweezers.  If you do get a liner lock outrider you can disassemble it and just pull out the locking liner and reassemble and it will work as a traditional slip joint.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 02:55:26 AM
Could just carry a Huntsman. *ducks*
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

de Offline Shuya

Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 07:12:48 AM
Dudes...really?
All the answers are like I asked for a scissors mod for my rebar and everyone just tell me to get a spirit... :facepalm:

Ok, i will see if I get that working or not.

us Offline Simyo

Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 02:02:53 PM
I’ll be honest now I want to know and I want to try it myself.  I guess I’ll order a few cheap 108mm gaks and give it a whirl in the near future.  I only have 108mm solos so the only real advice I can tell you is you have to make the scales to be able to use scale tools. Sorry man.

us Offline Simyo

Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 01:41:15 AM
I finally tracked down some gaks and so I started testing with the knock offs but it turns out you can.  I’m using the saw spring and you have to shorten it about 2 mm and remove the tab in the spring that acts as a blade stopper.  I’ll have pictures in a few days, I decided to get overzealous and add the parcel hook to the build instead of having two awls and it turns out I don’t have any 2.5mm drill bits handy.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 01:55:54 AM
Sounds cool, I love hooks and scissors.  :like:
You know that you need a special sort of drill bit for this stainless steel, right?
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Simyo

Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 04:20:20 AM
Yeah, I have cobalt 1/8 inch drill bits for doing Alox pivot mods but not 2.5 mm.

us Offline Simyo

Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 09:44:48 PM
Well it took long enough but I was able to find some time to get it done and buttoned up today.

The first picture shows the mods to the springs.  The top spring is the stock spring out of the Repro GAK, the second is a bit tough to see in the shadow but I had to adjust the hook pivot area.  The third is the modded saw spring for the scissors.  The blade stop tab in the spring had to be removed.  The tab around the tension rivet had to rounded off in case the scissors are a tad open it will still close properly.  Finally, the spring had to be shortened a bit to accommodate the 91mm scissors in the open position.

The second picture shows a notch I made in the liners so that the nail nick on the hook could be accessed.

The final picture is the fully assembled outrider GAK.

In conclusion, it can be done and it’s a lot of fun to do, however, due to the price and condition of GAKs these days it’s much easier and cheaper to buy a 111mm slide lock outrider and pop the scale off and remove the slide lock and spring.  With that being said if I can find a pair of Vic 108mm in good shape I will make myself one of these with real Vic parts.

us Offline Simyo

Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 09:56:35 PM
Apparently I couldn’t put all three in one post so here is the third pic of the 108mm outrider assembled in all its glory.

Update: apparently square Instagram pics fit the size requirements but not normal sized ones.  You live and learn, and knowing is half the battle G.I. Joe.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 10:06:46 PM
This must be a first! Great job.  Looks fantastic  :like:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: March 21, 2018, 11:38:42 PM

:salute:

:cheers:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #16 on: March 22, 2018, 05:02:27 AM
 :like: :like:
Barry

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #18 on: March 22, 2018, 05:17:17 AM
Love the mod Tim... :like: :cheers:

Wish I have some fodders to try this mod out for kicks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #19 on: March 22, 2018, 05:17:58 AM
We posted at the same time.  :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!