Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Pocket Square Review

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Gerber Pocket Square Review
on: March 22, 2018, 07:19:20 PM

I am a member of various forums, knife sites and Facebook groups. I am part of the community not only because I am a knife knut but I like to see what's trending. I've seen many different blades take center stage, many of them budget blades. One blade that I see over and over again is the Gerber Pocket Square.

The Pocket Square is just under 4 inches long and has machined aluminum handles. The handles are not overly slick and give a nice modern look to a dressy pocket knife. The handles are interesting because they hide the pivot screw. Most folders have an exposed screw for allowing adjustment to the pivot. This is not unusual but a nice touch and it gives the handles a nice clean look.

I've had many knives that I've hated simply because the pocket clip wasn't designed well; Kershaw Needs Work for instance. If it doesn't ride well or creates a hot spot when in use then it's a turn off. The Pocket Square has a very deep clip reminiscent of a nice pen. With the exception of the Gerber logo the clip doesn't give any indication that it's a knife. It's also thin enough that it feels invisible when using the blade during cutting chores.

The meat and potatoes of any knife is the blade. Coming in at 3 inches the drop point blade of 7Cr17MoV is decent for mundane tasks, but wouldn't stand up to long cutting sessions without a touch up. The blade opens with a thumb lift as Gerber calls it, very similar to a thumb disc seen on other knives. Out of the box opening is smooth and not gritty. Adding some 3-in1 gave me the ability to flick the blade open fairly easy.   The blade profile is ok, I would have preferred a higher grind for better cutting. The blade is very stout and thick for a small gentleman's folder.

Gerber says the locking mechanism for this blade is a liner lock but you could almost consider it a framelock.  The lock is really thick like the blade and even has a lock bar cutout like a framelock.  Because the lock is nestled between the aluminum handle I guess it could be considered a liner lock. Locking is very secure with no movement or rocking. Lock is vey easy to disengage in spite of it's thickness and the way it's recessed into the handles.

I recommend the Pocket Square as a nice light duty gentleman's knife. It goes with just about everything I've paired with it and it doesn't raise eyebrows when it's opened. It can be had for under $30 and making it a great budget folder.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Gerber Pocket Square Review
Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 07:27:16 PM
Interesting design, thanks for sharing.   :cheers:

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 08:18:28 PM
I caught one too when I was getting my SOG q3 from REI. Pretty sleek little knife. Can flick it open really quick too, and that Emerson style thumb disc is a good rest for the thumb when trying to get purchase too. The deep carry clip is really really nice look, or lack there of...
IMG_4709.PNG
* IMG_4709.PNG (Filesize: 151.61 KB)
IMG_4710.PNG
* IMG_4710.PNG (Filesize: 231.56 KB)
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 02:31:14 PM
definitely looks cool and carries discreet.   :tu:

I Like it!!
Thanks for the pics and review, hadn't heard of this one   :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%