Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The best "bare bones" SAK.

Anthony · 69 · 11097

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
The best "bare bones" SAK.
on: February 20, 2007, 06:50:56 AM
What in your opinion is the Swiss Army Knife that has everything you could need during the course of a day, and abslotely nothing you don't need?

I kinda boiled it down the the alox Soldier and got one on ebay for $6 (It has "I Love You" engraved on the back...in French :-* ).  Large blade, bottle opener with slotted driver and stripper, can opener with Phillips driver, and an awl.  So in 2 layers I get the bare bones basics...anything needed more than that I'll reach for the SOG.  It's also going to be the first alox scaled SAK I've seen in person; they look thin.

[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: The best "bare bones" SAK.
Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 11:53:14 AM
ALOX is thinner than comparable cellidor models because it doesn't use the same kind of internal framework as the cellidor models do.

The Soldier is a great knife and has spawned many variations.  I am certain you will find it to be pretty handy.  The tools are also heavier duty than the cellidor tools so don't be afraid to punish this one a bit.  It'll take it and come back for more.

But if you really want to go minimalist, check out the Waiter/Bartender.  According to UnknownVT in the SOSAK forum, it has the highest function/size ratio of any SAK, and that increases greatly if you add Plus scales and an eyeglass screwdriver.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 04:17:41 PM
... the the alox Soldier and got one on ebay for $6 (It has "I Love You" engraved on the back...in French :-* ). ....

The knife lasted longer than the love!   :D
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 04:37:48 PM
I just recieved the Alox Soldier a few days ago.  It is a fine tool.  It is the best bare bones SAK out there.  I am very pleased with it.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 12:59:10 AM
... the the alox Soldier and got one on ebay for $6 (It has "I Love You" engraved on the back...in French :-* ). ....

The knife lasted longer than the love!   :D

haha, apparently...I'm glad...I got it for about 75% off retail!
[

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 04:51:27 AM
75% off of retail.  Brilliant!!!!!!!! :D

I wish that victorinox made a tinker or super tinker with alox scales instead of celluloid.  Not that I think that plastics are inferior I just think that it would be cool. 

My Alox soldier is now my EDC as well as my "dress knife."  It does have that gentlemanly appeal yet it is still a useful rugged tool.  Then again, my spyderco Manix scares liberals if you pull it out to clean your fingernails so much for that dress knife. :) :) :)

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 07:53:13 PM
The Soldier and Waiter are great minimalist SAKs, as mentioned.

I would also recommend:

Compact
Cadet
Cadet II
Executive

I carry the Soldier more than any of the others above.  At the office I prefer my Golfer though, which is basically an 84mm Compact (retired model).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 07:54:53 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 09:00:20 PM
I find the Bantam,either Alox or cellidor versions do a good job for me.If you want maximum effect in 91mm cellidor..you'll do yourself right with the Compact.
I

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 05:34:29 PM
The Soldier and Cadet get my vote , preferably the soldier - it's tuffer .

Chris

Offline tholiver

Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 11:20:24 PM
IMO
Best 84mm (Celidor)- the Waiter. a minimalist one layer sak that does the job of a 2 layer!
Or if you like Alox get the 84mm Alox Bantam.
Best 91mm would be the Huntsman
Best Alox 91mm would be the Farmer.
In 111mm i would say OH Trekker. But i would choose the Outrider if it only had the OH Trekkers one-handed opening blade!

Offline Icheatpeople

Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 12:56:33 AM
the soldier for me and/or the lumberjack.

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 07:48:40 AM
The Soldier and Waiter are great minimalist SAKs, as mentioned.

I would also recommend:

Compact
Cadet
Cadet II
Executive
The SAKofNuts speaks the truth. Those are all extremely capable for their size.

In particular, the Compact is one of my favorites for urban EDC; the Executive is much the same, only smaller.

My absolute best-bang-for-the-buck space-efficient SAK is an oddball one I got off eBay: an Executive with *smooth* alox scales. About as thin as a cellidor Classic, but with large and small knife blades, scissors, nail file, "orange peeler" (short serrated blade and small flat screwdriver, plus a sharp notch cutter that's great for cutting taped packages). I forget what Vic called that model, but they didn't make that many, especially in the smooth scales. Prolly a collector's item, but it's just too damn handy to NOT carry.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 01:30:56 AM
My absolute best-bang-for-the-buck space-efficient SAK is an oddball one I got off eBay: an Executive with *smooth* alox scales. About as thin as a cellidor Classic, but with large and small knife blades, scissors, nail file, "orange peeler" (short serrated blade and small flat screwdriver, plus a sharp notch cutter that's great for cutting taped packages). I forget what Vic called that model, but they didn't make that many, especially in the smooth scales. Prolly a collector's item, but it's just too damn handy to NOT carry.

Got a picture of that one?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 01:50:16 AM
I believe he is referring to the Director.

Bottom picture:

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=155&Itemid=35

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 08:24:08 PM
It would be an Executive if it is smooth alox.  Look at the "Alcoa" knife on the left of that bottom picture.  Aren't the Directors all stainless?
- Terry

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
Reply #15 on: April 21, 2007, 06:26:52 PM
I like the Recruit.  I have a Wenger Standard Issue, and it's great, but I never really need an awl.  I like the Recruit's small blade to go along with it's main blade, and I LOVE the way the Red scaled SAKs' thinner blades slice.  Much better then the more robust Alox models.  Bare bones?  Recruit all the way. 

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 06:06:44 PM

Got a picture of that one?
Nope, and my camera's in the shop, unforunately. I'll try to remember to post a shot of it when Canon send my camera back.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 06:09:10 PM by Gryffin »

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #17 on: April 23, 2007, 06:12:22 PM
It would be an Executive if it is smooth alox.  Look at the "Alcoa" knife on the left of that bottom picture.  Aren't the Directors all stainless?
Correctomundo! Mine's definitely not stainless. That Alcan knife looks like mine, except mine has plain silver alox scales, with no ad logo, just an anodized red Vic crest on one side.

Offline Agreatscot

Reply #18 on: April 25, 2007, 12:17:14 PM
My favorite 'bare bones' would be:
Farmer
Rucksack
Rambler
Victorinox Nylon Solo Plus  The latest add to the list is from Felinevet and is amazing/
Bantam Alox I call it 'the Corona Special' Pop the Cap, slice the lime!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: April 25, 2007, 12:29:33 PM
Good to see you hangin out here Peter!

Def

Offline Agreatscot

Reply #20 on: April 25, 2007, 12:39:36 PM
Thanks Def! There is a lot of information here. I need to visit more regularly.

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #21 on: April 26, 2007, 01:58:28 AM
This is the best place to hang out Peter stick around and find out for yourself!
Yabba dabba doo!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #22 on: May 05, 2007, 11:38:04 PM
best minimal sak has got to be a lumberjack, and the alox one will be even cooler
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline mhsvz39

Reply #23 on: April 29, 2022, 05:57:06 AM
Alox Bantam

us Offline Sos24

Reply #24 on: April 29, 2022, 07:44:04 AM
Of current models, I would have to say the Compact or the Rambler.  If including discontinued models, the Voyageur was the best.

us Offline Swisster

• Ambassador of SAK's
Reply #25 on: April 29, 2022, 10:37:55 AM
It's hard to beat a Compact for how thin it is and all the tools you get in it. The scissors and the pen make it a must have and the unique nail file in the hook is great also

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: April 29, 2022, 11:07:03 AM
 :iagree: have to agree on the Compact which has the hook/file my Golfer lacked (still loved it though!).

00 Offline Jmoita

Reply #27 on: April 29, 2022, 01:37:12 PM
I don't have any of those but I agree with Soldier and Waiter.
Soldier as the absolut basics in a very beautiful form. Cutting, drilling, prying, scraping, screwdrivers.
Waiter even simpler but complete. Cut, light prying, scrape with corkscrew, drill plastic, wtv

us Offline knifecoop

Reply #28 on: April 29, 2022, 03:05:27 PM
Agree that the Compact or Soldier are great knives that work way above their weight. Carrying something different in a minimalist  SAK today a 108mm  Solo Plus.

* IMG_0550_edited.jpg (Filesize: 282.13 KB)
Cheers!

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #29 on: April 29, 2022, 03:07:57 PM
On any given day, what I need is usually substantially more than what most 'barebones' SAKs would have.
I need the woodsaw, almost every day. I also need a Phillips screwdriver and generally favour the inline over the back layer version, because having the corkscrew gives me a marlinspike and the ability to fix a colleague's glasses.
This requirement alone means most of the thinner SAKs are off the list, so I guess a Huntsman Lite or maybe an old Woodsman would tick the boxes... But then I've started finding the scissors and pliers getting more frequent use too - And this is why I started buying lots of SAKs! :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%